Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Anyone else remember Edelman's?

In 1950 my father worked at Rittenhouse and Germantown Ave. Across the street on Germantown Ave was Edelman's Pawn Shop. Dad bought me a 12 gauge single for $12 there. This is how Edelman's began. They opened a gun/shooting supply store on 463 aka Horsham Road. In 1971 I bought a 12-power Leupold there, which I still use. That closed and they opened that weird spot in Montgomery County on 309. Timing was great. The 1984 gun control crap started. $400 Uzis were selling for $1600 until they quickly became unavailable. Otherwise, they seemed to fade away after that.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by shiloh View Post
    While gathering my Rugers for the Ruger photo thread, I was rooting through my ammo cans and found three old boxes of Remington .22 that I had put in a dark corner long ago. Note the price stickers -- I bought it at the old Leslie Edelman store on Route 309 in Montgomeryville - the same day I picked up my Ruger Mark II, back in 1982 (I know, you would have thought .22 ammo would have been much cheaper back then). It was my first gun purchase. Edelman's has probably been closed for 15 years or more now -- but back in the day it was a pretty popular place. I used to go there and drool at the guns until I turned 21 and scraped up enough cash to buy that Mark II. I've probably put more than 5,000 rounds through that Mark II over the years but can't remember why I didn't shoot all this old Remmy ammo a long time ago (probably because I always seem to find more duds with Rem ammo than Federal/CCI. But, no time like the present. I know it hasn't improved with age but it was stored in a sealed ammo can in a dry closet, looks as clean as the day I bought it. Be interesting to see how many duds I get!

I bought my first gun, a Colt single action army .357, at Edleman's in 1971 for $169.

I remember EDELMANS in Farmingdale Long Island N Y in the early 1980s,business went south after an employee sold a shotgun questionably to a person under a PFA and he shot his wife at a local bakery in Brentwood. Dont know if there was any relationship ?

Leslie Edelman also owned Nationwide Sports Distributors , one of the largest gun and sporting goods wholesalers. The Edelmans stores were basically outlet stores. He also owns Kimber.

Used to go on Sat morn gun shopping trips to Edelmans on 309 , across the street to Donn's , then to Target World , and then Dimmig's.
    I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Bucks County)

Remember? I wanted to live there.
    There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy - Dante.

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    Yes, he was what I would call wiry, thin, but all muscle. The healthy eating shtick was part of the sales pitch for his soap and other stuff. I remember one time he was talking about how tallow based soap came from cows that went to the slaughterhouse and how that made it bad for you. Not sure why that particular image sticks with me.
    He could bend a dime in his bare hands......

(Lancaster County)

I spent many paychecks at the Edelman's store in Newtown Square.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678