Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Dauphin County)

Default AR single point sling adapter attachment help

I have a blackhawk single sling point attacment I need to know how to put it on the "instructions" say to remeove the stock and the bufffer tube "nut" SO How do i do this ?

I assume for the stock i pop out the "plug" at end and i guess there is a nut i remove. But for the buffer tube "nut" looks like there is a special tool that is needed of can I just use a pair of pliers or channel locks to remove it ?

If pics would help I can take some

BTW its a Bushmaster Ar-15

(Erie County)

Default Re: AR single point sling adapter attachment help

If you have a collapsible stock, the release that allows the stock to move needs to be pulled out further to completely remove the stock. If it is an A1 or A2 stock, remove the butt plate to get to the nut that holds the stock in place.

You need a castle nut wrench to remove the castle nut. You could use a pipe wrench, but you will messed the nut up quite a bit. I would use a new castle nut for reassembly. The end plate, which will be replaced by your adaptor, has to be held against the receiver because it holds a tiny spring that will pop out, when you loosen the castle nut. The tiny spring holds a detent for the takedown pin.

Since it is a BM, you might get lucky and the castle nut was not staked at all, making disassembly (not re-'building') easier. BUT, you should stake the castle nut after reassembly. Castle nut should be torqued to ~ 37 ft/lbs.

You need to purchase a wrench and another castle nut. There are plenty of YTube vids describing this procedure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Dauphin County)

Thanks for the reply ill check you tube now

Its really not something I want to do but ive called 3 Local gun shops have gotten the same responce that they really dont want to deal with the "black guns" or they really dont want to work on military type assault weapons WTF ?????????

Ok so that was easyer then I thought the castle nut did not have to come off sometimes reading the directions a second time helps
    Last edited by jeep; April 2nd, 2013 at 02:30 PM.

(Dauphin County)

sling adap.jpg

Not sure if I like the way it just hangs off to the side of me

Even if you have to remove the castle nut it is no big deal. I just installed a Noveske QD mount on my lower, torqued and staked per spec. Main issue for me was most of the wrenchs on the market were junk and/or had no good provision for a torque wrench. So I designed my own wrench and got it waterjet cut.

(Lehigh County)

Angry Re: AR single point sling adapter attachment help

You can totally do this yourself. If you have a collapseable stock you do not need to remove the stock from the buffer tube. You do need to have a castle nut wrench though. Compess the buffer tube retainer and remove the buffer and spring. Loosen the castle nut and unscrew the buffer tube with the stock still attached. Be careful when the adapter plate separates from the lower, it captures and compresses the rear takedown pin detent. There is a spring and a little metal pin. Remove the adapter plate and replace with your new one. Make sure the spring and pin are in place. Screw the buffer tube back in place. Be sure that you push the buffer tube retainer pin down into the lower and capture it with the edge of the buffer tube. Tighten the castle nut. Press the buffer tube retainer into the lower and replace the spring and buffer. It's not that difficult, just familiarize yourself with the parts and take your time.

Rick

i think there is something wrong with you pic (install)

WOAH!!!! STOP!!!!

there is a little springs and parts that WILL fly if you take it off W/o a bit of knowledge.. take 5 min out of your life and watch a youtube video on it....

and get the right tool you will mark it up BAD with out it... ESP IF IT WAS A FACTORY STAKED CASTLE NUT...
    Last edited by Son of a gun; April 2nd, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
    I'm out of witty one liners.....

(Dauphin County)

I re-read the instructions and says no buffer tube removal needed its a Black hawk adaptor and the in the pic i didnt have the "sling cover " over top of the metal

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/AR1...,1691,1406.htm
    Last edited by jeep; April 2nd, 2013 at 03:26 PM.

yeah found it is just a clamp on.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nR1LXUPjKC8&noredirect=1

does your stock close all the way then???

i'm not one for clamp on..... but to each his own...
    I'm out of witty one liners.....

(Dauphin County)

Yes stock closes all the way When I bought it I didnt relize it was a clamp on type what I wanted was the http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Uni...er,1253,94.htm wich I think looks much more better and not as flimsy looking as what I have

Atleast when I go and buy the one that I wanted Ill know how to install it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast