Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Question So it's day 48 of my ltcf app wait, what now

Hello all, I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have decided noes a good time to join and get some opinions. I'm a montgomery county resident applying for my ltcf for the first time. I turned in my completed application without police check card back on 2/12. Yes they were unhappy and unfriendly about not having the card but I held my ground and the accepted it telling me it would then take 45 days. Not a big deal to me to wait, it's pretty dick of them to act tht way but hey that's within the law just like me not giving them the police card is. I tried calling them after a few weeks to see if maybe I could get them to say its ready and the jut hadn't called, but they were just as rude once they realized I made them get the check card and again said 45 days.

It's now been 48 days (45 was good friday so wasn't expecting a call then) so my question is, if I do not recive a call today what should my course of action be? Just show up at the court house and ask for it? Call them and remind them they took to long and get their panties in a bunch again? I don't want to get in the days vs business days argument with them, so how should I approach the situation now?

Thanks in advance
    Shawn

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: So it's day 48 of my ltcf app wait, what now

I'll be interested in seeing how this goes for you, as I have done the same. May 1st will be my 45 days. The law states "days" not "business days." I'd probably just go over there and ask for the status. Another member stated having success doing that. Maybe print out the section of state law where it says 45 days for backup.

They're butt hurt that people like you and I didn't throw the local PD extra money. That's the whole reason for the local check form.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal...=462424&mode=2

Says "45 days."

I'll be showing up with that printed out on day 46 if I haven't heard back.
    Last edited by bluetrane2028; April 1st, 2013 at 11:29 AM.

(Armstrong County)

Wow, it's just plain horse shit that anyone in PA have to wait more than 3 days. WTF is going on in this sheriff's department that it takes that long. I'd be moving, come west young man and get it in a day!'
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Allegheny County)

My buddy is having this same problem. He turned in his LTCF application over 45 days ago and still hasn't received anything. I applied for mine in 2009 and received the yellow card in 3 days. I know there are a lot more people applying for them now but it still shouldn't take that long.

(Montgomery County)

Montgomery County makes you go to the local police to get a "police check card" filled out to "aid in their investigation." This typically costs as much as the LTCF application by itself, and does not in any way pay toward the LTCF.

If you fail to give the local police their cut, they make you wait. It's total BS.

Furthermore, since when is it my job to investigate myself?

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0890 View Post
    Hello all, I've been lurking around the forums for a while and have decided noes a good time to join and get some opinions. I'm a montgomery county resident applying for my ltcf for the first time. I turned in my completed application without police check card back on 2/12. Yes they were unhappy and unfriendly about not having the card but I held my ground and the accepted it telling me it would then take 45 days. Not a big deal to me to wait, it's pretty dick of them to act tht way but hey that's within the law just like me not giving them the police card is. I tried calling them after a few weeks to see if maybe I could get them to say its ready and the jut hadn't called, but they were just as rude once they realized I made them get the check card and again said 45 days.

It's now been 48 days (45 was good friday so wasn't expecting a call then) so my question is, if I do not recive a call today what should my course of action be? Just show up at the court house and ask for it? Call them and remind them they took to long and get their panties in a bunch again? I don't want to get in the days vs business days argument with them, so how should I approach the situation now?

Thanks in advance
    Shawn
    Your 45th 'calendar' day will end at midnight end of 4/1 (see 1 Pa CS 1908).

Your 45th business day is midnight end of 4/17.

At the end of either period, depending on whether you "don't want to get in the days vs business days argument with them", I would suggest contacting them and check your status.
    IANAL

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: So it's day 48 of my ltcf app wait, what now

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    Your 45th 'calendar' day will end at midnight end of 4/1 (see 1 Pa CS 1908).

Your 45th business day is midnight end of 4/17.

At the end of either period, depending on whether you "don't want to get in the days vs business days argument with them", I would suggest contacting them and check your status.
    I shall have to look again but I though it started counting he day after you turn in your app and went 45 full days. Friday would have been the 45th day and since the weekend was following it today should be my lucky day. I'll see if I get a phone call today and then perhaps I'll stop by the courthouse tomorrow, I figure their probably more likely to not feed me a line of bullshit if I'm looking them in the face. Anybody have a link to the pa statute that I should quote should they give me any grief, the whole "your wrong" thing rarely goes over well with law enforcement from my experience.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn0890 View Post
    I shall have to look again but I though it started counting he day after you turn in your app and went 45 full days. Friday would have been the 45th day and since the weekend was following it today should be my lucky day. I'll see if I get a phone call today and then perhaps I'll stop by the courthouse tomorrow, I figure their probably more likely to not feed me a line of bullshit if I'm looking them in the face. Anybody have a link to the pa statute that I should quote should they give me any grief, the whole "your wrong" thing rarely goes over well with law enforcement from my experience.
    Since the 45th day was on a state holiday (good Friday) and the following two days were a weekend, the last day of the 45th 'calendar' day is 4/1.

That's why I pointed you to the applicable statute for time computation:

1 Pa CS § 1908. Computation of time.

When any period of time is referred to in any statute, such period in all cases, except as otherwise provided in section 1909 of this title (relating to publication for successive weeks) and section 1910 of this title (relating to computation of months) shall be so computed as to exclude the first and include the last day of such period. Whenever the last day of any such period shall fall on Saturday or Sunday, or on any day made a legal holiday by the laws of this Commonwealth or of the United States, such day shall be omitted from the computation.
    As to the '45 day' rule:

18 Pa CS 6109
    (g) Grant or denial of license.--Upon the receipt of an application for a license to carry a firearm, the sheriff shall, within 45 days, issue or refuse to issue a license on the basis of the investigation under subsection (d) and the accuracy of the information contained in the application. If the sheriff refuses to issue a license, the sheriff shall notify the applicant in writing of the refusal and the specific reasons. The notice shall be sent by certified mail to the applicant at the address set forth in the application.
    1 Pa CS § 1991. Definitions.

The following words and phrases, when used in any statute finally enacted on or after September 1, 1937, unless the context clearly indicates otherwise, shall have the meanings given to them in this section:
    "Day." The time from midnight to the next midnight.
    IANAL

There's no basis in PA law to consider "45 days" to mean "45 business days". You can exclude the 1st day, and skip the last if it's a holiday or weekend. That's it. Every other day counts.

1 Pa.C.S.A. § 1908. Computation of time
    When any period of time is referred to in any statute, such period in all cases, except as otherwise provided in section 1909 of this title (relating to publication for successive weeks) and section 1910 of this title (relating to computation of months) shall be so computed as to exclude the first and include the last day of such period. Whenever the last day of any such period shall fall on Saturday or Sunday, or on any day made a legal holiday by the laws of this Commonwealth or of the United States, such day shall be omitted from the computation.

1 Pa.C.S.A. § 1991. Definitions
    “Day.” The time from midnight to the next midnight.

ETA: Well, I can see that I was beat to the punch here by 1 business minute....
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you both for your insight, I will update this when I talk to the Sherifs department this week, hopefully with good news.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast