Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad purchase

Default Bad purchase

A few months ago I bought a Mossberg 715T 22lr with carry handle. My reasoning was that I would never find an AR in stock or they would unfortunately be banned.

A couple of weeks ago I got extremely lucky and found a Windham Weaponry AR15 SRC at walmart while trying to find ammo. Long story short, I waited 3 hours to buy it (walmart employees trying to buy it).

Now, I'm trying to figure out if the Mossberg 715t is worth keeping since it is a 22lr and shoots cheap. The issue is, though, "when it decides to shoot". It's constantly stovepiping after a couple of mags. Found issue to be too much carbon build up from 22s.

I was thinking of getting rid of the Mossberg and hopefully try to find another Windham AR or, if not, try to find some ammo.

Right now all I have is 100 rounds of 223, but I do have almost 5k rounds of 22lr. Haven't used the AR yet because cannot find ammo or the prices are so high I won't even consider it.

If I sell the Mossberg, I have a Walther P22 I can use the 22lr with.

Suggestions?
    Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: Bad purchase

After learning the 715 is just a re-cased 702 I'd be inclined to get rid of it.

If you're interested in a cheap to shoot .22LR AR check out the S&W M&P 15-22 as it actually breaks down like a real AR. Or you could look for a dedicated .22LR upper, though I have heard they can be finicky.

(Berks County)

Have you tried different brands and types of .22? Semi auto .22's can be picky on what brand and type of ammo that they will feed reliably.

I had no idea about the Mossberg. It was the only one in stock anywhere so I jumped on it. Last one also lol.

I have Remington Thunderbolt, Yellow Jacket, Golden Bullet, CCI Minimags, Federal Bulk and Aguila Supermax.

They all worked, but after a while and a few mag reloads the thing got so muddy it would jam.

Whats the best way to get rid of this besides taking a grinder to it out of frustration and lost money? Maybe I should try that FrogLube to see if it helps with carbon build up?

(Bucks County)

Just,clean it after every session. You could also be putting too much loob in it that will gum up the works faster.
    "The chair is against the wall, John has a long mustasche"

I'm OTO that if you don't need the money, hold on to it. A good .22 rifle is a handy thing to have around these days. The previous poster says to clean it after each session and don't over lube it. I believe it is good advice, and may even warrant a quickie clean during your shooting session until you get some time on it. My 10/22 finally started working good with all ammos after about 1000 hand cycles and I don't know how many mags of ammo. it was a pain. A couple people here said to stick it out and it paid off.

I'd keep it, keep it clean and lightly lubed 'till it loosens some, and be GTG, unless of course, you need the money more than the gun.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Doomtrooper View Post
    Just,clean it after every session. You could also be putting too much loob in it that will gum up the works faster.
    I tend to agree. I think my semi .22 is the NewHaven 251C if I remember correctly. (been a while since I looked at it). When i first got it from a friend as a teen, not knowing i cleaned and lubed it and of course it FTE on every round. Wiped it completely with dry patches, inside and out, and it was fine. 16 rounds in a row

Good points. One problem.

The 715 is an all polymer shell and held by a dozen screws. I would like to swap it for something easier and quicker on take down.

On a SHTF scenario it would break someone. On a range trip it would waste time and a couple of lost screws.

I clean my pistols after every use when I get home. Not during range time. Some I can probably clean at the range like my Taurus 709 Slim. Take down is like a Glock and cleaned quickly. This thing is hell lol.

Am I right or just being too harsh on a cheap polymer rifle.

(Chester County)

That's why I suggested if you like the idea of an AR chambered in .22LR to try the S&W M&P 15-22. It isn't just a plastic shell, it has an actual upper and lower that break apart just like an AR-15 variant.

Just the fact that you have two pieces of a plastic shell that is held together with screws would make me want to get rid of it. Over time I can easily see things getting stripped or lost and then what?

(Berks County)

You need to get that joker broken in And don't overlube.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast