Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default My S&W MP40c Nightmare

I had purchased an M&P40c about a year ago. I had not shot it much until a few weeks ago. After firing about 10-15 rounds I noticed the white insert from the front sight post was gone. I was pretty pissed since the gun had only about 150-200 rounds through it. I had already sent it back to S&W once because the slide release would not work. It would not release the slide and I would really push down on it.

So I packed it up and asked them to check the barrel for me since a neither a few guys at my range or me could get it to group at 15 yards. I sent it back to S&W a few weeks ago and got it back on Tuesday. As I open it up I find a free magazine they used to test and THE WHITE INSERT MISSING FROM REAR-RIGHT SIGHT. Needless to say I was once again pissed and immediately called S&W. I spoke to "Michael" who told me that he'll just send me another rear sight and it should take 3-4 weeks since they are backed up 8 days on shipping.

I said 3-4 weeks wasn't going to fly and he punched something in his keyboard and said he'd 2nd day it for me and it should be here by Friday. However, after doing some research I found out that S&W uses a hydraulic press to install the rear sights and that people often has problems knocking the sight loose.

Rather than risk damaging my slide I figure I'll just send it back to S&W and let them worry about it. I wrote a friendly letter telling them to replace my sights because 2 of 3 inserts fell out and if the final one does I am going to sell it and never buy another S&W because of the lemon they sold me.

So after my long-winded rant, have any of you had similar problems with the M&P line? I've had a full size in .40 for almost 5 years and it's been flawless.

(Crawford County)

Default Re: My S&W MP40c Nightmare

I had an M&P 9mm that no one could get to group at 7 yards. Sold it to a guy who was willing to jump through all the hoops with S&W. Gotta say I'm not all that impressed with S&W's quality control in their semi-automatic lines. I'll stick with the revolvers. They haven't managed to screw those up to badly yet...
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

Not exactly a similar problem but on my 9 f/s I switched it to a lefty setup and the mag follower would get caught on the mag release causing a jam. Callee and emailed s&w about the problem 3x's weeks ago, each time being told i would receive a return label and never did, and I'm supposed to be receiving a new updated mag follower.

P.s. I've already fixed the problem and the gun is back to working flawlessly.

(York County)

I have a 40c and the front sight was missing a few tiny specs of white when I bought it. I called and they said I could paint it myself or wait for a new one. I opted to paint it myself, wasn't hard with some craft pant and a toothpick. The takedown lever also doesn't stay turned to 6 o'clock for disassembly like my full size 40 did, but they said that wasn't an issue. No serious problems with my 40c or 40 full size though.
    "Give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

No issues with my XD. But my white dot sight had faded and darkened over the years which made them hard to see... so i took some white out and a toothpick and spiced them up, cheap and easy!
    ΑΣΦ

(Berks County)

My 40C was flawless and made me an M&P owner for life. My M&P9 Pro is qually as perfect. I don't doubt that some issues exist and I don't doubt what people say when they say things went wrong but I just haven't seen any of it. My M&Ps have been perfect while I see other people struggling with all other brands.

(Dauphin County)

I own a M&P40C, I have put a reasonable amount of rounds through it with out a problem. Unfortunately, as with anything mechanical, not each and every one is the same & there's always a possibility of getting a lemon. I've run into it with a shotgun I recently bought.

I feel your pain and wish you luck & quick timing to get it fixed. Hang in there, I wouldn't give up on S&W yet.

(Philadelphia County)

I wonder if quality control is starting to suffer because of the rush to buy firearms due to all the idiotic legislation being proposed?

(Centre County)

hummm couple of things.

My M&P9, M&P9C, and M&P45 never had an issue with any insert coming off.
    I didn't have white dot long enough before switching to night sight(several weeks), but I've pumped good several hundred rounds though it.

My rear sight did not required no hydro press to push out. Light tap with rubber marret is all it needed(When you do remove the rear sight on your own, becarful not to lose the small spring located under the rear sight for firing pin stop! Dont asl me how I know)

Only issue that I had with my M&P9 was that the older black mag follower broke(Gun continued to function. It rattled, as broken piece was still in the mag), which S&W promptly replaced(and sent me a new mag for my trouble).

Accuracy - Now, this is something I relate to.
    my M&P's were something of 3" group gun at 12yds. no matte what I did, I could not get it to shoot smaller group.
    I attributed this to piss poor trigger feel(as M&P45 with trigger job did better group then that), but out of of accuracy leaves something to be desired.

Over the production run, rifling rate was changed 3 times. Im not sure what mine was. All my guns were early ones.
    I liked m&p's. I still do. Sort of kickin my butt for trading it in(traded after I found what I thought was better carry gun - Kahr K9 and T9)

Here are some interesting reading for ya
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=1272
    http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=159
    Last edited by Mity2; March 28th, 2013 at 02:19 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Allegheny County)

Dont send it back - two of our M&Ps lost dots painted on - it seems to be a bad trait of S&W - the company they use is obviously the shits....

My husband scratched both of them up a little (where the paint sits in the dot) and put with a toothpick some testors white paint. They are both good so far. Even if it comes off, it is no big deal to redo this way. Its a craft paint and works well.

Our dots came off after less than 100 rounds also. I understand this is a common thing unfortunately. Just get the sights and keep them in case you sell it. (you can give it with the gun)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast