Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Since when did Walmart start asking for DL for ammo?

I was at Walmart last night getting some ammo. I got some buckshot and 30.06 and proceeded to checkout. She said "can I see ID"? I said "why"? She said "we are required to check ID for every person". At that point, I turned it into a casual conversation like saying "wow, this is nuts wouldn't you agree"?
    She proceeded to say that they're cracking down on Non citizens, under age, out of state, etc. She said "I don't want to get into trouble because we've had some agents test if we are checking".
    Well, I had to delve deeper into this statement. I asked, what if they don't have a DL. She said "they don't get ammo....I'm not going to lose my job"!

I was like "okay, I don't blame you...here is my license...but you're not gonna' scan it, right"? She smiled and looked at it rather quickly and handed it right back.

Anyone else experience this?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

Default Re: Since when did Walmart start asking for DL for ammo?

Quote Originally Posted by mikelets456 View Post
    I was at Walmart last night getting some ammo. I got some buckshot and 30.06 and proceeded to checkout. She said "can I see ID"? I said "why"? She said "we are required to check ID for every person". At that point, I turned it into a casual conversation like saying "wow, this is nuts wouldn't you agree"?
    She proceeded to say that they're cracking down on Non citizens, under age, out of state, etc. She said "I don't want to get into trouble because we've had some agents test if we are checking".
    Well, I had to delve deeper into this statement. I asked, what if they don't have a DL. She said "they don't get ammo....I'm not going to lose my job"!

I was like "okay, I don't blame you...here is my license...but you're not gonna' scan it, right"? She smiled and looked at it rather quickly and handed it right back.

It's hit or miss at the Wal Marts I've been to. It seems to be just basic age verification.

I have, and was told they check to make sure you're a PA resident.
    Last edited by AlphaChase; March 27th, 2013 at 01:18 PM.

(Beaver County)

That happened to my gf and I once at the Walmart in Monaca. I think it is simply age verification.

(Bucks County)

I'm close enough to jersey they do it for that reason.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post
    That happened to my gf and I once at the Walmart in Monaca. I think it is simply age verification.
    Believe me...I may look good for my age but it's pretty obvious I'm older than 18 and well over 21...

I guess it's like buying cigarettes...they'll ask 90 year old customer for their I.D.

Wait...I thought that was racist?
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." Thomas Jefferson

This is a topic that comes up every couple of months on here. For me it's always been hit or miss. If they ask I give it to them. I'm not going to get upset at a clerk for doing their job.

(Allegheny County)

As the years go by I seem to be getting carded for beer, ammo, etc less and less.

So long as they are not scanning your card I would say it's OK.

If there is a significant increase its probably because a manager caught someone not asking for ID for someone who looked to be underage and they are cracking down.

When I worked at a grocery store that would always happen with cigarettes. Someone would get lazy or let their friends buy them and we would all suffer the wrath of the manager.

This was before cigarettes had to be moved behind the counter.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Delaware County)

I'm in my 50s and I still get asked for ID. Damn I look good for my age.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(Bucks County)

Hey were you the guy with glasses i saw there around 8:30 getting ammo that they actually had in stock in your caliber ? If it was i was the guy in the black jacket asking were you shoot. They must have just started doing that because two weeks ago i scored some .22lr ammo and they did not ask me for my drivers license.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast