Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default S&W MP22 accuracy

Does anyone have one of these Mp22's? Any accuracy/reliability reports?

(Chester County)

Default Re: S&W MP22 accuracy

I'm not the best shooter around but mine seems to shoot great.

I was having some weird problems out of the box with live rounds feeding wrong. They'd end up sticking primer-up out of the ejection port. Other than that I haven't had any malfunctions with about 750 rounds downrange, and that only happened in the first 10 or so mag fills. It might have something to do with me detail stripping it, though. The only reason I did that was because I was having a hell of a time field stripping it and I came to find out that it was just packed with grease from the factory, so much so that I actually had to pry on the take-down lever to field strip it.

The biggest problems seem to be 1) getting spare mags and 2) sights, due to it having an aluminum slide.

(Lancaster County)

I have one, and although I do like it very much, it has had a number of problems. As XavierBK stated, mine cam packed in grease and took a long time to get it all out. (I'm still not sure I have gotten it all) My pistol has been plagued with ejection problems. I have run a number of different types of ammunition through it, yet nothing seems to satisfy. I have not yet tried CCI so I am hoping that when ever I do find some , it will help with the ejection issues. It seems that the standard velocity ammunition does not have enough power to cycle the slide back far enough. The gun will eject the spent shell, but does not go back far enough to catch the rim of the next round.

The other problem I had was that the gun was very inaccurate right out of the box. Then I noticed that the factory had failed to tighten down the Allen screw on the rear sight. Every time I would shoot the sight would move! It is tough to be accurate when that happens!

(Northampton County)

Mine has been flawless so far ... With some Dawson sights (which I have on order) it will mirror my IDPA gun perfectly

(Delaware County)

I shot one at the club last fall. Accuracy was ok. Obviously these aren't target guns, so I wouldn't expect tiny tiny groups at 25yds.
    He also tried numerous brands of ammo and evidentally his only likes CCI mini mags. Nothing standard velocity seems to work very well in these guns. This seems to be a common theme with polymer 22s. from my experience talking to owners of these types of guns.
    The Sig Mosquito is another that is finicky about ammo. I think Sig actually recommends shooting nothing but HiVel ammo.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Bucks County)

The other problem I had was that the gun was very inaccurate right out of the box. Then I noticed that the factory had failed to tighten down the Allen screw on the rear sight. Every time I would shoot the sight would move! It is tough to be accurate when that happens! [/QUOTE]

I got mine last year and i noticed the same thing with mine to,i had to tighten the rear sight.
    My was packed with grease and spent a hour cleaning it up but i didn't mind i put on some music and smoke a cigar and it help me get to know the pistol.

The first 1,000 rounds i put CCI through it with very little FTE and i found it accurate up to 15 yards. After the first 1,000 rounds i started using Federal(cheaper !) and it ran fine with very little FTE. .22lr are finicky buggers but CCI,Federal and Blazer seen to work very well. I guess i'm lucky because i heard from other M & P 22 owners they are having some FTE a lot. Not sure if its because they didn't clean it well or the mag springs are tight and need to break in. I do love shooting it but finding ammo has cut me back from shooting.

Mine has been great from start except for aforementioned accuracy out of the box. I had to adjust rear sights and it was good to go from that point on.

I've shot mine in following and had 0 fte issues. Had 2 ftf because of ammo.

300 CCI mini mag
    100 CCI standard
    550 WWB bulk (2 FTF)
    525 Federal Bulk

I did notice after first range session that slide was slightly "sticky". After investigating, found that there was small area under the left side of the slide (side w/o ball bearing on the frame) that was catching slightly. I've lightly filed and polished the area, and it's been smooth as silk from that point on. I usually put drop of oil right on that part when cleaning after each session.

I would suggest "breaking in" the gun (slide) with CCI mini mag for first few hundred rounds before going to cheaper bulk route. As for accuracy, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

(Lancaster County)

Mine has run perfect out of the box. I've run about 1K through it total and I've only cleaned it once......

(Allegheny County)

mine runs great, shoots great, is accurate as hell, and has never given me problems (except when i tried shooting the new CCI Quiet ammo, but it is underpowered stuff).

(Armstrong County)

Delete...I misunderstood.
    Last edited by Odonnks; March 28th, 2013 at 11:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast