Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Anyone else remember Edelman's?

While gathering my Rugers for the Ruger photo thread, I was rooting through my ammo cans and found three old boxes of Remington .22 that I had put in a dark corner long ago. Note the price stickers -- I bought it at the old Leslie Edelman store on Route 309 in Montgomeryville - the same day I picked up my Ruger Mark II, back in 1982 (I know, you would have thought .22 ammo would have been much cheaper back then). It was my first gun purchase. Edelman's has probably been closed for 15 years or more now -- but back in the day it was a pretty popular place. I used to go there and drool at the guns until I turned 21 and scraped up enough cash to buy that Mark II. I've probably put more than 5,000 rounds through that Mark II over the years but can't remember why I didn't shoot all this old Remmy ammo a long time ago (probably because I always seem to find more duds with Rem ammo than Federal/CCI. But, no time like the present. I know it hasn't improved with age but it was stored in a sealed ammo can in a dry closet, looks as clean as the day I bought it. Be interesting to see how many duds I get!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone else remember Edelman's?

Man, you're making me feel old. I remember going there with my dad back in the day, but I can't remember much about the place. I was probably inside only once or twice, and I wasn't even old enough to drive.

I'm pretty sure they put up a new Hibachi buffet restaurant there now, or else it's right next door to where Edelman's used to be.

(Bucks County)

I remember looking for my first pistol a.357 magS&W

(Monroe County)

I remember a conversation i had with Leslie Edelman in the early 90's at his LOng Island store the one route 110 in Farmingdale, Leslie was waiting on me over the counter because none of his employees asked if they could help me so Leslie stepped up and aplogised, anyway i commented on the nice brand new HK91 's fresh off the ship from Germany in the showcase for $600, i commented to leslie how expensive they were he said to me in time to come you will not be able to get these Rifles anymore and they will go for thousands of dollars, boy was he right.
    Leslie Edelman was a classy guy with good prices at his store. I usually stop in before or after the gun show next door.
    I still have rare 7.62 x54 Argentine ammo in original boxes for 1.99 a box that Leslie sold me himself.

(Allegheny County)

You shouldn't have any trouble with the ammo. People routinely shoot ammo that was manufactured during WWII. I've shot hundreds of .22 rounds that had been submerged in flood water, set out to dry, then kept in a damp basement for a few years. Only a handful of duds in the whole lot of them.

It's always cool to find ammo stashed away like that. If a box has no price tag, I generally write on the box the price paid, date purchased, and store where bought. I get a chuckle at seeing the difference in prices years later.

I have a half box of CCI Mini Mags from around 1975 that I keep meaning to shoot. Part of me wants to hang onto them though, as they are the only tangible thing I have from the time when I was shooting my first rifle.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Wayne County)

I remember an Edelman's on Roosevelt Blvd in NE Philly when I was a kid.

Good 'ol Edelman's...

Strangely enough I don't think I had ever stepped foot in that store until I was about 22-23 y/o and on break from school in Montana. My father and I bought a couple of Russian Laminated SKS's for $99.00 each, and at one point bought some reloading gear there. Was disappointed to learn that he had shut the store down...

Now, if you really want to date yourself....Tell me if you remember a place called the "The Sport Spot" in Bucks County...

(Lehigh County)

I remember them. They were right on 309.
    And across the street was Don's gun room

Quote Originally Posted by bigboy69 View Post
    I remember them. They were right on 309.
    And across the street was Don's gun room
    Don's is gone also?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
    Don's is gone also?
    Donn's became Dell's, and Dell's has since moved to Lansdale, I believe.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast