Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Beaver County)

Default Beaver County Sheriff Arrested

http://beavercountian.com/content/op...george-j-david

Editorial: Presenting Sheriff George J. David

By John Paul - Founder of BeaverCountian.com

Published on March 25, 2013 at 11:15 am

Note: Beaver County Sheriff George David has just been arrested by the Pennsylvania State Police, and was led from the courthouse in handcuffs.

“Sometimes people think we’re Superman, that we can put on a red cape and just fly in and make everything ok,” I remember Pennsylvania State Police Trooper Joseph Olayer saying to me. “You need to know that we’re not, but we’ll still try. We’ll do our best.”

Not long before I had been in the basement of the courthouse, terrified as the elected Sheriff of Beaver County pulled out his service weapon and began threatening murder. Two of his deputies were there with him, but they would later deny the events that unfolded. It would be my word against three men who were now hiding behind their badges. I have never felt more helpless.

It has been almost a year since that night.

We as a society rightfully praise as heroes the officer who runs into a school under siege by an active shooter. But while heroism is regularly celebrated, something just as important is often left unrecognized… dedication.

Over the past year I have seen that dedication in Corporal Joseph Olayer and his partner Corporal Daniel Mosura. Day after day, week after week, month after month, they have been working tirelessly to reveal the truth of what happened to me that afternoon, and of what has happened to so many others.

It is because of their efforts, I will be one of the last that George J. David has terrorized. Small town politics and cronies with big time influence had blanketed his misdeeds from view for far too long. It makes me physically ill when I think of how many he has hurt over his 40 year career, abusing both power and persons to achieve his own self-interests.

I am thankful for Corporals Olayer and Mosura, and we should all be thankful for the dedicated men and women like them — strangers who step in front of us when danger arises, who encourage us to follow behind until our journey becomes safe once again.

- JP

photo George D. David at swearing in ceremony / Beaver Countian file photo

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/...eorge-d/nW3p4/

State police arrest Beaver County Sheriff George David on 11 charges

1 7 1 51

Related

View Larger

Photo courtesy of TribLIVE

Beaver County Sheriff George David

Sponsored Links

Get a low 2.99% APR* Fixed Rate Home Refi Loan

Support Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh

BEAVER COUNTY, Pa. —

State police arrested Beaver County Sheriff George David on Monday on 11 misdemeanor charges including terroristic threats, simple assault, official oppression and intimidation of witnesses.

David, 65, of Hopewell, was under investigation by a state grand jury for several months.

According to Attorney General Kathleen G. Kane, a grand jury was told that David threatened a campaign volunteer saying he would, "cut [the man's] hands off and eat them."

Kane said David also threatened a newspaper reporter in front of witnesses, waved a gun at him and said he would, "blow [his] brains out."

The Grand Jury was told that David threatened a campaign volunteer, saying he would “cut (the man’s) hands off and eat them.” He also threatened a newspaper reporter in front of witnesses, waving a gun and saying he would “blow (his) brains out.”

“It’s not enough for law officers to simply abide by the law. They must also set a good example for others,” said Kane. “Sheriff David failed on both counts. He will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.”

Police said David is scheduled to be arraigned before District Judge Tim Finn Monday afternoon. Police took him from the Beaver County Courthouse to state police barracks in Brighton

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Beaver County Sheriff Arrested

So in light of this, I have 2 questions:

1. Does this affect the status of any permits issued by Sheriff David based on his charges?

and

2. Who is going to be signing permits in his stead until a new sheriff is appointed/elected? Or will people wanting permits have to go to other counties or wait until the new sheriff?

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by flyingjunkie View Post

1. Does this affect the status of any permits issued by Sheriff David based on his charges?

and

2. Who is going to be signing permits in his stead until a new sheriff is appointed/elected? Or will people wanting permits have to go to other counties or wait until the new sheriff?
    Very good questions. I just renewed my LTCF and my wife just her's about a month ago. I was hoping someone with some know would be able to let us know and I wasn't sure where else to put this story.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

That's a shame. He was a good 2A supporter. Hope he enjoys his time in the big house.

(Lebanon County)

Another fine example of a public official's head getting bigger than the hat he wears.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Beaver County)

Here are a few more questions I have as, though I'm more than certain this has happened before, I've never had the opportunity to follow it:

1. Who steps up into his place while these proceedings are taking place?

2. If he is found guilty and has to vacate his office, does the new sheriff get elected in a special election or is the new sheriff appointed until the next election?

(Wayne County)

Here are a few more questions I have as, though I'm more than certain this has happened before, I've never had the opportunity to follow it:

1. Who steps up into his place while these proceedings are taking place?

2. If he is found guilty and has to vacate his office, does the new sheriff get elected in a special election or is the new sheriff appointed until the next election?
    I would guess that there is no special election scheduled and that the chief duputy will step up as "acting sheriff" until the next regular election is held. I think that is how Wayne County handled the situation when the previous sheriff passed away mid-term.
    "Freedom is our most precious commodity and if we are not eternally vigilant, government will take it all away. Individual freedom demands individual responsibility."

(Beaver County)

Jay Alstadt is the Chief Deputy. He will assume all official duties until further notice. David was a good 2a sheriff, but failed miserably everywhere else.
    Proud to be a Longwall pig...

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    That's a shame. He was a good 2A supporter.
    That is probably the only reason Kane went after him. That said, anyone that would do what is alleged he has done should get hammered, but LEOs do similar things often and you never hear anything.

Be safe (and free from oppression).

Scott

(Jefferson County)

and

1. No

2. In the absence of the Sheriff, an "Undersheriff", or highest ranked deputy may temporarily fulfill the duties in the name of the Sheriff. Residents may NOT apply in other counties.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast