Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Looking for a junk yard

I'm looking for a junk yard to pull parts for my car. I live near Chambersburg, PA, but venture to Gettysburg and Harrisburg regularly. I've never been to a pick-n-pull before, so pointers on how to go about it would be great.

(Crawford County)

Default Re: Looking for a junk yard

Quote Originally Posted by WillD View Post
    I'm looking for a junk yard to pull parts for my car. I live near Chambersburg, PA, but venture to Gettysburg and Harrisburg regularly. I've never been to a pick-n-pull before, so pointers on how to go about it would be great.
    Grab your phonebook and start calling anybody listed under "used car parts" and "auto salvage yards". But a word of warning, be careful. Alot of places are no longer allowing outsiders in to 'pick and pull' due to insurance issues. My favorite 'pick and pull' is no longer letting me in to pull my own parts unless I sign a waiver exempting them from any damages if I should hurt myself, and a few others are simply refusing access to the yard.

It hasn't been that much of an issue for me, in reality. I don't get charged any more for having the onsite staff pull the part for me. And for the one place that has the waiver, I sign without complaint. Being able to pull my own parts is just more convenient for me.
    "When I hit it, I expect it to fall the hell down and die!"

(Lancaster County)

There's a yard on Route 72, north of the Ren Faire. I don't know if they allow you to pull parts or not. There used to be at least 3 other yards in Lancaster, but they've all been shutdown as far as I know.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    There's a yard on Route 72, north of the Ren Faire. I don't know if they allow you to pull parts or not. There used to be at least 3 other yards in Lancaster, but they've all been shutdown as far as I know.
    That one is J&D Auto - they do allow you to pull your own parts BUT most times they pull it for you depending on what it is.

Hutch's on Blue Ridge Ave (just outside Linglestown) - $1.00 to get in and pull it yourself. 717-657-0531

Farnsworth (fredrickburg, PA) - 717-933-8118

These are the three I use the most and they are the fairest in the area.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by brianinpa View Post
    That one is J&D Auto - they do allow you to pull your own parts BUT most times they pull it for you depending on what it is.
    Do they care if you're not looking for anything in particular and just let someone wander through? I used to do that with Angellini and Groff's here in Lancaster, but they've been gone for a while. Sometimes ya never know what you're looking for until you see it.

(Lebanon County)

They want you to have a purpose to go out into the yard. Long gone are the days that you could spend 1/2 a day wandering and seeing what was there.

That is what I like about Hutch's - pay a buck and you can kill a day and crawl over every car in the lot and buy nothing at all.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Lancaster County)

I'll never forget laying underneath a Chevette that was resting on another car in February pulling an entire steering rack off because a friend ran over a snow pole and bitched the entire rack up.

(Franklin County)

Newcommers (sp) in Waynesboro, PA

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I'll never forget laying underneath a Chevette that was resting on another car in February pulling an entire steering rack off because a friend ran over a snow pole and bitched the entire rack up.
    The older I get, the less I do that. I bust the wallet out a lot quicker these days unless it is something for the bike... then I do it myself.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by brianinpa View Post
    The older I get, the less I do that. I bust the wallet out a lot quicker these days unless it is something for the bike... then I do it myself.
    When was the last time you saw a Chevette on the road? I don't think I'd do it anymore either. After seeing how the steering rack was attached in those cars, I swore I'd never ride in one again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast