Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Tying a d loop on a bow

Hey guys not exactly sure where to put this thread so figured this was the best spot. I'm starting to get more into archery and am hoping to hunt deer with my compound next season. I've only hunted with firearms up to this point. Of course I want to get good at shooting for obvious reasons so am practicing much more often which brings me to my question. I need a new d loop for my bow. Is this something I can easily tie and replace myself with learning how to do it or should I take it to a store to get done? Any info helps. Thanks guys!

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Tying a d loop on a bow

I always let the shop tie mine but I've been using the guy for 15 years and spend a few grand there so he doesn't charge me for stupid shit. With that being said, if you're going to do it yourself make sure you do it right and melt the ends so they can't slip out. The first time you're pulling back 70lbs and it comes loose you'll know why. You'll also start making a conscience effort to draw your bow away from your face.

(Lehigh County)

Tying a D-Loop is not difficult. Learn to do it yourself then you have control over positioning, length, direction of the knots, etc...

The biggest thing is get good cord for the loop. The camo stuff most archery shops use is crap. It stretches way too much and is about 1/3 thicker than I like.

This is the best stuff I have found to date: Zenith Archery Release Rope.
    The 1.8mm stuff is fairly thin but strong and has very little stretch. I have several bows that have been shot literally thousands of times and after several years the loops are still holding tight and of the original length (no stretch). A 6 foot section should last you many years.

For instructions on tying see here: Tying on a D-Loop and String Nock

I also don't ever use the brass nocks. They are a heavier than a string nock and thus slow your bow down. They also can fly off. If they hit the riser, you may very well have it flying back in your direction.

(Crawford County)

Or learn the finger tip draw method. Tears up your fingers in the beginning, after some practice I find I'm way more accurate using finger release than I was using a release aid.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"