Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Re: Anyone else remember Edelman's?

Quote Originally Posted by Kramer View Post
    I bought many guns, ammo, reloading stuff, etc from the Long Island store. I even bought one of those H&K 91s on sale for $499 (around 1986) and still have it. For the same price you had a choice of a 91 or 93 in black, Nato camo or desert camo.
    You are so right, i remember the 93's too, they were also available with the retracting stock.

(Bucks County)

I remember them very well its where I bought my first 3 hand guns. Everytime I drive past where the 309 store used to be I wish it was still there

(Montgomery County)

Anyone remember the one in Jersey just off Airport Circle in Pennsauken?

My neighbor was a part time salesman there. Also an NRA instructor. He is the one that taught me to shoot and hunt and got me a good deal on a lightly used shotgun. I still have that gun now 30 some years later. I used to love going up there and just dreaming of being able to afford some of the guns in that place.

(Lancaster County)

Thumbs up Re: Anyone else remember Edelman's?

Just some trivia info on Edelmans- The old man sold out all of his stores and divided the profits w/ Son- Leslie Jr & his Daughter(Can't recall her name)
    and Leslie Jr. Bought Kimber and started making 1911 45's and the Daughters & her husband started selling "FOBUS" Holsters to the best of my knowledge..;.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by paul641 View Post
    I also worked in Montgomreyville 1973,74 part time.Wife let me spend my paychecks on guns.I remember having to go to Miley's protective agency over in West Point Pa for a lie detector test to get the job.Butch worked there when I was there I think he became a East or West Rockhill cop sometime during tha time. I remember Marlin 336 on sale for $69.00.Sad to say I remember the son as a uppity spoiled young man.Just my two cents I really didn't,try to get friendly with him.I think I remember feeling poor around him. Hey,,I was a kid myself,,,what did I know? Someone mentioned Sport Spot on 611. That place was owned by Paul Baughman,,,he had more S&W handguns in his collection than Smith and Wesson did ,,,I sware.
    I worked for Edelman's at both the Montgomery store for a short while then as assistant manager at the Whitehall store before I became a police officer. Butch was my manager and we opened the store together for Harris Edleman. Before retail I worked at nationwide Sports, Edelman's wholesale operation in Southampton. In wholesale I worked for Harris (the father), Leslie (the son who now owns Kimber), and Gordy (the other son who spent a lot of time at college during those years). There was also another partner at the time named Art Toll. I remeber the daughter but cannot remember her name. I left Edleman's in 1977.

After getting into police work I worked part time at both the Sport Spot on 611 in Plumsteadville, and also Ski's in Ottsville, the wholesale operation for Frank Gidlewski, who founded Ski's in Ottville with his brother Al and later the Sport Spot. Paul Baughman became a partner with Frank Gidlewski at the Sport Spot late in the game. Anyone who shopped there would have known Knobby and Charlie who worked the counter at Sport Spot, and also Nick and Tony, the two gun smiths from Brooklyn who worked at Ski's and lived on the property at the wholesale operation.

I knew Frank Gidlewski well, and use to take him every holiday to Czerw's on Tilton Street in Port Richmond to get kielbasa and Czupula's to get rye bread and bobka. Frank usually bought around 20 pounds of kiebasa alone for his family and friends. Boy did the car smell like garlic after the trip.

Paul Baughman was also a real great guy who I worked for in 1969 at the old Cartex site in Doylestown (foam rubber) for college money. He actually became a partner with Frank several years before the Sport Spot closed.

I remember the Marlin 336C sold like hot cakes from Edelman's in the 1970's. Between Nationwide selling wholesale to dealers up and down the east coast and all of the Edelman retail stores selling them to the public below wholesale (Edelman got them at jobber cost), they sold tens of thousands of them.

Great memories.
    Last edited by chiefdjs; April 2nd, 2013 at 10:31 PM.

So I am headed back to the Home State of PA in a few days and was thinking about Edelman's and googled to see if the stores still existed. Came on this thread.
    Ref: the above post, the daughter's name is Leslie also. I went to high school with her in Abington, PA.
    Sad to here the stores went under.

(Bucks County)

I've still got half a box of .22 LR "Plinker" ammo with the Edelman sticker on it. I bought it one night at the store on Roosevelt Blvd. back in the late 70s. Forgot I had it until I cleaned out a box of old gear. Works in a bolt action .22 but I haven't tried it in the Ruger 10/22 for concern it might not have the oomph to cycle.

(Monroe County)

Leslie Edelman was part owner of Kimber and that is the connection and how Chuck Lutz gunsmith was employed by both at one point in time.

Smile Re: Anyone else remember Edelman's?

I remember Edelmans ,Farmingdale L I,Bought my Bersa model 83 all steel packed in cosmoline for $109,And the SKSs when they hit the market bought them for $89.99,At those times a lot of Police trade ins S&W 15,10,19,66,and some Chiefs model 36s in the price range of $100 to $149.

(Monroe County)

One of his relatives is a stamp and coin dealer in Jenkintown, Pa.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast