Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default 1st of 2013, but

I am back trying to give the ground grizzlys grey hair.

Got my first today, but----I'll get to that later.----I have been out everyday this week. The one I got today, was a big red male.

I am seeing quite a few chucks, but with the wind up they are really spooky. With the weather being cold and really windy, there is not a lot of cover to help if you are stalking. My typical shot is 200 to 200+. I will tell you, a few days I thought that I was back deer hunting. Call it February in April.

In the picture you can see I am really happy (yeh, right ! ! !)---I am 1 for 10 in hits. The gun is printng great at 200, sooooooo I will blame it on the wind.
    That would be my BUT ! !

No way. I have been doing this long enough to know when to throw a slider. Really windy a big curve ball or left to right, a mean screwball. There are times the miss was so bad, the chuck(s) kept munching on munchies.

I have to blame me and being overconfident. To make the right shot you still have to go over your disciplines and rely on your fundamentals and knowledge. You may not hit them, but you better give them a scare or your screwing up.

A few days I was freezing my arse off and said to myself ; Self, have you ever seen this kind of weather during Chuck season. Honestly no.
    fossil
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ImAfossil; April 7th, 2013 at 12:27 PM.
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

Default Re: 1st of 2013, but

Looks like fun I havent hog hunted in years I got my dads Remington 721 in 222 magnum that I used when I was a kid thinking its time to bring it out of retirement.

(Westmoreland County)

Must dust off the .22-250...

(Delaware County)

Glad you got your first. hope they start comming in bunches now that you broke the ice.

As I mentioned a few times before, I am not a hunter so I have no idea the answer. What do you guys do with the chucks after you shoot them? Do they have fur worth keeping? Can you eat them? (Please don't take this as trolling, I really don't know)
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    Glad you got your first. hope they start comming in bunches now that you broke the ice.

As I mentioned a few times before, I am not a hunter so I have no idea the answer. What do you guys do with the chucks after you shoot them? Do they have fur worth keeping? Can you eat them? (Please don't take this as trolling, I really don't know)
    Cut the head off and send it to Punxsutawney Phil....that lieing bat rasturd...

(Lebanon County)

MPAN72:

I once said about eating groundhogs----If someboby has given you a great recipe, they have never eaten a chuck.

My quote: "Cook it up anyway you like. You will chew on a piece for months, then die of starvation".

I have a way to dispose of the chucks, but I let the Dairy Farmers make the call-----4 of the 5 farms I hunt, they want the deceased shoved back down the hole.

Again, this is the property owners call, not mine.

fossil
    Do the eyes go first ?????? MAYBE NOT !

(Beaver County)

Congratulations on your first ground grizzily of the season.

I agree about the weather,wouldn't be bad except for that darn wind.

Cold tolerable,cold and windy to boot the heck with that.

Good hunting and welcome back to Pa.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by ImAfossil View Post
    MPAN72:

I once said about eating groundhogs----If someboby has given you a great recipe, they have never eaten a chuck.

My quote: "Cook it up anyway you like. You will chew on a piece for months, then die of starvation".

I have a way to dispose of the chucks, but I let the Dairy Farmers make the call-----4 of the 5 farms I hunt, they want the deceased shoved back down the hole.

Again, this is the property owners call, not mine.

fossil
    You bring back great memories. Growing up in Ohio, I used to hunt them at some loooong distances with a used, sporterized Enfield with a fixed 8x scope. I learned a lot about long distance shooting from hunting whistle pigs.

I'd love to find some local farms that would like their hog population thinned. Around this part of Bucks too many of the farms are now owned by Chablis and Brie, New Yorkers who post every square inch.

(York County)

On our farm we leave the dead ones out in the field as fox food. They usually disappear in under 12 hours. On our rolling hills I'll use a 22 mag to a bit over 100 yards, then a bushmaster predator in .223 for longer shots.

(Lehigh County)

In the pic which one is the hog. LOL Nice job but the misses have go to stop.
    Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast