Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default .308 or .300 win mag?

I'm lookin for a new hunting rifle. I've been using a 7mm08 and have had pretty good luck with it. But for a number of reasons I want to grab something new. Whatever I get, I'd like it to be a remmy model 700 stainless synthetic combo.

What I'm working between are the following calibers: .308win, 30-06spring, and .300win mag.

I know there isn't really such thing as an all purpose gun, but basically it's going to be used for whitetail, with bigger game like elk and black bear a possibility too. I am for sure a recoil junkie, but I want something with serious punch on game and not just my shoulder.

I also love to shoot. So who has experience with these platforms? What are some benefits and drawbacks to each? Has anyone heard of 300 win mag destroying scopes after a hundred rounds or so? Or is that reserved for seriously large calibers (ie .375, .338lappua .408 stuff)?

(Berks County)

Default Re: .308 or .300 win mag?

Any of the 3 you have listed will work, right now the 06 ammo is more readily available from what I've seen, but the .308 will always be the one I grab first, and you can sit at the bench all day and it won't beat you up, I'm usually pretty good after a box of 20 in the 300 and have had 0 scope failures with the 300
    Last edited by el diablo; March 19th, 2013 at 10:02 PM.

(Berks County)

Yes availability is also pretty important. Seems like there is still a decent amount of 30-06 surplus (I'd only use non-corrosive of course) ammo available for relatively cheap. Can 300 win mag be had for reasonable prices? Like 20 bucks a box? Or will I be paying out the nose for it? I (like most these days) am on a budget, so I want to make sure there I'm not shooting gold! Haha

(Delaware County)

I think the 308 is the way to go. Shoot it all day long. Ammo and reloading supplies are plentiful. Packs more than enough punch. Shoot the 175 gr and thats it. One set of doping charts and the scope is all tuned to go.

The 300 is just too much. Overkill. Unless you are looking to engage game at a 1000 yds plus.

Quote Originally Posted by tgriffit View Post
    I'm lookin for a new hunting rifle. I've been using a 7mm08 and have had pretty good luck with it. But for a number of reasons I want to grab something new. Whatever I get, I'd like it to be a remmy model 700 stainless synthetic combo.

What I'm working between are the following calibers: .308win, 30-06spring, and .300win mag.

I know there isn't really such thing as an all purpose gun, but basically it's going to be used for whitetail, with bigger game like elk and black bear a possibility too. I am for sure a recoil junkie, but I want something with serious punch on game and not just my shoulder.

I also love to shoot. So who has experience with these platforms? What are some benefits and drawbacks to each? Has anyone heard of 300 win mag destroying scopes after a hundred rounds or so? Or is that reserved for seriously large calibers (ie .375, .338lappua .408 stuff)?
    For versitility, the 300WM is the way to go. If you shoot as much as you say, then reloading will be your best friend. With that in mind, you can load down a 300WM to 110 grain bullet or upload to a 240 grain. That is a huge varience. You can hot load within SAMMI specks and crank out some awesome performance if you wish to shoot Elephants or something along those lines.

Yes sir, the 300WM is, in my opinion, the go to caliber out of the two based on the info you have provided. If however, you change your hunting desires, the info then would change and so would my opinion.

Now, putting aside your question for either the .308 or .300WM. The 7mm08 will harvest any big game animal in the United States. Stick with what you got!

CL
    Last edited by customloaded; March 19th, 2013 at 11:20 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    For versitility, the 300WM is the way to go. If you shoot as much as you say, then reloading will be your best friend. With that in mind, you can load down a 300WM to 110 grain bullet or upload to a 240 grain. That is a huge varience. You can hot load within SAMMI specks and crank out some awesome performance if you wish to shoot Elephants or something along those lines.

Yes sir, the 300WM is, in my opinion, the go to caliber out of the two based on the info you have provided. If however, you change your hunting desires, the info then would change and so would my opinion.

Now, putting aside your question for either the .308 or .300WM. The 7mm08 will harvest any big game animal in the United States. Stick with what you got!

CL
    I do not have a press. That being said, my best friend and long time hunting buddy does reload and he has dies for a 300 win mag already. So that might be the way I go. Over kill is always more fun haha

As far as the 7mm08, all ill say is it isn't a remmy 700. And after shooting said buddy's 700s, it's time for an upgrade!

(Allegheny County)

Buy a quality scope and you won't have to worry about it being destroyed by any caliber. The 300 win mag is a very versatile cartridge. Can be loaded down to 30-06 velocities or full power loads.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by YZEATER View Post
    Buy a quality scope and you won't have to worry about it being destroyed by any caliber.
    In addition, be sure to get quality rings to mount your scope. They make a world of difference

I use Leupold rings for all my scope mounts and they are quality made and hold tight. Never had a problem my rifles not holding zero.

(Adams County)

saave your money and get a reloading outfit. you will farther ahead that way.

(Centre County)

If you have to get a 30 caliber for hunting I would suggest the 300WSM, not 300WM. A short action is easier to carry. I have a Sako Finnlight in 300WSM for bear, and it is easy to lug around.
    The 7mm08 is a super nice platform, really no need for anything else. Reloading and practice are more important than a closet of rifles that are not mastered.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast