Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Cumberland County)

Default Discharging a Firearm

Hey everyone,
    So I did some searching and apparently this appears to be a pretty controversial topic, and I cannot really find any clear, cut and dry answers on it. I am hoping once we can get some good resources for this information, perhaps we should sticky it.
    Here's what I am trying to figure out. I just moved into what I like to call a Rural Area. My property sits on about half an acre. Behind my property is nothing more than a tree line followed by a corn field. I'd like to build a small "shooting range" comprised of a target holder, and a pile of dirt as a back stop. Safety of course is a priority which is why I'm sticking to the shorter range calibers. My goal is so that both my girlfriend and I can train with the .22lr pistol and maybe the shotgun, at home. She really has a good time with the 22 (and consequently the .223/5.56) Now, I live about 5 minutes from a private range where I happen to be a member. So if I can't it's not the end of the world, however it'd be nice to not have to pack up all my stuff, then forget something, then have to go back, then head back out again. I have read the borough ordinances and found nothing regarding to discharging a firearm. Over the years I have learned if you ask someone who doesn't know the answer, they will give you their personal preference. So does anyone know where else I can look to be 100% sure?
    Last edited by TheKon; April 3rd, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
    Please visit our site: http://www.hddefenseusa.com

(York County)

Default Re: Discharging a Firearm

I would suggest, if the borough ordinances aren't convincing, that you contact the borough and ask. If they say you can't do it, insist that they cite the ordinance.

Just my .02
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Cumberland County)

I never actually considered asking them to "prove it", that's a heck of a point. Does anyone know how to find out if you are on "Protected Hunting Land"? I understand you cannot discharge a firearm in those areas. Is that what the POSTED signs are? I don't hunt so I'm not up on the hunting rules.

(Indiana County)

You need to go to your township supervisors or borough office, it's really that simple.

For example, I live in a borough surrounded by the same township. I cannot shoot in my yard, not even air rifles or bows, but literally across the street the borough ends and the township has no limitations on shooting other that a noise ordnance that is in effect between 7am and 10pm.

I can't see how your own property could be a protected hunting area unless you made it that way.

By going to your township or borough, you can get the proper information in case a neighbor calls the cops.
    The last place I lived, I went to the township supervisors and they even gave me a letter stating that shooting on my property was permitted in the township.

(Cumberland County)

Alright I'll try to give that a shot....no pun intended....I just moved, and my neighbors seem nice, but I want to have the documentation to prove that I am not breaking the law, in the event it comes up. After I read some of the other threads regarding this topic, I found more topics trying to get people to stop shooting in their backyard than actually trying to setup a range. Thanks again!

I recall that there's a state game regulation that prohibits shooting within 150 yards of a dwelling. If you're on a half-acre lot, you likely have neighbors closer than that. This may or may not apply here but I suspect it does, much like the hunting regulations that forbid a loaded long gun in a vehicle.

(Northampton County)

Discharge of a firearm is something that is/can be regulated by your local government.

Go to your local government, and ask about it. If they say it is not allowed, ask for the ordinance, and also ask about obtaining a permit for a private range.

-Darryl

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    You need to go to your township supervisors or borough office, it's really that simple.

For example, I live in a borough surrounded by the same township. I cannot shoot in my yard, not even air rifles or bows, but literally across the street the borough ends and the township has no limitations on shooting other that a noise ordnance that is in effect between 7am and 10pm.

I can't see how your own property could be a protected hunting area unless you made it that way.

By going to your township or borough, you can get the proper information in case a neighbor calls the cops.
    The last place I lived, I went to the township supervisors and they even gave me a letter stating that shooting on my property was permitted in the township.
    Not always.

My neighbor wanted to build a storage shed. He called to find out the zoning rules regarding how close to the property line it could go. (there's a specific distance, but he didn't know what that was)

Long story short, after about 15 minutes of being passed around to about 4 different people while overhearing them yell across the room to others to get the answer to his question (which they never did get), he hung up the phone.
    His wife asked, "Well, what did they say?"
    "They told me to put it wherever I want", he replied. LOL

Like asking the police about "laws", I wouldn't tryst ANY answer given by an official without something to verify it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    I recall that there's a state game regulation that prohibits shooting within 150 yards of a dwelling. If you're on a half-acre lot, you likely have neighbors closer than that. This may or may not apply here but I suspect it does, much like the hunting regulations that forbid a loaded long gun in a vehicle.
    Only when engaged in a hunting activity.

Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    I'm not aware of a state law that prohibits casual target shooting (non-hunting) within 500 feet of a dwelling. Safety zones apply to activities regulated by the Game Code. Target shooting in your own back yard isn't a Game Code matter.
    IANAL

(Lebanon County)

When the borough tells you the answer, tell them you grew up in Missouri, so "Show Me."
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast