Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: What will do you if your job has a clearly stated "No Firearms" policy?

Voters
218. You may not vote on this poll
  • Carry concealed disregarding the policy

55 25.23%
  • Leave firearm at home

69 31.65%
  • Leave firearm in your vehicle

78 35.78%
  • Look for another job

16 7.34%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Opinion on carry at work though clearly stated "No Weapons" policies exist.

I think this was brought up a while ago, but I'm curious to see the consensus (if any).
    If your job has a clearly stated "No weapons" policy. Will you still carry or will you abide by the rules?

Things to consider:
    a. It's private property and their rules.
    b. No one forced you to work for them.
    c. When hired you agree to follow the company's policies.

...on the flip side

a. Workplace shootings are not uncommon and depending on where you work, could be likely.
    b. If properly concealed a firearm will never be discovered.
    c. "Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

I'm not advocating one or the other. Just want to get a feel for what other people think.

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Opinion on carry at work though clearly stated "No Weapons" policies exist.

I carry while working, but the company I'm contracted to currently does not have a weapons policy. Therefore, I carry concealed so I am not the reason why the company suddenly decides they need to put a weapons policy in place for the independent contractors.

As far as actually being directly employed, employees generally have to read and sign an "employee manual", and agree to follow the policies therein. If the company has a clearly stated "No Weapons" policy and an employee violates that policy, the company is well within their rights to discontinue the employee's term of service with the company. We may not agree with the policy, but we should follow it if we want to keep our jobs.

Employment generally takes place upon private property owned by the employer. The employer's rights to dictate what occurs upon that private property trumps the employee's rights to carry weapons. It sucks, but the only things that can be done are either convince the employer that the employees would be safer while allowed to carry their weapons, or find an employer who allows weapons carry on work property.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Opinion on carry at work though clearly stated "No Weapons" policies exist.

No brainer. My company has a no weapons policy with automatic termination for first offense.

(Franklin County)

Easy one, I've been doing it for far too long, without a doubt, leave it at home.

Depends on where you have to park, but I leave it secured in the vehicle.

I work in a gated plant surrounded by barbed wire fencing. If there is a break in of some sorts onto the property I have bigger issues to worry about, and I will also be glad I have it because someone is most likely there to do me harm. My company policy is no weapons on company property, but luckily we are only about 6 guys strong, and over half of us carry, and the rest are good at not tattling.
    Last edited by Nucking Futs; March 3rd, 2013 at 01:55 PM.

I usually CC with very little imprint. but if it could jeopardize my job, its likely staying in the car.

(Allegheny County)

Good question. I think workplace shootings are still extraordinarily uncommon, though. You're probably more likely to get fired for bringing a gun to work than to ever be in a workplace shooting. But if you conceal well enough, I guess you could cut down those odds.

I just wouldn't want to have to worry about some co-worker discovering I have a gun.

Quote Originally Posted by BadAtScreennames View Post
    Good question. I think workplace shootings are still extraordinarily uncommon, though. You're probably more likely to get fired for bringing a gun to work than to ever be in a workplace shooting. But if you conceal well enough, I guess you could cut down those odds.

I just wouldn't want to have to worry about some co-worker discovering I have a gun.
    safer avoiding the whole scenario,. i have very nosy, trouble-maker co-workers soo...

(Blair County)

I depend on the government to keep me safe, I never carry a firearm at work.....

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by BadAtScreennames View Post
    You're probably more likely to get fired for bringing a gun to work than to ever be in a workplace shooting.
    I'm sure that this is correct...however the negative outcome of the first option is to be unemployed, and the negative outcome of the second is to be dead.

If I am not LEGALLY prohibited, I am carrying.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast