Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Eddystone P14 - help ...?

Hey Guys,

I am having some issue(s) trying to ID my .303 P14 simply because it is a short barrel/stock version and cant seem to find much info on it. other than Eddystone, im not sure of much.

any help would be appreciated... year, make, model, value...

thanks again.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Eddystone P14 - help ...?

CMP web site had an article on on the Eddystone. It listed mfg dates to serial numbers and the history of the rifle. Do a google search and look for the CMP site, that is how I found it a year ago.

(Clearfield County)

I only know a little about them. They were made for Great Britain during WWI, starting in 1914. Three companies made them, Winchester, Remington and Eddystone which was a Remington subsidiarity. In Blue Book #32, they don't show various barrel lengths but yours is shorter than ones I seen which should be a plus. A 90% example is worth $850 according to the book. Hope this helps.

(York County)

Angry Re: Eddystone P14 - help ...?

I'm sorry to say that to me it looks like a bubba job. I've never heard of a short version of the P-14 like that.

Here are two ways to detect the fakery:
    1. Look under the bayonet lug at the wood. If the wood is lighter, chances are that it was recut and shaved down recently. (Within the last 20 years when these rifles hit the market en-mass.)

2. Take it to a show and find a P-14 bayonet. If you find that the bayonet does not fit (the front hangs off and doesn't fit at the muzzle ring) you clearly have somebodies basement project.

Sorry to be the one to call it, but it will not have any collector value in that state.

(Berks County)

I am with Ecclectic on this one, cursory look through my ususal sources and books yield nothing on short version.

Good thing is if you want to restore it to almost new, criterion makes new P14 barrels, and sarco lists stock sets for sale, the stock metal you have looks to be in good shape.

Just an option for you to think about while still retaining some decent value. Not too many folks would turn down an otherwise "correct" rifle with a new barrel.

Interesting piece either way.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Berks County)

Thanks guys.

And I knew it wasn't an all original piece when I bought it years ago, as it was presented to me as reworked/finished at one of my LGS... I knew it had been "sportified" and even possibly considered it a decent hunting option too I knew it wasn't worth more than a couple hundred (at best), but took a shot on it because of the smooth/tight/unique action, and turned out to be a joy to shoot...

With the price of .303 ammo these days, and me not shooting it often, it just doesn't make much sense to me to keep it. The room in the safe would be welcomed at this point.

Thanks again guys.

(Elk County)

Jasper:

As some of the others have pointed out, the P14 has been shortened. The small "asterisk" on top of the receiver ring indicates the original (uncut) muzzle was "cord worn," the British term of muzzle wear from cleaning. Accuracy had suffered so it was stamped.

A few importers reworked "cord worn" P14s and No 1 / No 4 Enfields by shortening the barrels and stocks into so-called "Tanker" models for sale to the US market. Shortening the barrel effectively made the muzzle "fresh" again and restored accuracy to a large degree. Unfortunately, collector value was greatly reduced, and these examples are interesting only for exactly what they are -- shortened milsurps. Typical "going rate" when I see them at shows and in shops is about $150.

I hope this helps,

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Jasper:

As some of the others have pointed out, the P14 has been shortened. The small "asterisk" on top of the receiver ring indicates the original (uncut) muzzle was "cord worn," the British term of muzzle wear from cleaning. Accuracy had suffered so it was stamped.

A few importers reworked "cord worn" P14s and No 1 / No 4 Enfields by shortening the barrels and stocks into so-called "Tanker" models for sale to the US market. Shortening the barrel effectively made the muzzle "fresh" again and restored accuracy to a large degree. Unfortunately, collector value was greatly reduced, and these examples are interesting only for exactly what they are -- shortened milsurps. Typical "going rate" when I see them at shows and in shops is about $150.

I hope this helps,

Noah
    Thanks, Noah.

At least I now have a term/description for my P14: "Tanker"... The gun is quite accurate and have no problem with 3"-6" groups at 100yds (which is good for me). I love the look/feel of it, just a shame I don't shoot it often enough anymore.

The stock is in excellent shape and all metal components is rust free as well. If I could get $150+ I'd prob sell it... Looks like I'll be bringing it to my next gun show...!

I would also point out that the British did some arsenal shortening jobs, but they're typically only an inch or so shorter than a normal P-14. Concur it's probably a cobbled together one.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jasper QST View Post
    Thanks, Noah.

At least I now have a term/description for my P14: "Tanker"... The gun is quite accurate and have no problem with 3"-6" groups at 100yds (which is good for me). I love the look/feel of it, just a shame I don't shoot it often enough anymore.

The stock is in excellent shape and all metal components is rust free as well. If I could get $150+ I'd prob sell it... Looks like I'll be bringing it to my next gun show...!
    if you want to sell it. i'd be interested in it I think it is neat. grockgeochris@verizon.net