Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Calling all FNH Five Seven owners

I've been looking into purchasing one of these. What I wanna know is, are they worth the money? Price isn't my problem, I just don't want to spend that kind of cash without getting some positive feedback on it.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Calling all FNH Five Seven owners

Definitely worth it, if you can find one pre-panic priced. Light, accurate, low recoil, high capacity. If you look up older posts on the Five Seven you'll find a member named Valorius had a wealth of knowledge on the Five Seven. The only negatives I can think of are lack of reasonably priced ammo, and the pistol itself being reasonably priced. If you find one I don't think you'd regret the purchase.

(Chester County)

Not an owner, but I rented one at French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville a couple of weeks ago. It definitly fun to shoot, and worth at least a rental. I'm not sure what you consider when judging what something is worth to you, but the fun factor is high. fireballs as big as my face with the american eagle ammo they had. 5 targets, rental and 2 boxes came to just under 100$, and I had a smile the entire time.

Quote Originally Posted by Chvyrs90 View Post
    I've been looking into purchasing one of these. What I wanna know is, are they worth the money? Price isn't my problem, I just don't want to spend that kind of cash without getting some positive feedback on it.
    The 5.7 round is an excellent choice for self defense, IMHO. However, the FiveseveN is stupidly expensive for a polymer gun. Ammo is next to impossible to find right now, and the few rounds that are available are ridiculously over priced. Elite Ammunition hasn't had any of their excellent ammo in stock since the fall, and it doesn't look like they're going to have anything for a good long while.

Unless you're dying to drop $1200+ for a gun you can't get ammo for, I'd say wait until the furor dies down and ammo shows up again.

(Bucks County)

i think the 5.7 is a nice gun but way overpriced for what it is, i bought one years ago for 839 and for that price it was worth it. before CT 5.7's were running about 1200 and at that price point there are to many guns available that are just as good or better quality and more versatile. if you want a 5.7 just to add to the collection and money isn't an object go for because they are nice guns but for the money there are better choices available.

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks for the input guys. It'll be after summer before I purchase a new gun, so hopefully by then the prices will start to come back down. I just don't want to purchase something for that amount, and not like it. And who knows, by the time I'm ready to buy, the prices may be so good that I can buy two new guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Chvyrs90 View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. It'll be after summer before I purchase a new gun, so hopefully by then the prices will start to come back down. I just don't want to purchase something for that amount, and not like it. And who knows, by the time I'm ready to buy, the prices may be so good that I can buy two new guns!
    If you go to Classic Pistol, in Southhampton right off of Street Rd you can rent a FiveseveN. It's a pretty nice gun to shoot, very light recoil, and the gun itself isn't heavy either. The grip is pretty wide though, front to back not so much side to side.

I had fun when I rented it, but looking back I probably wouldn't buy one. The price at the moment isn't worth MY use for the gun. It would be a $1,000 safe queen/range toy.

(Bucks County)

I too have been looking at them, but have paused because of both the price and now the lack of available ammo. I can't find any 5.7 anywhere. Hopefully the supply will return soon. I think the FiveSeveN would make an outstanding handgun for target and defense.

(Northampton County)

I bought this gun for $500 lnib about two years ago from a woman that brought it in to a local gun shop, and was trying to unload it. I sold it for the same price several months ago to a friend that really wanted it, and was with me when I originally purchased it. Therefore I would not pay $1200, or $1800 for it now or ever. I think the gun is over-hyped, and the stopping power is misleading, exaggerated for certain scenarios. Finding the better ammunition for it is extremely difficult, and the less desirable ammo is going for $1 a round, when you find it. Although the recoil, capacity, stopping power were all attractive, the gun was not exactly concealable, ammo difficult to find at any price. This is just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to those that like the gun.

(Montgomery County)

I own one. I bought it last year at pre-panic prices. I like it enough that I didn't even consider selling it at the top of the bubble when it was worth just about double what I paid for it.

Pros:
    * 20 round standard capacity.
    * Highest muzzle velocity from a modern handgun.
    * Light weight; easy to carry when standing/walking.
    * Low recoil.

Cons:
    * It's big; the bulk becomes annoying when sitting down.
    * The grip is big. May affect accuracy for some; see below.
    * It's very loud. Not surprising given the MV.
    * Ammo availability/price.

Accuracy for me is not that great. I feel the gun is capable of better, but I don't shoot it particularly well. If I need to hit bulls-eyes, I'm better off with P7 or a 1911. I'm not sure why this is exactly. I think it's the bulky grip (I have relatively small hands) combined with the low mass, which does nothing to dampen any unsteadiness. I suppose I should practice with it more. I have plenty of ammo, but I'm still reluctant to shoot much it until replacement stock becomes more available. Then again, being able to shoot bulls-eyes at longer distances is not really what a defensive handgun is all about. I'd rather have a carbine for that, which is I why I also have a PS90.
    Molon Labe!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast