Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Default Question carry on property posted No Guns

Hey all Brand new memeber first post, have been coming here for a while tho.

Question: I have a PA LTCF, I sometimes carry concealed on me, but mostly I just keep my handgun in my truck.

So, question is, if a building is posted with No Guns signs, would or could I be considered a defiant tresspasser by simply parking my vehicle outside the building, locked of course, with my gun in the vehicle, and walking in WITHOUT carrying on my person.

PS, I know some of you will say that leaving it in the truck unattended is unwise because of possible burglary etc. it is well hidden, and I'm sure they would take the few bucks that are in the console and run, without bothering to rip apart the rest of the vehicle, for some unknown score, in addition to the cash they already found.

Default Re: Question carry on property posted No Guns

I doubt you could be charged with anything for leaving it in the car. Don't underestimate the craftiness of thieves, though. I have seen cars competely gone through, audio equipment stolen, parts stolen off of vehicles, etc. in a matter of minutes when owners went inside for a few minutes to do some shopping or take a piss or whatever. If you want to leave it in the car, get a lock box to put under the seat (secured to the seat frame) or use same lockbox and secure in the trunk. There is no such thing as "good enough" security. A determined, crafty thief WILL get what he wants, its just a matter of not giving them the time or making it more trouble than its worth.
    Last edited by Keith A; April 5th, 2013 at 07:15 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks Keith,

but, my "PS" was meant to keep us on topic, I'm not looking for input on my vehicular security, my point is,

DO THEY HAVE A CASE FOR TRESSPASS, OR NOT?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by JL Stag View Post
    So, question is, if a building is posted with No Guns signs, would or could I be considered a defiant tresspasser by simply parking my vehicle outside the building,

Where is "outside"? Their parking lot or street?

(Montgomery County)

The answer is no. Not a "trespass". Just a property rule violation. Sign would have to say something to effect that if armed, you are considered trespasser. Private rules and statutes have different consequences. But this depends on type of building ie if this is a government building, then yes possible "trespass". Use common sense.

(Chester County)

If you complied with all conditions of entry then you are not trespassing.
    IANAL

(Armstrong County)

That's gonna depend on the property and type of business.

I work at a secure facility where entrance to the property is posted and parking is inside the gate. Postings state their vehicle is subject to random searches.

Often there are non-employees visiting the site, vendors, contractors, etc.

If one of them are found to have a firearm in their car in the parking lot its very likely homeland security will be notified.

(Luzerne County)

Thanks for the replies.....
    Answers- Not a gov't facitlity, not anything on the normal PA list of off limits to carry, just a regular business.

Parked in thier parking lot, or in their non-gated parking garage, both definitely on thier property. Not on a public street.

I will have to check the wording on the signs, I don't know if they say anything about a condition of entry, but the signs are on the door, not at the entrance to the parking lot.

I have read other posts that say the owner can ask you to leave and if you don't, it could be a "defiant tresspass" charge, that's where the tresspass question comes from.

2nd question, this site has its own private security, again, not governmental and not cops, I have heard rumors of them confiscating weapons? I of course told the individual that told me this that it was BS, but they insisted, so, can a private security guard do anything besides ask you to leave or call the real PD?

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    If you complied with all conditions of entry then you are not trespassing.

Well, I'm not carrying an M9/92.

Guess I'm good
    and to the dust you shall return