Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Let's say someone tosses it in a purse and a pen works it's way into the trigger guard. In MY opinion, an EXTERNAL SAFETY (there are obviously other safety devices INSIDE most handguns) prevents a firearm from discharging when the trigger is "pulled". In the case of the Glock, the safety is a part of the face of the trigger, when pressure is placed on the trigger (by the pen) there is the potential for discharge.

Yes, I know it SHOULDN'T be "tossed in a purse" without a holster or something protecting the trigger guard, but THAT sort of reinforces my point. You almost need a "safety" (by covering the trigger guard) for the SAFETY.

so what if that happens with another pistol with the safety off?
    Saiga 7.62 AK, Yugo SKS, Glock 23C

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
    so what if that happens with another pistol with the safety off?
    I knew someone would reply this way.

We aren't talking about ANOTHER pistol with the safety off. We are talking about a GLOCK, with the safety "on".

I CAN tell you that if my Colt Pony (Double Action Only - NO external safety) were subjected to the EXACT same situation, it would be MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH less likely to discharge as the trigger pull is fairly heavy. Could it still discharge? Yup. Would I suggest that someone carry a Pony in a purse like that? No.
    Also, as you suggested, ANOTHER pistol, such as a 1911 cocked and NOT locked, placed in a purse could be disastrous. (and only slightly less safe than the Glock)

Most of us on this forum know enough to keep the finger off the trigger until ready to fire. Not everyone is that bright. Much like when my father used say "locks just keep honest people honest", safety devices mostly just keep peoples stupidity in check.
    By properly handling a Glock (or ANY firearm for that matter), you could expect about the same level of safety as if that "trigger safety" didn't exist.
    I'm just pointing to what I see as an almost pointless safety device when it comes to preventing a discharge by "bumping" the trigger.

My post isn't a this gun vs that gun post. Please don't get defensive. I'm not "bashing" the Glock, I OWN and SHOOT one myself, but that doesn't mean I don't think the design can't be improved upon. I think a grip safety would be the only thing I would add to make it "perfect" FOR ME.

Glock on! dude(s) and dude-ettes!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

well you could always add an external safety or use a safe-t-blok
    Saiga 7.62 AK, Yugo SKS, Glock 23C

(Allegheny County)

I don't need additional gadgets.

I guess I typed too much. Perhaps my point got lost in all those words.

My point (again) is that I think the Glock "safety" is mostly useless, due to where it is located.

Edited to add:
    Oh, perhaps when you said "you", you weren't talking about me?
    "You" meaning anyone buying the firearm?
    Last edited by Emptymag; February 20th, 2007 at 04:04 PM. Reason: new thought
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Glock 23 Nah! it's the XD for me!!
    In their hearts humans plan their course, but the LORD establishes their steps.

(Delaware County)

Part of the reason for the lever in the center of the trigger, is to act as a drop safety. If the pistol were to be dropped on the rear of the slide, the safety lever has far less mass then the trigger itself, and should prevent an accidental discharge. That's Glock's story anyway.

I wonder how far you have to drop a Glock for the momentum of the plastic trigger to overcome more than 5 pounds of spring pressure and friction.

(York County)

gaston glock's safe action pistol is perfect because of simplicity there are actually three safeties in total on the glock .in order for it to accidentally discharge all 3 would have to be compromised

(York County)

i don't think that just the model 23 is perfect but the fire control and safeties are on all models.

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    Part of the reason for the lever in the center of the trigger, is to act as a drop safety. If the pistol were to be dropped on the rear of the slide, the safety lever has far less mass then the trigger itself, and should prevent an accidental discharge. That's Glock's story anyway.

I wonder how far you have to drop a Glock for the momentum of the plastic trigger to overcome more than 5 pounds of spring pressure and friction.
    I had read that in the frisbee test the glock fired more often then not...
    Personally the only safety I was ever taught to use was finger off the trigger. Seen 1911 go off when the safety was suposedly on, seen decockers let a bullet fly, seen Ruger .22 mk2 go full auto. All of these would have not happened had the fingers been off the trigger.

Single action pistols are ready to go as soon as the safety is off... If the safety is on the trigger then anything hitting that trigger makes it go bang. If I am not wrong, Glock claims to 3 safeties within this one safety... I only see one lever, therefor one safety as it is on the trigger its self, i see it as a false security. I have a Sigma that uses the same safety, mind you it is double action only. for clarification, a revolver has no safety but carried in double action is perfectly safe with out a finger on the trigger. For this very reason, my Sigma is always holstered unless I am shooting with it. I did hear of a loaded Glock going off in a padded case while in transport Case was bumped, the dimples in the case where inside the trigger guard and the gun slipped forward... Gun went off. Would not have happened in a good holster.
    Do I dislike Glocks? By no means, If i did I would not have a gun that so closely resembles it. My main trouble with Glock was the price and the grips. I found the grips too bulky, and the price made my wallet think twice. Mind you I think Glock PR has a great deal with people raving about them, In parts they have no more then Sigma yet cost twice as much.

When a gun is in demand, the price goes up... The demand for glocks was created mainly by their PR, good tactic as now they no longer have to do much PR to get good sales. Mind you as the market saturates, the price will drop.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(York County)

how can you compare a glock to a sigma !the sigma is merely a poorly manufactured copy of the glock fire control system and the other components are no better .if have fired the sigma in all their calibers and have found that the sights are poorly regulated on top off being inaccurate.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast