Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: which ruger...

(York County)

Default which ruger...

Ok, after looking at all of your responses, and checking out a lot of videos and articles myself, I have decided to go the .22lr route for my first purchase. Of course, I plan on going the 9mm route down the road, for know just want something affordable to shoot and work on my fundamentals. Now, question is what to buy. Again, after alot of reading on my own, I he pretty much settled on a ruger, but not sure if I should go with the Mark III or the sr22. I found a nice Mark 3 at Gander Mountain for $350 (wooden grips). Not sure if that's a good price or not. What do you say about the Mark III or the sr22?

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Butler County)

Default Re: which ruger...

Price is a bit high in my opinion.
    They are 2 different beasts. The MKIII is a taget pistol. You will have better accuracy with the MKIII. I own one and they are fun and accurate.
    The SR22 has the feel of a carry gun. I have felt a few up, but have yet to purchase and test one. They seemed to be solid and have good reviews...you can purchase the SR22 w/ a threaded barrel as well
    Hope this helps.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Loggy1512 View Post
    They are 2 different beasts.
    Based on your recent post, I'm going to suggest the SR22 as it will give you the same basic platform as your next gun. It's alot closer to the 9mm. MarkIII's are accurate and alot of fun, I have a II myself, but as far as acquainting yourself with modern guns, the SR22 would be a better choice. Just my .02. Good luck whichever way you go.

(Tioga County)

You simply can't go wrong with a Mk III. (Some will say a Mk II is a better choice, but we're not here for that.) It will be as accurate as you want and reward you for doing your part. It's unlikely you'll "outgrow" it. Later on, you can doll it up with fancy grips, some optics, and a Volquartsen trigger, turning it into a serious range gun.

I tend to stay away from Gander Mt.; the prices are a bit unrealistic and they will not haggle.

--Phil

(Lycoming County)

I would go the sr22 route if you want to build your skills twards a 9mm. The sr22 is much more like a 9mm carry gun than a mkIII. $350 is a littlr high for a MKIII but might be alright in gander Mtn. as their prices are usually ridiculous on most firearms. I'd shop around at a couple of LGS if I were you. You might find something used that is much cheaper.

(Monroe County)

I have a Mark III 22/45 which is a Mark III but the grip angle is the same as a 1911. I love it and is by far my favorite 22lr to shoot.

That being said if your next purchase is a Ruger 9mm the SR22 would be your better choice. While the SR22 is relatively new Ruger has been making great 22lr pistols for a long time and i'm sure this one will be a winner as well.

(Westmoreland County)

On a personal note I have a Ruger 22/45 that I love to shoot and is dependable and accurate as you could want with every ammo I have fed it. That being said I would go to a shop that had the 2 you mentioned and the 22/45 and handle them a little bit to see which one feels best in your hand. JMO

(Northumberland County)

I would suggest the sr-22. It's a super nice .22, I'm thinking about buying one myself. Also, it would be an easier transition from that into a 9mm down the road.

(Chester County)

I have a MkIII 22/45 and an SR22. Both are very fine pistols. The MkIII is more of a target pistol and the SR22 is more of a plinker/possible self defense pistol.

Both have been flawless for me. The MkIII can be tricky to take down and reassemble for cleaning but once you know how it's not a problem. The SR22 is very easy in that regard.

In my opinion you cannot go wrong with either one. They will likely both outlive you.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Apples and oranges. I like tm Mk iii. To me, accuracy = fun. That said, daughter in law loves SR22...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast