Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default 44 mag~large pistol magnum primers vs large rifle magnum primers

Good Evening Gentlemen

I've checked the forums, searched the web and now I'm looking for first hand experience for reloading 44 magnum pistol rounds.

The question I have is can you use large magnum rifle primers to reload 44 mag pistol rounds? The shop I dealt with stated that for a 44 mag the mag rifle and mag pistol primers would be "suitable."

Pistol is a Tarus Raging Bull stock out of the box. I'm going to be using 230 gr lead semi wad cutters. Is there anything I missing that can help someone answer the question I'm asking. Powder is IMR 4227. The primers in question are Federal Large Magnum Rifle Primers.
    Last edited by TDSjr; April 4th, 2013 at 08:45 PM. Reason: need to add info

Default Re: 44 mag~large pistol magnum primers vs large rifle magnum primers

We have always used large pistol primers for all of our loads used in pistols. I can not see where you would need a magnum primer of any kind. In our experience 4227, 2400, Blue Dot and Bullseye all work fine with standard LP primers.

If you have questions Sierra's answer line is your best bet. If you could do it they have already tried.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Neither one of my reloading manuals specifies magnum primers for 44 mag loads using IMR4227. The use of magnum primers is more specific to the powder you use than the caliber you're loading.

(Westmoreland County)

IIRC rifle primers are slightly thicker than pistols primers. Enough that it could lead to a high primer and bind up your revolver... I don't know. They are also harder than pistol primers and you may have ignition issues.

(Clarion County)

The rifle primers are a tad longer.
    "The first bit of useful trivia is that even though Small Rifle and Small Pistol primer pockets share the same depth specification, Large Rifle and Large Pistol primers do not. The standard pocket for a Large Pistol primer is somewhat shallower than its Large Rifle counterpart, specifically, 0.008 to 0.009 inch less."
    From: http://www.shootingtimes.com/2011/01...motaip_200909/

Not saying somebody hasn't done it but either the primer was never seated flush or it was crammed up in the flash hole. The potential sounds exciting and could make a u tube video.

One way may be to deepen the pockets on the pistol brass and work up the loads from scratch. However that brass would forever be designated for that use.
    Like the internet be careful of advice given outside the box, be safe, good luck.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Berks County)

Thank you for the quick responses. I'm just getting into reloading and I have a member of my club offering to help get my set up started. As you can imagine the first concern is my safety and that of those around me when I shoot.

With ammo becoming harder to find and more expensive, I figured it would be smart to start looking into reloading.

As you can see from my post count, I don't normally ask alot of questions as much as search and read as much as I can from my fellow shooters.

(Monroe County)

If you're not loading to max, or close to it, there's no need for magnum primers.

One belief is the magnum primers will ensure 'reliable' ignition under high pressures or a light load where the powder might not be close to the primer. I've been loading to 'cowboy' loads and haven't had any problems with ignition.

As said, large rifle primers are 'thicker' (same diameter) then the pistol ones, and for a reloading newbie, I wouldn't recommend using rifle primers.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

(Lancaster County)

There is also the issue of hardness of the primer.
    I also have a Raging Bull, but in .454.
    The .454 specifies a small rifle primer.
    The first primer I used resulted in many misfires.
    I had to find the softest SR primers I could to get reliable ignition.
    Hanging onto a pistol loaded with 29.5gr of H110 under a 300gr XTP after it goes "CLICK" and wondering if it's cooking off is NOT fun.
    The thickness issue makes it a moot point though.
    Find yourself some large pistol primers.

Doug

(Delaware County)

I cannot stress enough that you should buy this manual and read it. You can get it for less than $25, making it the least expensive but most valuable of your reloading tools. In it, it is explained in great detail how all the steps of reloading work. They have gone into great detail to test all the loads listed for more variations than you will ever shoot. If you have little experience, it would be of great benefit to your health and reloading education to stay within the tested recipes they provide in the book. Those recipes will give the exact details on the powder, what volume of powder, what type and brand of primer, the brass case trim demensions, bullet type and weight, and overall length. The range on the volume of power will also show the various bullet velocity with a minimum and a maximum safe powder amounts. You don't have to read the entire book,
    just the parts that are about the things that apply to you.
    Good luck,
    Smitty56

http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/217...nual-softcover

smitty56 has the answer in spades. We have several reloading books and programs and will keep buying more as they spark my intrest. Started loading in the 50s and still do not know it all.
    IMHO the must have manuals in no particular order are Lyman, Lee and Sierra along with the free info from the manufactures. If you start loading rifle the Sierra Infinity program has some neat features. The Lee is cheap and the reads are worth the whole price.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast