Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Problems getting a LTCF at Montco Sheriff?

Which local PDs are charging for the background check? I didn't have to pay for mine and neither did my wife. Neither did my brother for that matter. And, because we were willing to take the extra day it requires to have the card filled out by our local PD, we had our LTCFs within 20 minutes of taking it into the sheriff's department. If your local PD is charging, maybe they are the problem, not the Sheriff. The Sheriff can not control what the local PD does.

Clearly, Montco is not requiring anyone to get this card filled out. They are willing to do it for you. The caveat here is that you are going to have to wait. You have the option of getting the card filled out or not just as they have the option to issue immediately or wait 45 days. It seems more like one of those you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours scenarios. If you don't want to help them out by getting the card filled out, they don't want to help you and issue the LTCF quickly.

A recent poster asked the question: "What now?" in regards to being past 45 days. My answer to you, and all of the others who have chosen this "fight the man" route...do what is asked of you and quit your whining. You know what the hard way to get things done is and what the easy way to get them done is. If you want to chose the hard way, then be willing to deal with the consequences.

Very similar to those who choose to OC. I know, I know, unrelated, but still relevant. If you choose to OC, fine, I support this choice. But, know that you will run into issues and you must learn to deal with them accordingly. As has been mentioned before in this and many other forums, sometimes it seems like people do these types of things just to see what kind of reaction they can get. Then they want to come here and tell everyone about the bad man that gave them a hard time...which they fully knew was going to come!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Problems getting a LTCF at Montco Sheriff?

See, the thing is us people who "do these things just to see what kind of reaction we can get" don't really do it for that reason at all. We do it to show how things should be done.

You should be able to walk around town with a firearm and not have every local officer responding to a frantic MWAG call, sidearms drawn and be proned out while they call you junior, etc.

You should be able to go to your local Sheriff and apply for a LTCF with the uniform application provided by the PSP with no "hard time" given at all. But people like you are more than willing to bend over and let "the bad man" make up unnecessary arbitrary rules and requirements and let them get away with thinking they are OK.

Some of us have to stand up to the nonsense.

(Lebanon County)

What extra card? Is Montco another part of the State of PA that can require additional documents that are not required anywhere else in the state?
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Fair enough. Well, I never felt bent over by having to take this extra step. However, it would appear that many of the folks (as evidenced by their posts) do feel bent over by taking this course. It hasn't seemed to fix anything in the years that you all have been doing it. Maybe there are better ways to approach finding a resolution than this passive aggressive act. I have seen many suggestions regarding petitioning the sheriff to change this. Why hasn't anyone done this if they disagree? Or maybe contact the DA office as this is against the constitution and laws of our state? My question really is why are you continuing to make a futile effort rather than taking a tact that may actually get something accomplished?

Quote Originally Posted by brianinpa View Post
    What extra card? Is Montco another part of the State of PA that can require additional documents that are not required anywhere else in the state?
    Montco asks their residents to take a police check card to their local PD and have a PICS check run, rather than the sheriff's office doing the PICS check. It is not required, only requested.

(Montgomery County)

I used to live in Berks. It was an in and out deal in 15 minutes with my LTCF and NO HASSLE.

I want that in Montco also. I haven't moved to Jersey, so why the fuck do I have to put up with extra hassle?

This is why I fight the man. Sorry if you don't have the balls to do the same.

Your posting pisses me off almost as much as if I were a resident of Connecticut, and were just told by an anti "well if you want ammo, play by the rules and you'll get it."

That sort of sentiment will get us NO WHERE when our rights are under attack. I can't believe you even started this thread. Don't you want the same freedom as the rest of the state? Sure it's not very onerous, but it's still an extra hoop to jump through. I don't want more hoops, I want less. Both my nation's constitution and my state's constitution say that I have the right to BEAR ARMS. That should mean on your person, anywhere, without a damn permit.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; April 3rd, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

I do not argue that the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution permits you the right to bear arms. Did my post say this in anyway? Nope.

As far as my posting pissing you off? No fucks are given by me.

No one in this process is trying to keep you from owning/carrying/transporting/bearing arms. There is an established procedure to carry a firearm in this state. If your issue is with the procedure and the necessity for a license overall, then you are in the wrong thread here. If your issue is with the sheriff asking you to get a card filled out, then this is the place to discuss it. Again, they are ASKING you to do this, not forcing you. You are well within your rights to make them do the work as they are well within their rights and the laws of our state to make you wait the 45 days. Just don't whine about it. No one is doing anything illegal in accordance with the laws you all are referring to.

To be clear, I don't care if you want to make it difficult, but why come here and whine? When you choose this route, you and I both know what the result will be, so stop crying about it.

ETA: This passive aggressive sentiment of "making" the sheriff do things by the book is what gets us nowhere. As previously noted, let's put our brains together and figure out the best way to affect change on this issue. Don't you think that would work better than going in and sticking it to them? This is what I am asking.

(Chester County)

Maybe people whine because they know there are other counties in the state, such as the one in which I currently reside, that will process an application while you wait so that you can walk out with your card without jumping through any extra hoops.

Maybe they whine because this is how it should be statewide, especially since that application process has been made uniform throughout the state, but some counties have found ways to milk more money out of the citizens all while making themselves do less work. And they get away with it because so many people either don't know better or don't care to "fight" it.

(Montgomery County)

It is not my fucking job to help them investigate me.

Other counties don't make you jump through hoops, so I refuse to here also.

I post about not jumping through the hoops to encourage others to do so, so maybe just maybe they'll change their policy. This is an activist website after all. Posting stuff to piss off people who are trying to actually make a difference in their county is asinine.

Don't be an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierBK View Post
    Maybe people whine because they know there are other counties in the state, such as the one in which I currently reside, that will process an application while you wait so that you can walk out with your card without jumping through any extra hoops.

Maybe they whine because this is how it should be statewide, especially since that application process has been made uniform throughout the state, but some counties have found ways to milk more money out of the citizens all while making themselves do less work. And they get away with it because so many people either don't know better or don't care to "fight" it.
    Agreed. And again, my point is that you folks who choose this path do not know or do not care to fight it the right way. Pissing the sheriff's deputies off is not going to fix the problem. How many times do I need to say this?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast