Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Just respecting a property owner’s rights on guns

I went to my local Just Tires Store because I got a flat. While inside waiting I glance back at the front door and noticed this sign from the inside. Wasn’t sure what it said since it was backwards so I went outside to take a look. From the inside thought I would have to stop giving the place my business when I saw the crossed out pistol but was happy to see I didn’t have to stop. I was CCing my LC9 under my coat, so as a gun owner who respects a property owner’s rights, I went to my car, took off my jacket and proceeded to OC while in the store. When I was checking out after getting my tire fixed and alignment checked, I got into a conversation with the guy behind the counter, think his name was Dennis. Turns out he prefers 1911’s. I don’t think he was carrying because if he was it would have been concealed and obviously against company policy. Talked about the shortage of ammo and guns. One thing I forgot to ask was why the choice of sign obviously I did not mind it was just unusual to see in suburban Exton. Wish other businesses would display the same sign. Overall a good encounter.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Just respecting a property owner’s rights on guns

I wonder how many potential criminals that sign has stopped?

Just put yourself in the criminal's thought process for a moment (I realize its hard to drop that many IQ points, but the resulting headache might be worth it if you bear with me).

Mr. Dipshit Stickup Artist rolls up, sees the sign, and ignores it as criminals typically do. Since Mr. Dipshit either can't read or doesn't bother to, he doesn't realize that this shop is not a "gun free" zone, just an area where the owner most likely wants to see what everybody is carrying.

So Mr. Dipshit rolls in, yanks his piece and demands money, or swag, or whatever they call it these days. The owner or whoever is behind the counter smirks and lifts an eyebrow to the waiting customers, and Mr. Dipshit finds himself looking down the barrels of various bang bangs. Hopefully including a few 1911's, preferably in .45 due to the property owner's noted preference.....

See where I'm going here?
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Montgomery County)

Are we sure it wasn't a blatant "no firearms" sign worded poorly? I think just tires is a chain so I doubt Dennis was the owner and more than likely just an employee that likes guns and didn't care you were carrying.
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by cmr076 View Post
    Are we sure it wasn't a blatant "no firearms" sign worded poorly? I think just tires is a chain so I doubt Dennis was the owner and more than likely just an employee that likes guns and didn't care you were carrying.
    Based on what? He read the plainly-worded sign, followed the instructions and had no problems. Sounds like a win to me. If a place is going to go to the trouble to put up a sign I'll trust them to word it the way they want. Part of Dennis's job is to enforce the company's rules. Which he was doing. I say.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    Based on what? He read the plainly-worded sign, followed the instructions and had no problems. Sounds like a win to me. If a place is going to go to the trouble to put up a sign I'll trust them to word it the way they want. Part of Dennis's job is to enforce the company's rules. Which he was doing. I say.
    I'm with you it just seems like a stupid sign and policy. After a little googling it looks like Goodyear owns just tires, as you can see here: http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/sho...php?pid=143531 a member of that forum saw the sign and wrote to the parent company, the exchange was this:

To Whom It May Concern:

I have been a Just Tires Customer for about 3 years. I chose to do my business because of the large selection of Goodyear tires as well as the fast and excellent service I have received in the past. However, I noticed something last week that I had missed on previous visits.

Your location in Knightdale, NC has some of the best employees I've had the pleasure of dealing with in a long time. Customer service is a big deal to me and I try to let businesses know when I receive notable service, both good and bad. While my service experience was a most pleasant one, it almost didn't happen due to the sign posted next to the entrance. This sign prohibits legally licensed firearm owners from carrying in your establishment. I simply left my firearm in the vehicle and retrieved it before the technician pulled it into the service bay. However, I had to wait on the sidewalk outside the shop until my car was finished. I noticed the same sign next to the entry of your store on NC Highway 55 in Durham, NC when I lived in that area. At the time, I was not a gun owner and felt that it was not an issue to bring to your attention.

As it is in the nature of a criminal to disregard laws, rules, and regulations, the only people you are hurting by this is the law abiding citizen. I would like to request that you have these signs removed. I do not know if this is a decision that is made by corporate management or if it is up to the individual managers, but I would welcome an open discourse if you would like to discuss this further.

Sincerely,
    Christopher J Ellis
    Concealed Carry Permit Holder
    The response from Goodyear:

Goodyear Wrote:
    Thank you for contacting our web site and for voicing your concerns. In an
    effort to ensure the safety and security of our associates and customers,
    we have a clear company policy regarding weapons in the workplace. The
    Goodyear Tire and Rubber Co. prohibits all persons who enter Company
    property from carrying a handgun, firearm, or prohibited weapon of any kind
    onto the property regardless of whether the person is licensed to carry the
    weapon or not. Exceptions apply to on-duty law enforcement personnel.
    This policy applies to all Company employees, visitors, customers, and
    contractors on Company property -- including our Company-owned stores.
    All Company properties have received a decal or sign referencing this
    policy, and have been instructed to post it.
    Now I suspect the company sent the signs out because they didn't know people could legally carry any way other than concealed... Rep sent to the OP for his great encounter though!

My Feedback:

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 51612
    I'm with you it just seems like a stupid sign and policy. After a little googling it looks like Goodyear owns just tires, as you can see here: http://www.ncgunowners.com/forum/sho...php?pid=143531 a member of that forum saw the sign and wrote to the parent company, the exchange was this:

The response from Goodyear:

Now I suspect the company sent the signs out because they didn't know people could legally carry any way other than concealed... Rep sent to the OP for his great encounter though!
    I generally try to notice signs and follow them, but i dont speak gibberish. And the letter in response is worded just as poorly as the sign.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; March 28th, 2013 at 11:26 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Please tell me that you didn't take that sign to mean "No concealed carry, but OPEN carry is O-TAY!"

Nevermind. Don't answer. It's obvious to anyone that the sign means "no firearms" - period.
    To say that you think otherwise is simply ridiculous. Nice try though.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Please tell me that you didn't take that sign to mean "No concealed carry, but OPEN carry is O-TAY!"

Nevermind. Don't answer. It's obvious to anyone that the sign means "no firearms" - period.
    I kinda felt like I was being trolled.... Was I just trolled?!

My Feedback:

(York County)

Every once in a while EM has a little trouble containing his disdain for open carry.

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

Technically, it all makes sense, although it adds an 'extra' step to the process.

Once you are OC, they can discover your firearm and ask you to leave.

So, "No Concealed Firearms" is a first step to the abolishment of all firearms. A "No Guns" sign would be simpler and just as effective, admittedly.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast