Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Philadelphia mayor challenges state by signing 5 gun control laws

http://www.examiner.com/a-1333802~Ph...trol_laws.html

Philadelphia mayor challenges state by signing 5 gun control laws

Filed under: PHILADELPHIA , Philadelphia Gun Laws

PHILADELPHIA (Map, News) - Mayor Michael Nutter signed five new gun-control laws that defy the state Legislature and legal precedent, comparing the action to the stand early colonists took against the British monarchy.

"Almost 232 years ago, a group of concerned Americans took matters in their own hands and did what they needed to do by declaring that the time had come for a change," Nutter said Thursday. "We are going to make ourselves independent of the violence that's been taking place in this city for far too long."

Among other restrictions, the bills would limit handgun purchases to one a month; require lost or stolen firearms to be reported to police within 24 hours; and outlaw the possession and sale of certain assault weapons.

Nutter signed the legislation in front of a table of confiscated weapons outside the police evidence room in City Hall. He noted the city's 74 homicides so far this year - 56 committed with handguns - and 1,734 people injured by guns last year.

The bills had passed City Council unanimously earlier in the day, despite the fact that a 1974 court ruling gives the state the sole right to enact gun laws.

Nutter said he would begin to enforce the laws immediately, except for the one-gun-a-month requirement, which takes effect in six months.

Kim Stolfer, vice chairman of the Pennsylvania Sportsmen's Association's legislative committee, suggested that the enactment of the laws was a criminal act.

"He's committing five misdemeanor crimes," Stolfer said. "What kind of message is he sending when he and City Council are willing to commit crimes for issues that are not going to work?"

National Rifle Association spokesman John Hohenwarter said he expected the organization to sue "within a short time frame."

In a 2005 nonbinding referendum, Philadelphia voters, by a 4-1 ratio, demanded that the state allow the city to pass its own gun laws.

Council members Darrell L. Clarke and Donna Reed Miller sponsored a set of gun-control measures bills last year, then sued the Legislature to allow them to move forward. That case is pending.

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Philadelphia mayor challenges state by signing 5 gun control laws

I will simply ignore these "laws", but I have to admit I'm concerned about what happens if I'm pulled over for a traffic violation while transporting my AR15 to the range or carrying my G17 with 17rd mags.

Sure, I'll probably win in court and get off, but not until after I've already lost my job and depleted my savings account paying for a lawyer.

(Allegheny County)

It sounds to me like the PA State Police need to arrest him.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post
    I will simply ignore these "laws", but I have to admit I'm concerned about what happens if I'm pulled over for a traffic violation while transporting my AR15 to the range or carrying my G17 with 17rd mags.

Sure, I'll probably win in court and get off, but not until after I've already lost my job and depleted my savings account paying for a lawyer.
    Why would you be pulled over in the first place? Dont give them a reason and youll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    "Almost 232 years ago, a group of concerned Americans took matters in their own hands and did what they needed to do by declaring that the time had come for a change," Nutter said Thursday.
    Yeah, they found a short rope & a tall tree.

(Northumberland County)

I cant beleive this asshat is comparing himself to the founding fathers/mothers.

He really thinks highly of himself.

And for the record, they really werent americans until AFTER they signed their declaration of independence. They were considered English people living on another continent. If he is comparing himself to the authors of the constitution, he is a bigger idiot than I could have imagined.
    Idiot.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

Default DA Lynne Abraham says the city's newly enacted gun control laws are unenforceable.

DA Lynn Abraham says she won't enforce them, as a defendant will very likely prevail against them.

http://www.kyw1060.com/City-s-New-Gu...la--DA/2006537

by KYW's Tony Hanson and Mike Dunn Philadelphia DA Lynne Abraham says the city's newly enacted gun control laws are unenforceable.
    At a hearing on Tuesday before City Council, Abraham (above) said that in her opinion the laws passed last week (see related stories) are illegal and will be challenged as soon as the first person is charged under the new statutes.

And, she added, she thinks any defendant bringing a court challenge to the new laws would be successful.
    The new laws include a requirement to report lost or stolen guns, and a one-per-person-per month limit on gun purchases.
    Abraham agrees with state lawmakers that state law pre-empts the city in such matters and prevents any city in Pennsylvania from passing any such laws on its own.
    When asked point-blank by a city councilmember if her office would enforce the new city gun control laws, she replied, "Nope."

In reaction, Mayor Nutter (right) said he hopes to discuss the DA's position further with her, and he hopes that his law department can convince Abraham that the laws are defensible:

"Much more conversation (with the DA) needs to take place about this. I think that these are legitimate pieces of legislation."
    And Nutter also hopes to convince Abraham that the legislation is needed:

"Clearly we need this kind of help and support, and I'm hopeful that the DA will be a partner with us."
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Monroe County)

Does anyone know the number of armed crimes involving a handgun or longun last year that were performed using a gun that was Legally purchased and owned by the person committing the act?

(Allegheny County)

Not to take away from the BS that is happening in Philly, because it's happening for REAL, but this is EXACTLY what Rudy Giuliani supported over and over again when he told America how much he supports "the right to bear arms", BUT he would allow cities to make their own "gun laws".

This could have happened on a grand scale if... nevermind, no point talking about the "what ifs", what matters it what's HAPPENING, right NOW.

Man, this burns me up.

These people truly believe they are better than you. That you are the problem, and they are the solution.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by TravisBickle View Post

Then you can sue the City and the boneheaded mayor for damages.

Just for the record I plan on bringing my 18 round 9mm EAA Witness with me when I go pick up realatives from the airport in Philly. I'm not breaking any law. If anything I'd get rich from a slam dunk lawsuit.
    Last edited by Pro2A; April 15th, 2008 at 01:40 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast