Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Driving from SEPA to WVA

Next week I plan on going to our family farm in WVA (near Summersville) with a full complement of rifles, shotguns and a couple hanguns. I can either
    a. Take the Pa turnpike west and stay in Pa then south into WVa on I79, or
    b. Go my normal route down 81 to I 68 thru Md and tyhen down 79.
    I know what to do with my firearms while traveling, I have my LTCF and just wonder if it isnt easier to just not go into Md at all.
    Any one have an opinion on which makes sense? I'm sure somebody does!

Default Re: Driving from SEPA to WVA

I live in Martinsburg, WV and I went hunting outside of Summersville last year. I chose to go south on I-81 and went west through VA & WVA for the sole reason of not driving through MD.

It sounds like you would be better served to go the turnpike-I79 route though.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

(Bucks County)

Thanks. The other hitch is that I will need to stop overnight and will most likely do that in Breezewood so I can continue west in the morning. I don't want to leave my guns in the car overnight. We usually make this trip in the RV and drive thru and take turns napping if we need to. My wife and I both work nights and afternoons are our normal sleep time!

(Montgomery County)

I would avoid MD as much as possible. If it was just the 15 miles straight through on I81, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but heading west on I68 keeps you in that less-than-friendly state for 113 miles; more than I'd be comfortable with.

Personally, I think I would get off the PA turnpike at the Donegal exit and head southwest from there. That should cut about 40 miles (and probably 20 minutes) off the drive vs. taking 70W to 79 S.
    Molon Labe!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewussor View Post
    I would avoid MD as much as possible. If it was just the 15 miles straight through on I81, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but heading west on I68 keeps you in that less-than-friendly state for 113 miles; more than I'd be comfortable with.

Personally, I think I would get off the PA turnpike at the Donegal exit and head southwest from there. That should cut about 40 miles (and probably 20 minutes) off the drive vs. taking 70W to 79 S.
    Ditto...avoid as much communism as possible...keep in mind...WVA is reciprical with Pa. The only bordering state actually.

(Chester County)

I did that trip a couple of weeks ago coming home from Memphis. Most of my travel to WV is to the southern area (I-64 corridor), so I've done 95 down, beltway around DC to 66, and 81 down to 64... I'll usually drive straight through w/ secured guns until stopping once I'm on 66. That's not a bad drive late night.

Otherwise, I'll do Turnpike to 81, and then 81 all the way down, securing my carry gun for Maryland.

Last few trips, I've come home up through WV into PA. Longer drive, but beautiful views, and no worries about firearms. Once we stopped off at the Abandoned Turnpike for a break. another time we stopped off at the Somerset 9/11 site the first time, because I'd never seen it. Worst part for me has been driving the turnpike from Mile 110 to 300+.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

(Westmoreland County)

If you are coming thru Donegal to get down to Summersville take the Pike to 119 S to I68 at Cheat Lake then I68 E to I79S to 4 lane 119S to Summersville. I am from WV and now live near Donegal and that is he best route from here down. Remember that 4 lane 119 is a SPEED-TRAP all the way to Beckley.

(Bucks County)

Made the trip down with the guns locked in my Thule roof carrier. The ammo in the car in my range bag. The Thule has a good locking system . Got my m&p out in WV.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick41Mag View Post
    If you are coming thru Donegal to get down to Summersville take the Pike to 119 S to I68 at Cheat Lake then I68 E to I79S to 4 lane 119S to Summersville. I am from WV and now live near Donegal and that is he best route from here down. Remember that 4 lane 119 is a SPEED-TRAP all the way to Beckley.
    I believe ALL highways in WV are speed traps. They gotta fund their agencies somehow, I guess.
    FOAC Volunteer. NREMT-P. NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor & RSO. BSA Rangemaster. Act 235.
    Selling: Remington R1 1911

Quote Originally Posted by JonEMTP View Post
    I believe ALL highways in WV are speed traps. They gotta fund their agencies somehow, I guess.
    I've lived in WV for 12 years and never have gotten a speeding ticket.

Maybe its not us ...
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast