Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

But can it core an apple?
    The Walther P99 can.
    ~Wales

Unhappy Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

There is no such thing as the perfect pistol, and I wish people (not pointing fingers at anyone) would not claim that anything is perfect.

There is only what works for the individual. Wether it be Glock, XD, 1911, or Hi Point....we maybe not Hi Point<---JOKE. It all boils down to personal preference.

And I must agree with FultonCoShooter, for strictly home denfense the shotgun is still the proverbial force to be delt with.
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

‘Opinions are like … !’ Yeah, this could turnout to be a contentious thread – especially with some of the statements that have, already, been made. I won’t agree that the G-23 is, ‘the perfect pistol’. Glock has had a lot of trouble with their 40 caliber models. (Hopefully, all behind them now!)

Which is not to say that the G-23 is a, ‘bad pistol’; it’s just not the pistol for me. I like the slower push and lower pressure of a G-21 – Especially a G-21 with an extended and ported barrel like the ones that I use.

Other pistols? The Steyr M-A1 is highly regarded by many who own them. Frankly, I wouldn’t mind owning an M-A1, myself. As far as I’m concerned, the jury’s, still, out on S&W’s new M&P pistol; it may be strong; it may be durable; it might even have a number of accessories available for it someday; but, one thing’s for certain: It is, definitely, more comfortable to hold onto than any Glock!

Personally, I’ll never be a fan of the Springfield XD; and I shoot with lots of people who own them. I’ll agree that Glocks don’t have (and, maybe, never will have) a true match-grade trigger; however, to categorically state that many other pistols have a, ‘better trigger’ than the Glock is to be either misinformed, ingenuous, or naïve.

Many of us who regularly shoot Glocks have modified our own triggers; other Glock shooters have used Sotello or Vanek to build first class combat triggers for their pistols. Personally, I’ve yet to fire an XD from reset as quickly, easily, or accurately as even a factory-stock Glock is able to do. Ease of firing from reset and numerous action modifications are to be numbered among Glock’s strong suites.

SIG’s new DAK trigger has the advantage of being able to repeatedly strike the same hesitant primer without working the slide; but, I wouldn’t say that I like the DAK trigger pull any better than what I’m presently using on either of my Glocks. I’ve always kept an old range officer’s remark about Smith and Wesson semiautomatics fixed in mind: ‘When it comes to pistols breaking on the line, the S&W autos are always the first ones to go!’ He would have known, too, because he spent more than 10 years working on one of the busiest public shooting ranges in the Poconos.

(That same Pocono range is, still, running a Glock Model G-17 that now has over a million and a half rounds through it! This G-17 is presently on its second barrel, and has only been rebuilt once by Smyrna.)

Glock pistols aren’t perfect – never have been – but neither do Glocks deserve to be, ‘whipping post pistols’ for whatever else is out there. Someday Gaston will finally cave-in, get together with Cominolli, and put a manual safety on his plastic wonder pistols. Ain’t no need for Glock to change their triggers, though; Glock triggers are among the best in the industry. If you doubt it, compare the numbers of winning event shooters who use Glocks against other winner’s and their pistols. (Ain’t a lot of XD’s on that list, now, are there.)

Both of my Glocks have completely polished actions, modified springs, 3.5# connectors, and trigger stops. One breaks clean at 4.9#’s; the other breaks clean at 5.2#’s. Both triggers stop, ‘dead’ after the FP lug releases. Each pistol is, also, ‘greased lightening’ from reset – Something that it is impossible for any XD or SIG to accomplish. It has, yet, to fail: If I hand my Glock to an XD shooter, within the first magazine, he’ll end up putting a repetitive round into the air (or, worse, into the ceiling) and hand the pistol back to me with a comment to the effect that, ‘Glocks aren’t for him’.

I chose the Glock because I wanted: high magazine capacity, abundant parts availability, lots and lots of modifications, and easy repairs that I could do at my own workbench. After almost 5 years of ownership, these goals have, all, been more than well achieved!

As I said, ‘Perfect’ Glock ain’t;’ but Glocks are durable and utilitarian almost beyond belief! The Glock trigger is different. Any shooter who complains about this trigger is, simply, admitting that he's never learned how to master it. You shouldn’t attempt to fire a Glock like, either, a revolver or a single action auto. The Glock trigger has its own technique – short first shot take-up with very little trigger travel, thereafter.

The last time I had this conversation with JR at Lone Wolf, he told me that he, simply, ‘twitches’ his finger in order to do double and triple taps with his Glocks; his son, Dan, subsequently told me that his father is one of the fastest shooters with a Glock that he’s ever seen. (I believe him!)

After 5 years of regular use, I’d rate Glock’s weakest point as its complete lack of an active primary safety. Correspondingly, I’d rate Glock’s strongest point as its phenomenal ability to fire quickly and accurately from reset. Here’s a target I fired last Saturday afternoon. At the time I was firing faster than anyone else in the room. It, probably, took me about 15 seconds to get off 20 rounds from 2 magazines.

(Try this with any other pistol!)

Bottom line? There are plenty of other prettier and more expensive pistols out there; but, I don’t need any pistol other than the Glock I’ve already got. If the OP, here, likes his new G-23, fine!

I’d suggest he go over to his local Wal-Mart, stock up on plenty of ammo, and enjoy learning how to fire his new compact Glock. $600 bucks, complete, sounds a little high for a G-23 with standard sights; but, haven’t we, all, paid the man’s asking price for a gun that we liked? (I know I have!) The G-23 is an easy-to-carry, high capacity pistol that packs plenty of wallop! If it were mine the first things I’d change would be upgrades to: Meprolight night sights, a steel Wolff guide rod, and one of the new Lone Wolf, ‘skeletonized’ 3.5# connectors.

Enjoy!

PS: That new G-23 will, probably, make you feel better about walking around Philly after dark; but, you might want to consider carrying unchambered for awhile until you get used to Glock's, 'Pure Combat Action'!

(Union County)

Cool Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

IMHO I think the Jenning pistol will give you the most bang for the buck and is the perfect concealed carry and home protection pistol out there.

With all the money you save on buying the pistol you will have a lot of dollars left over to buy ammo to practice with. The last time looked they even provide you with a manual too.

Save the money and buy either Jennings or Hi-Point.

Seriously this tread is like:

If the Glock works for you fine--if the Jenning works for me fine also

grizz

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-c View Post
    I think the glock 23 is the perfect weapon for home defense and concealed carry...
    Not trying to rain on your parade, but have you seen this? (BTW, I have two...a 19 & 26)

(Philadelphia County)

Cool Re: GLOCK 23! Possibly the perfect pistol!

Thanks everyone for your opinions. I suppose Glock may not be the perfect pistol as I stated earlier but I still think it is still a Damn good one and that there is no such thing as a perfect pistol. As for KB (Ka Booms) I believe that this can happen with any pistol and that with proper maintenance and proper ammunition load these can be prevented. There are many people who have used .40 S&W glocks with thousands of rounds with no problem. Mine is still new so I did have not fired that many yet. But, if it happen to Kaboom I will report it to you guys. I will always love my glock 23 and still think its a amazing weapon. Happy New Year my fellow 2nd Amendment crusadars! God Bless america and its people!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-c View Post
    Thanks everyone for your opinions. I suppose Glock may not be the perfect pistol as I stated earlier but I still think it is still a Damn good one and that there is no such thing as a perfect pistol. As for KB (Ka Booms) I believe that this can happen with any pistol and that with proper maintenance and proper ammunition load these can be prevented. There are many people who have used .40 S&W glocks with thousands of rounds with no problem. Mine is still new so I did have not fired that many yet. But, if it happen to Kaboom I will report it to you guys. I will always love my glock 23 and still think its a amazing weapon. Happy New Year my fellow 2nd Amendment crusadars! God Bless america and its people!
    It may be the perfect pistol for you. The perfect pistol is one you can hit with.one that dances to your tune. And everyone sings a different song. --Rat--
    "AMERICANS Used To ROAR Like LIONS For LIBERTY,- NOW They BLEAT Like SHEEP For SECURITY."-_Norman Vincent Peale-____________________REMEMBER. "SECURITY WITHOUT LIBERTY Is Called PRISON."---J.L.W

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    Glock pistols aren’t perfect – never have been – but neither do Glocks deserve to be, ‘whipping post pistols’ for whatever else is out there. Someday Gaston will finally cave-in, get together with Cominolli, and put a manual safety on his plastic wonder pistols. Ain’t no need for Glock to change their triggers, though; Glock triggers are among the best in the industry. If you doubt it, compare the numbers of winning event shooters who use Glocks against other winner’s and their pistols. (Ain’t a lot of XD’s on that list, now, are there.)
    Glock actually sold some pistols with similar safeties. Maybe if you poke around on the internet, you can find the story. Ultimately, I think what happened was that nobody wanted a pistol with a thumb safety, and a creepy trigger with a good amount of pre-travel, and three passive safeties.

I would really like to get a Glock 10mm with interchangable backstraps. I get used to my G21 after a while, but when handled back-to-back with a 1911, the big hump on the back of the Glock grip seems unnecessary and uncomfortable.

You should be able to pick up a new Glock for $500. Targetmaster has used ones a lot for $400. The 45s and 10mm pistols go for about $30 more.
    Last edited by Suburban; January 3rd, 2007 at 01:03 AM.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
    ‘Opinions are like … !’ Yeah, this could turnout to be a contentious thread – especially with some of the statements that have, already, been made. I won’t agree that the G-23 is, ‘the perfect pistol’. Glock has had a lot of trouble with their 40 caliber models. (Hopefully, all behind them now!)
    Such as???

Which is not to say that the G-23 is a, ‘bad pistol’; it’s just not the pistol for me. I like the slower push and lower pressure of a G-21 – Especially a G-21 with an extended and ported barrel like the ones that I use.
    You ever shoot the ported barrel from a retention position?

SIG’s new DAK trigger has the advantage of being able to repeatedly strike the same hesitant primer without working the slide; but, I wouldn’t say that I like the DAK trigger pull any better than what I’m presently using on either of my Glocks.
    That's a red herring. What is the default drill when the gun goes click?

I’ve always kept an old range officer’s remark about Smith and Wesson semiautomatics fixed in mind: ‘When it comes to pistols breaking on the line, the S&W autos are always the first ones to go!’ He would have known, too, because he spent more than 10 years working on one of the busiest public shooting ranges in the Poconos.
    This was just after the 3rd gen S&Ws came out - when I asked him if the 3rd gen semi-autos were better than 2nd gen, a friend who worked for Smith answered, "We make great revolvers."

With that said, I had a 6906 that was a TACK-DRIVER. I'm talking 15 yard head shots (5" circle) all day long - at combat speeds. I hated the DA/SA transition and the mag disconnect, so I dumped it.

Quote Originally Posted by FRISteve View Post
    Such as???
    Well, how about 1/2 the stuff posted about Glocks over at TGZ.

You ever shoot the ported barrel from a retention position?
    Yes, I’ve done plenty of shooting from retention with ported barrels. Never had a problem. Perhaps you’re thinking of slide porting, or maybe you’re just unlucky?

That's a red herring. What is the default drill when the gun goes click?
    Red herring? I think we, both, know the drill. So what? You've missed the point. The import of the remark goes to the trigger pull.

This was just after the 3rd gen S&Ws came out - when I asked him if the 3rd gen semi-autos were better than 2nd gen, a friend who worked for Smith answered, "We make great revolvers."

With that said, I had a 6906 that was a TACK-DRIVER. I'm talking 15 yard head shots (5" circle) all day long - at combat speeds. I hated the DA/SA transition and the mag disconnect, so I dumped it.
    ‘We make great revolvers.’ Nice to see you have a sense of humor! I was beginning to wonder. I’ve got a Model 59 in the safe that I really like, too; but, again, so what?

Now it’s your turn to post something, anything, so that I can pick it apart.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast