Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Colt Anaconda Review

The Colt Anaconda. Colt's Biggest Snake!

Built by Colt Mfg. from 1991 to 1999, the Colt Anaconda has earned a reputation as one of the most accurate .44 Magnum handguns on the market. Although the recoil can be startling to some shooters, the special grip design and heavy barrel and frame weight make it one of the most comfortable .44 Magnums to shoot. Big-bore shooters have come to expect the top performance and durability of this powerhouse. But, the light, smooth trigger pull of the Anaconda still takes them by surprise. The free-floating ejector rod and full length housing enhance balance and portability. Shooters like the wide spurred, deep grooved hammer. Offset bolt notches and clockwise cylinder turn add strength and durability, while the integral ventilated barrel rib dissipates heat for clear sighting and allows easy scope mounting. The Anaconda was produced in 4 barrel lengths: 4", 6", 8" and the hard to find 5". All models were made of stainless steel and came with a brushed finish although some First Edition and several custom order Anaconda's were produced with an ultra bright finish. The ultra bright guns also had a polished trigger and hammer.

Features:
    .44 Magnum or .45 Long Colt
    Target hammer
    Serrated target trigger
    Ribbed barrel
    Single / Double action
    Rubber combat type grips
    Red ramp front sight
    White outline adjustable rear sight
    Drilled and tapped for scope mount (after 1998)
    Nickel medallions
    Available Models: (as of 1998)
    - MM3040DT
    - MM3060DT
    - MM3080PDT
    (D = Drilled, T = Taped, P = Ported)

Technical Specifications as tested:
    Model: MM3080
    Name: Anaconda
    Frame material: Stainless steel
    Frame finish: Brushed stainless steel
    Barrel length: 8" non-ported
    Overall length: 13-5/8"
    Caliber .44 Magnum
    Capacity: 6 Rounds
    Hammer: Target style with wide serrations
    Trigger: Serrated target
    Action: Double / Single
    Front sight: Red ramp
    Rear sight: White outline adjustable
    Grips: Rubber combat style with medallion
    Weight: 59 oz.

Colt terminated production in 1999 but continued to offer special Anaconda's from the Colt Custom Shop for a short time thereafter (up to approx. 2003). These guns were basically the same as the production guns except that some had round ported barrels and a polished and tuned trigger system. Slotted Magna-Porting was available from the factory prior to 1998. I actually owned a Custom Shop Anaconda several years ago. I bought it brand new and had it about 2 years until the roof started coming off of my house and I was forced to sell it for emergency cash. It was a sad day for me, only slightly over shadowed by the fact that I sold it back to the gun shop where I bought it for twice the amount I paid just 2 years previous! That should have been another flag for me not to let this gun go! I vowed to own one again as soon as possible! Fast forward to Christmas, 2007...My parents, knowing how much I valued that Anaconda, surprised me with an ultra bright stainless steel 8" Anaconda that Christmas morning! My Dad, sick with the flu, stayed out of bed just long enough to see the joy on my face as I opened the heavy package! As my hand found the familiar rubber grips and lifted the big gun from the box...I couldn't help but feel complete again! This gun feels as good in the hand as it looks! The frame of the Anaconda is actually a super sized version of the V-frame Trooper MK V with a King Cobra style action. The larger size of the firearm still fits my mitts rather comfortably thanks to the rubber combat style grips complete with nickel finished Colt Medallions.

Upon checking out the new revolver, the crisp action sent a chill up my spine as I pulled the hammer back. I found that the gun could make Fort Knox blush with envy as I lowered the hammer while depressing the trigger. The lock up was tight and felt like a 30 ton blast door! The fit and finish is just amazing. All the lines line up and everything appeals to the eye. It is hard to describe the feeling of holding a high quality big bore revolver, but until you hold one...you will never know why people that own them tend to rave about them so much! The Anaconda is a true piece of American engineering and it is a shame that Colt has stopped making them. The photos in this review can not even come close to the true beauty of this revolver!

OK, so it looks and feels great, but how does it shoot? Let's just say, it isn't commonly known as one of the most accurate big bore revolvers for nothing! This gun could make a first time shooter look as good as a pro! My first Anaconda was fitted with a 2x30 pistol scope and I could easily knock down iron pigs standing, off hand at 100 yards...every shot! I haven't added a scope to this snake yet, but I have found the open sights just as equally impressive with no adjustments, so far. Recoil is definitely pronounced but very manageable. I feel very little difference between my old ported barrel vs. my current non-ported version. Weighing in at a stout 59 ounces, this pistol absorbs most of the recoil and provides the shooter with nothing more than an assertive muzzle rise. I also discovered a highly polished bore that will eat just about any kind of ammo and helps to limit the amount of leading that can occur from certain types of ammo. The Anaconda still might not be for the weak at heart, but it's easily an all day shooter for the avid enthusiast. Lower cost per round and manageable still make the .44 Magnum platform more suited for the average big bore shooter over the .454 Casull and .500 S&W.

In conclusion, I like the way this pistol looks and feels in my hand and it shoots like a dream. The aggressive styling of the sloped vent rib and full lug barrel would have made Dirty Harry look much more cooler than with that Model 29...too bad Colt hadn't made it 20 years sooner! If you haven't had an opportunity to shoot or even examine an Anaconda yet, you owe it to yourself to make arrangements to do so! Just be warned, Colt's Big Snake series is highly addictive and somewhat expensive to own!

Review & Photography by: RocketFoot

Thanks for looking and happy shooting!

Sources: Colt Mfg., ColtForum.com
    Last edited by RocketFoot; April 14th, 2008 at 12:24 PM.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Colt Anaconda Review

Good review. i have one. love it....
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Chester County)

very nice review RF +2 ..... magazine quality pictures great also

edit: i must spread some rep first

Wow!!! When you say you want gun reviews, you aren't kidding! Beautifully laid out, and very informative about a neat gun. I've never handled one, but sounds like a sweetheart.

Only problem is that I was thinking of taking your idea to heart, and doing some for our guns, and now I'm embarrassed to LOL
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Wow!!! When you say you want gun reviews, you aren't kidding! Beautifully laid out, and very informative about a neat gun. I've never handled one, but sounds like a sweetheart.

Only problem is that I was thinking of taking your idea to heart, and doing some for our guns, and now I'm embarrassed to LOL
    Not at all! Post your reviews! Tell us about the gun, how you like it, how it shoots and add lots of photos!

(Montgomery County)

Super post!!!
    Your pictures are beautiful and your snake is stunning!
    Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 1blindref View Post
    Super post!!!
    Your pictures are beautiful and your snake is stunning!
    Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Ahem... this isn't the personal ad section.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Wow - that didn't take long ... lol - guess I should have edited that after I read it

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

yeah, i was thinking something along those lines... only worse... lol
    This Space For Rent

(Westmoreland County)

LOL! "My Anaconda don't want none if you ain't got buns, hun!"

Review is now edited reflecting more precise historical information with the help of the guys from coltforum.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast