Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lebanon County)

Default background check in research

A month ago I purchased a Beretta Nano 9mm, no problem. I have my conceiled carry permit. Last week, I tried to buy a Luger GP100 357 mag and my background check was put into research. I'm extremely frustrated and quite confused. I haven't had any change in criminal record since my last purchase. Has anyone else experienced this?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: background check in research

No, but I was the guy standing next to you buying the Ruger 1911 that told you that was a good looking GP100 that you were buying.

Small world eh?

Good luck man. If you are truly clean then I'm sure it's just a snafu on PSP's end, maybe someone with a similar name got in some trouble....

(Delaware County)

I've had it happen before once, have a LTCF from PA, a CWP from Utah, bought several guns before and since. If you're finally approved you'll never know what the delay was, if you're denied you'll be told why and how to appeal the decision.

I believe they have 15 days to make a decision. Mine went 13 days, a very long 13 days, but I ended up with my purchase.

As to why it happens, system might have been down or real busy for that moment, or you could have been randomly picked for a more thorough check, I was told that happens, not sure if it's true.

(Franklin County)

Yep. Been there, done that. Its aggravating as hell, especially because you never know the reason you went to 'research'.

(Centre County)

Nice surprise about this shorter form. Can you tell us what it is you are talking/writing about?
    Has any info. about this shorter form been posted before (and i just missed it)?
    ALEEZY

(York County)

I had a similar issue, but mine was an out right denial. And only a week after I had made a similar purchase in that same shop. Turned out to be a partial name match on a guy out of Florida with my birthday who had just been committed to an institution. It took 56 days to get a letter reversing the decision. After a few calls to PSP in Harrisburg I finally learned that after all of the waiting and worry it all came down to a Florida courthouse that lost part of the record while they moved. A 56 day wait for a Smith & Wesson snubby. I certainly feel your pain.

(Montgomery County)

Something like that happened to me. I applied for a ltcf permit and a week or so later I tried to buy my first handgun. It came back as in research. I was pretty shocked bc I don't have a criminal history ( not much of one). 13 days later I got the call saying my gun purchase was okayed. I think it had something to do with the second check showing that a more indepth background was currently being done on me. Or maybe it's just I have a common name. Any thoughts on my theory?

(Indiana County)

Just wait until the universal checks are instituted, the backlog will be staggering, the systems (PICS/NICS) will be overloaded and nobody will be getting anything instant.

I think this is what's going on now, PICS is getting overloaded at peak times and to ease the burden people are getting kicked into delay.
    IMO, this is what happened to the OP and the others posting here about delays that eventually get Ok'ed.

Also note that in Turncoat Toomeys proposed bill, gunshows get priority when it comes to checks.
    So wait until you are across the state at your dealers and one of the big shows is going on in Washington or Harrisburg.

But hey, 90% of "us" want the universal checks...

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    But hey, 90% of "us" want the universal checks...
    We don't just want it, we DEMAND it !

(York County)

I picked up a rifle Friday evening at a LGS. Speaking with the business owner about PICS/NICS and he mentioned he had to call 140 times in a row to get through for 1app the week before. I promise it won't get any better with federal legislation!
    P.S. I still can't pass the automated PICS either. Every time I have to go to a live operator & use the last four digits of my SS. I'm guessing it's because I was born in New Jersey; guilt be association!