Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Shooting on your own property

Does anyone know the easiest way to find out what the restrictions are on shooting rifles and pistols on ones property? My parents have a house in Gettysburg with about three acres. There is a great place to shoot as it is down hill and into a big mound of dirt, with a bunch of woods behind that.

Does the shooting have to take place a specific distance from other peoples houses, or their property lines? What about noise? My neighbors would definitely be able to hear the firing, but as long as i'm not shooting at 10PM or 7AM, is there anything they can do?

Default Re: Shooting on your own property

Youu've got two issues:

First, does your local municipality prohibit the discharge of firearms except for hunting? You'll need to check a copy of the local ordinances, which can be purchased from the municipality for perhaps $25, read at the local library for free, or sometimes found online. It won't say it's permitted, you just need to read the rules and make sure it's not prohibited.

Second, any conduct can be done in a manner that disturbs the peace, or recklessly endangers others. It only takes one anti-gun neighbor to claim that rounds are impacting his trees, flying over his house, endangering his family. There was an instance around here where a soccer mom went to the police with a cartridge that she claimed had impacted near her home. Not a bullet, she was holding a complete cartridge.

Anti-gunners lie without shame, so you have to use overkill on the safety issue. Make sure that your berm is higher than the berm at a public range, if you can.

(Philadelphia County)

I know you also need at least 150feet between other's property, or houses. Or something like that.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Union County)

Not trying to give anyone legal advice but I had the same question when I bought my "gentleman's farm". I have 45 plus acres and solved the problem of whether I could shot or not simply by calling the county sheriffs office after asking my nearest neighbor if he had any problems with me shooting.

Make a long story short the neighbor had no objections and neither did the sheriffs department--that was three sheriffs ago and I haven't a problem in the 20years I have been shooting there. Of course, this is a rural area.

grizz

(Luzerne County)

It has nothing to do with whether or not its okay with the sheriffs dept. The same with the neighbors. Neither party has a say in the matter. Of course, it you piss of the neighbors they might make a stink about and complain to your city/town/borough leaders.

As already stated, make sure your municipality does not have a law against the discharge of a weapon within its boundries (outside of hunting).

(Union County)

[QUOTE=Steve in PA;19982]It has nothing to do with whether or not its okay with the sheriffs dept. The same with the neighbors. Neither party has a say in the matter. Of course, it you piss of the neighbors they might make a stink about and complain to your city/town/borough leaders.

I know you are correct as fair as the law goes..

In my case, I said I lived in a rural area, I don't live in a town, city, or borough I get no city or town services, they don't plow my road, they don't pickup my garbage, they provide me any sewage or water, and the only law enforcement I have is the sheriffs department or state police.

The reason for calling the Sheriff was he would know if there was any law against my shooting on this property if so I wouldn't do it. Reason for asking neighbor was I wanted to be neighborly.

grizz

(Luzerne County)

Well, sheriffs are county based and they more than likely won't know one way or the other if the area you live in has an odrinance against discharging a weapon.

Example, you could call the sheriffs office here in Wilkes-Barre and they won't know if you can shoot in Bear Creek, Mountain Top, Glen Lyon, etc.

You area is governed by someone. You need to contact them and find out.

(Luzerne County)

Ditto to what Steve, Grizz and Gun Lawyer advised. It all comes down to city,town, borough ordinances. A good (laymens) indicator of the possibility....do you hear others in your area shooting? Good luck with your pursuit.

(Lebanon County)

Neighbors are an important factor here. For trouble free shooting, try to shoot at the same time of day, and watch for neighbor who may work shift work and sleep odd hours. Sounds like a hassle, but it beats starting a war with someone just because you're allowed to do something. May come a time you'll need that persons help.

I guess calling my local sheriff would be the best place to find this information out.

I don't think people are shooting semi-automatic rifles or pistols in the area, but I hear hunters shooting in the area all the time. I just don't know how close they are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast