Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Heidelberg Sportsman’s Association Multi Gun Shoot

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK 357 View Post
    *RELOADERS BEWARE*
    If you plan to keep your own brass you better pick it up before it cools down or have a friend follow you with a fishing net. There is one guy that shoots there that is a real douche bag. He will litterally pick up your brass before your run is over. The best you can hope for is he is not on your squad. Before the day is over though he or his young son will visit your squad and pick up your brass. I expressed my concern and displeasure with a fellow shooter that is a club member and I would describe him as a second tier person at these shoots. This guy told me that he personally hates him and talked to the club officers in charge and no one has a backbone to do anything about this guy. He also said that he always dicks around and is never ready to shoot he shows up late to enter and he is just a real pain in the ass to have on your squad. He also stated the worst part of it is this guy re-sells the brass. This guy also jokingly told me that the club members draw staws each shoot to see whos squad this guy get put on. I also have talked with other shooters that I have met over the past two years that have stopped coming to the shoot because of this one individual. One fellow shooter told me of a time when this guys young son litterally was try to take the brass out of his hand. ITS A REAL SHAME THAT NO ONE WILL ADDRESS THIS GUY!
    Sorry for being long winded but I just had a real bad run in with this guy last fall and have trouble coming back. All in all its a great shoot only cost $10 and the church ladys $5 hot lunch cant be beat.
    I know who you are talking about as well...he's a real smart ass on top of it, always making snide comments about just about anything or anyone...I've seen/heard it first hand....he's pretty mean to his kid at times as well. He has also run his mouth during the Pledge of Allegience....which is totally disrespectful in anyone's book.

My girlfriend goes along as well (but doesn't shoot) to hang out and to help tape the targets...she can't stand him...and she gets along with just about anyone.

(Lancaster County)

Hey Glock 357 I hear ya brother you are definitely preaching to the choir on this one. it is bullshit every time I see his ad i know some of it is my brass it pisses me off.you would think just mathematically speaking tell one guy to stay home and upset him or ruin the day of a dozen or more shooters should be an easy choice .one thing i can promise is my wife or I will never shoot with him again last month he and I got in a verbal argument over the fact he didn't like the way she shot a stage (it wasn't a safety issue) and he couldn't keep his stupid fucking mouth shut.
    Quadzilla you make your girl friend come along and don't let her shoot what's up with that?I never know he was disrespectful during the pledge thats not cool at all. especially at a shoot where there are men present who bled on foreign battle fields for that flag and for us to have a country where we can still get together to shoot.the guy is just a world class dick! on a different note if you talk to Jay tell him he better bring his .308 this time

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GLOCK 357 View Post
    awfroadan: With all do respect that's no solution! Maybe you didn't read my post carefully . It's not fellow shooters it's one guy ! i've seen him take brass out from under people and watched ROs tell him over and over to clear the range, stop picking brass... *The loss of brass wasn't my concern* it's the loss of shooters and lack of concern of those with power to address this guy was my reason for my post.It's the over all distraction and loss of enjoyment at the shoot the pisses me off.The fact other shooters posted here and knew who I was talking about proves my point.I consider myself a serious reloader and never picked a piece of brass at a organized shoot in my life.I always thought brass was left for ROs and staff as a thank you for their time and work.
    GLOCK 357 with all due repect to you, I don't think you clearly read my post either. What I was saying is if you have a problem with any other shooter and you do not feel comfortable confronting them about said problem then you need to let the RO of your squad know. If they do not take care of it you need to find another RO or someone else in charge and let them know about this situation. I am not in any type of leadership role at the club but I RO when I can make it to the shoots. If you would approach me with this problem I would have done my best to handle the situation. I understand how the actions of one person could lead to a bad experience shooting but if we're all adults about the situation it can be handled properly. An open negative post warning others of one shooter that you (and others) have a problem with was probably a good way to force a change or possible solution to your problem but casts a whole negative light on this shoot which for the most part I think you'll agree is a fun shoot. This one person you described might have stopped some people from coming to the shoot, but your post could have just done the exact same thing to someone who wasn't sure if they wanted to try it out or not. I hope Tom and the other people who run the shoot can address your concerns to your satisfaction. Be safe shooting and I hope to see you continue your participation in the shoots.

(Montgomery County)

"tell one guy to stay home and upset him or ruin the day of a dozen or more shooters should be an easy choice" / "at shoot where there are men present who bled on foreign battle fields for that flag and for us to have a country where we can still get together to shoot." well said MEK 1911

It's not that I "don't feel comfortable confronting him" I have and I did talk with people at the very top with no real sense of concern or action and judging from the other posts from fellow shooters I'm not alone.You say "if we're all adults the situation it can be handled properly" implying I'm not an adult in my actions ? or I was improper with my post, maybe you can explain why I received a PM for a top tier club member basically thanking me for my post.you criticize my post (which wasn't all negative ) but for years now no one would address this issue I tried all other avenues i could with no change it was time to take the bull by the horns and going off of the PMs i received I did right! If I did turn any possible shooters away for that I'm sorry but I'm sure that number is dwarfed by the number of actually shooters that stopped coming because of this guy. *AND NO THIS WASN'T JUST MY PROBLEM*with all do respect to you awfroadan

To all possible new shooters come on out it's a great shoot with lot's of great fellow shooters who will do almost any thing to help you out .Maybe just take rockstrongo's advice

(Lebanon County)

Is this open to spectators also? I have no ambition to participate, but I would like to watch, and the added drama may make it interesting.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Lancaster County)

Yes it is just bring eye and ear protection. have any questions while there just ask pretty much any one, Tom is the head guy and is great guy to talk with. The range is laid out nice for watching and moving from stage to stage and there won't be any drama we are all big boys and girls

(Berks County)

I only shoot H-berg one or two times a year and know the dickhead you're talking about. The best way to address the issue is to have the MD say that NO brass at all shall be picked up until after clean up. This is what goes on at all the "big boy matches". If you are caught picking brass during the match. it's a match DQ. AND..... if you shoot STEEL case ammo DO NOT PICK UP ANY BRASS.

H-berg needs to start putting the hammer down on unsafe shooters and brass pickers. I'm tired of reading this is a great place to get your feet wet in 3gun. Every month they get 50-70 shooters. It's time to start laying down the law on saftey issues and brass bandits.

(Berks County)

Ok I finally decided its time to reply. The majority of the people involved are great people to accompany at the range. Everyone there needs to help out to make things run smoothly. This includes setting steel and clays, taping targets. There are times when we all get caught up with talking to our buddies that we forget that help is needed. I am guilty of this as well.

I am not a big fan of having all the brass/steel casings laying around where everyone is moving while transitioning from target to target or firearm to firearm. The last thing I would want to see is a person slipping or even falling because he stepped on something round under his feet. Generally speaking most times there is someone willing to help you pick up your brass, wether its the next shooter or the last shooter. Probably about 50% of those who are here are reloaders and would like there brass back, several shooters here mark there brass in one way or another. I personally use a thick red line, I have saw solid green, purple, black line, solid black. I don't expect to get every piece of brass back and I'm sure most of us understand that we are going to loose some no matter what. As far as the issue being addressed I personally was planning on asking Tom to bring it up at safety briefing or was going to do so myself. It just so happens to be the squad I was in had the person who everyone is talking about in it. He had a issue when one of the older gentleman was helping him pick up his brass telling him "that's like gold and its mine" calmly he told him to clear his firearms I'm picking it up for you. The way it was said I'm not sure I would have handles it that way or if I would have gave it a good toss and said its over there now, I was picking it up for you.

I think safety is and should be top priority and I feel the club and RO's do a great job at it while being fair. I have read posts from other clubs near and far that the RO's sent a guy home for simple issues where a new shooter didn't understand the procedure fully. I feel that we all are in this together and sending a guy home for not understanding procedure is not acceptable and a huge turn off for any new shooter. A safety issue should be addressed accordingly not only by an RO but by anyone who see it happen. We do get several new shooters and I think that's great to see. I'm not sure if any other club who holds a shoot like this is willing to help a new shooter as this club is.

Let's face it not one of us is perfect and we definitely do not live in a perfect world. So let's all make the best of what we have to work with. Let's all come out on Saturday and have a great time shooting. As of now there is no snow or rain in the forecast so it should be a great day for shooting.

Shane

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by MEK1911 View Post
    Quadzilla you make your girl friend come along and don't let her shoot what's up with that?
    LOL...she loves to shoot (lucky me....nothing like my ex-wife...lol), but she doesn't like people watching her. I keep trying to convince her that this isn't a "competition" but more of a "practical-tactical" shoot....it's a good (great) dynamic shooting experience as opposed to standing in one place at the range and pulling the trigger...but still, she enjoys hanging out...and she always helps with the target resetting.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tripleS View Post
    I am not a big fan of having all the brass/steel casings laying around where everyone is moving while transitioning from target to target or firearm to firearm. The last thing I would want to see is a person slipping or even falling because he stepped on something round under his feet.
    This ^^^^^^^^

Round brass under feet is annoying at best and dangerous at worst....I really do fear falling while running with a loaded firearm....yes, trigger discipline is needed, but honestly how many of us have forgotten while on the move? Shotgun hulls are the worst....

Perhaps we should bring leaf rakes for each stage? Maybe a quick rake job while resetting/taping targets would do the trick??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast