Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Senator Toomey's Response

I wrote to senator Toomey on Tuesday to thank him for his recent votes in support of 2nd amendment rights. I thanked him for voting against anti gun zealot Caitlan Halligan that Obama had nominated for a Federal Judgeship. I also thanked him for his support for 2nd amendment freedoms by voting against the UN Arms treaty that would have jeopordized ownership of firearms in the United States if it had passed. His office response was this.

Dear Jennifer,
    Thank you for contacting me about the United Nations (U.N.) Arms Trade Treaty (ATT). As an opponent of this treaty, I appreciate hearing from you about this important issue.

Like many Pennsylvanians, I have long been a supporter of Second Amendment rights. They are of fundamental importance to our nation, and I believe that Americans have a personal, constitutional right to self-protection and to engage in recreational activities involving firearms. In fact, during my previous tenure in the House of Representatives (1999-2005), my record of supporting gun owners' rights earned me an "A" rating from the National Rifle Association.

That said, I understand and share your concerns about the ATT. As you may know, this treaty was created in 2006 by U.N. General Assembly Resolution A/RES/61/89. Its purpose is to create international standards for the arms trade. Like you, I am deeply concerned by this treaty because of its potential infringement on our right to keep and bear arms. You may be pleased to know that on July 22, 2011 I joined 44 of my Senate colleagues in sending a letter to President Obama and Secretary Clinton opposing ratification of the ATT. I also joined 50 of my colleagues on July 26, 2012 in sending another letter to President Obama and Secretary Clinton reaffirming my opposition to this treaty.

In addition, Senator Jerry Moran (R-KS) introduced S. 2205 in the 112th Congress. Among its provisions, this measure expressed the sense of Congress that U.S. sovereignty and the constitutionally protected freedoms of American gun owners must be upheld and not be undermined by the ATT. I was a cosponsor of S. 2205, which was not considered before the last Congress ended.

Most recently, I am an original cosponsor of Senator Moran's resolution, S. Con. Res. 7, which expresses the sense of Congress that the President should not sign the ATT. I also voted in support of Senator James Inhofe's (R-OK) amendment to the fiscal year 2014 budget resolution (S. Con. Res. 8), which seeks to prevent the U.S. from entering into the ATT. This amendment passed the Senate by a vote of 53-46.

Thank you again for your correspondence. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future if I can be of assistance.
    Sincerely,

Pat Toomey
    U.S. Senator, Pennsylvania
    As far as reponses go I am satisfied upto this point with Senator Toomey and his actions. I had mentioned to him that after all the Nanny Bloomers ads from the drunk and angry Mayors was all done we will still be here supporting you as you support the 2nd amendment.
    Last edited by JenniferG; March 29th, 2013 at 01:26 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC