Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: The Official Philadelphia Gun Rights March - Saturday, May 25th, 2013

Keep in mind that this march will fly in the face of the new "ordinance" that makes the possession of firearms in public Philadelphia parks illegal! I plan on openly carrying my sidearm, a RIGHT which is guaranteed to me by both State law and the Constitution!

(Bucks County)

Default Re: The Official Philadelphia Gun Rights March - Saturday, May 25th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by RebelRaider5 View Post
    Correct me since if I'm wrong, but since Love Park is a city owned park, wouldn't we be in violation of the new law by being there armed?
    You are correct, and it would be civil disobedience to carry in the parks. However, several are doing it anyway, to prove a point. MLK Jr did the same thing. In his 'Letter from Birmingham Jail', he talks about it being a moral obligation to defy unjust laws. Since the city ordinance is in direct violation of the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act of 1995, this ordinance is unjust. Sometimes civil disobedience in large scale is the best way to get your point across. Keep in mind though, you don't have to carry to this event to participate. If you aren't comfortable with a potential $2000 fine, don't carry, but it would still be great if you could make your presence known, and maybe carry a sign or banner, or wear a shirt about firearms/2nd Amendment.

Also, I talked to a Philly Cop who is in my military unit about the new ordinance, and he didn't even know about it. However, he said that violation of said ordinance wouldn't constitute an arrest, only a fine.

(Philadelphia County)

http://forum.pafoa.org/national-11/2...ml#post2369358

Cross post. As per my calls today, it would seem like the illegal ordinance is not yet fully effective (though I guess Philadelphia will take the final steps before the march).

I'll be there.

(Bucks County)

What happened to the event on Facebook? It said cancelled? Is it because all the liberal antis commenting on it or what?

(Delaware County)

Alright....so the trolls of the internet basically bombarded the event page on FB, making it entirely unuseable for anyone who's trying to join us. I cancelled the event as far as Facebook is concerned, but will be recreating it as of tomorrow and keeping it invite only. Sorry guys...I was really hoping the trolls would stay away. Oh well.

EDIT: Alright, I recreated the event. I'll send out some invitations...if you're on FB and don't get one, message me and tell me your screenname on here so I can invite you.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; April 13th, 2013 at 12:11 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Alright....so the trolls of the internet basically bombarded the event page on FB, making it entirely unuseable for anyone who's trying to join us. I cancelled the event as far as Facebook is concerned, but will be recreating it as of tomorrow and keeping it invite only. Sorry guys...I was really hoping the trolls would stay away. Oh well.
    I think that was a big, stupid mistake.

1. The trolls get a win. They know they got to you. This is the internet...
    2. This was a chance to inform some of them and maybe even turn some around. At least 2 of the "trolls" legitimately didn't seem to think that confiscations were happening/had already happened. Upon finding out that wasn't the case, their tone changed. Any help is help.
    3. What could they possibly do to us? Give more exposure? Oh, noes!
    4. Personally, I disagree with being pro-2A and supporting censorship. I know it's (this specifically) not technically a 1A issue, but it's very related (same principle) and a fine line.
    5. You made a thread specifically to address them and encourage discussion... then killed it all off, 2 minutes later. This makes it appear that you never intended to discuss anything (even if few of them were open to it, anyway).

Just my opinion, can't speak for anyone else. But I was pretty disappointed.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by inrem View Post
    As per my calls today, it would seem like the illegal ordinance is not yet fully effective (though I guess Philadelphia will take the final steps before the march).
    Mayor Nut Job already signed it.

See here:http://phila.legistar.com/Legislatio...&Search=130065

*Under Bill history, He signed it April 2nd.
    Last edited by RebelRaider5; April 13th, 2013 at 12:16 AM.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ragequit View Post

2. This was a chance to inform some of them and maybe even turn some around. At least 2 of the "trolls" legitimately didn't seem to think that confiscations were happening/had already happened. Upon finding out that wasn't the case, their tone changed. Any help is help.
    4. Personally, I disagree with being pro-2A and supporting censorship. I know it's (this specifically) not technically a 1A issue, but it's very related (same principle) and a fine line.
    5. You made a thread specifically to address them and encourage discussion... then killed it all off, 2 minutes later. This makes it appear that you never intended to discuss anything (even if few of them were open to it, anyway).

Look, I am new to this. I have never organized my own event, and I have never had to deal with this sort of thing. I am learning. I'm sorry that you're disappointed, I truly am. I am trying to maintain certain standards, but this is turning out to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I'm trying...please bear with me as I work on it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by ragequit View Post

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    Look, I am new to this. I have never organized my own event, and I have never had to deal with this sort of thing. I am learning. I'm sorry that you're disappointed, I truly am. I am trying to maintain certain standards, but this is turning out to be much more difficult than I anticipated. I'm trying...please bear with me as I work on it.
    What done is done. It's a learning experience for Mark. Let's get it restarted as quickly as possible. I sent a personal message to one of the people who I thought had a legitimate interest in discussing the matter.

It's an event page. Meant to be used for organizing and disseminating information relevant to the event, not a discussion group/thread. As such, it's a private function so distracting trolling comments and photos make it A LOT harder to do what the page was meant to do (the least of which is to discuss penis sizes of gun owners and so on). As such, we will need to keep the information relevant to the event and remove those that are not.

Al
    "In a controversy, the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth and have begun striving for ourselves." - Siddhartha Gautama

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast