Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Allentown Magisterial District Court makes you check your gun at Courthouse 1.5m Away

District Court: 31-1-01
    Magisterial District Judge Patricia M. Engler
    1201 Sumner Avenue
    Allentown, PA 18102
    phone: 610-432-3080

This Magisterial District Courthouse is located 1.5 miles away from the Lehigh County Courthouse.

This Magisterial District Court has a posted sign up saying it is illegal to carry a gun into the courtroom with 18 Pa. C.S. 913 cited.
    However, the sign also says you must go to the Lehigh County Courthouse, which is located at 455 West Hamilton Street (the sign does not list the address), if you are carrying a firearm to check it into a locker there with a deputy.

I was in disbelief and was compelled to ask a court clerk some questions about this to confirm it. The clerk substantiated you must drive or walk the 1.5 mile distance to the Lehigh County Courthouse, check your firearm there in a locker with a deputy, and then travel back to the Magisterial District Court unarmed. When your day in court is over, you have to go back to the Lehigh County Courthouse to get your firearm. I asked just to confirm the obvious again, they have no lockers in the Magisterial District Court building.

Allentown crime is such a problem they have installed 100 surveillance cameras on the streets citywide. I personally would deem it risky to travel unarmed the 1.5 mile journey between the two court buildings.

This is in clear violation of subsection 913. The Magisterial District Court can't say they are in compliance by having an agreement with the Lehigh County Courthouse to check firearms. By law, they must have their own.

I didn't bother to ask to speak to the judge because in my opinion it would have been a waste of time. From the looks of it, they've probably not ever had lockers. Who should I politely call or write requesting compliance at this Magisterial District Court? The Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts? Thank you everybody for any advice or help.
    Last edited by Jon Doe; April 3rd, 2013 at 09:09 PM.
    Not to be confused with PAFOA member John Doe from Montgomery County, PA

(Centre County)

Default Re: Allentown Magisterial District Court makes you check your gun at Courthouse 1.5m

Fuck that; I'll check it in a secret location inside my car parked out front.