Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Stupid Hoarders!

Quote Originally Posted by mache62 View Post
    No. I think those people are ridiculous. The French Toast crowd are exactly who the media is hoping will react in order to validate their jobs!
    Dunno who or what you're talking about, except that it doesn't matter what the rest of us say or do. The media will spin it to their agenda. If we bought nothing, they'd say "See, no one would miss it."

The point of my post isn't how much ammo I think someone should have, it's more trying to understand the need of thousands of rounds hanging around for what??
    No, the point of your post is that you're pissed you can't have what you want. Sorta sucks for you.

I don't need that much ammo to feel secure. I think it's a little paranoid to feel like you might be invaded by an army....besides the fact that you couldn't possibly defend yourself against it!
    Apparently, you're wrong cuz by not keeping enough ammo around you suddenly don't have any.

Fortunately, its not up to you to determine how much ammo *I* need to feel supplied. I shoot 350 rounds minimum a week of mixed rifle, pistol, and shotgun ammo. 10,000 rounds is about a 6 month's supply. When you shoot that much, you buy that much, and you keep that much. Economics, and continuity of supply are simple principles.

The guy who buys two gallons of milk for his coffee hours before the hurricane is a hoarder. The guy who shoots 100 rounds of 22LR a month and buys 5,000 rounds is the hoarder.

Consider your current situation to be a lesson learned for the next shortage cycle . . . like when after failing to get bans they start enacting 50% taxes.

(Northampton County)

First of all I'd like to think of it more as common sense. Common sense tells me its stupid to run out for bread, eggs, and milk just because someone yells snow. .....The sky is falling little chicken. Unless we are living in Antartica, and even then I can't imagine they are stuck for weeks without french toast.

Secondly, I never said I didn't have any ammo, only that I was limited to a single box at the range. I have ammo for my personal defense, it's different than what I am shooting on the range during the week. If you are hoarding range ammo then you are part of the problem. It works hand in hand with the politicians to create a scare and drive the demand sky high in addition to making the prices inflated.

To that end you are just hurting all of us because if you think the price is ever going to fall again....well, I got a bridge for sale.
    Bring your common sense to the range and shoot it. I'll bring my ammo and shoot that. Ha ha.

First of all I'd like to think of it more as common sense. Common sense tells me its stupid to run out for bread, eggs, and milk just because someone yells snow. .....The sky is falling little chicken. Unless we are living in Antartica, and even then I can't imagine they are stuck for weeks without french toast.

Secondly, I never said I didn't have any ammo, only that I was limited to a single box at the range. I have ammo for my personal defense, it's different than what I am shooting on the range during the week. If you are hoarding range ammo then you are part of the problem. It works hand in hand with the politicians to create a scare and drive the demand sky high in addition to making the prices inflated.

To that end you are just hurting all of us because if you think the price is ever going to fall again....well, I got a bridge for sale.
    my ammo situation hasnt changed since before the rush. havent added much and havent shot much. have made some trades. certainly havent overcharged for anything. not sure how that makes me part of the problem.
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Montgomery County)

The answer is pretty simple: you have a nice paper weight vs folks that have ammo to actually shoot their guns. Notice no one that stocked up on ammo has complained about the availabilty or market price. Just remember this lesson for next time lol.

(York County)

Seriously....I don't understand this type of thinking. What's the point of having all that ammunition sitting around in your house??
    So I don't have to make posts like yours?

I'll give you one small exmaple how I prepared. Before the panic buying, I had my wife picking up a 550rd box of 22lr every week from walmart when she was there grocery shopping. Every week for several years, that adds up. Guess what? I have no need to buy ammo now with the inflated prices or with rationing.

(Lackawanna County)

I'm not mad but I do have ammo

(Montgomery County)

BTW in case you never heard it, "Buy cheap and stack it deep".

Quote Originally Posted by Steelblitz View Post
    So I don't have to make posts like yours?

I'll give you one small exmaple how I prepared. Before the panic buying, I had my wife picking up a 550rd box of 22lr every week from walmart when she was there grocery shopping. Every week for several years, that adds up. Guess what? I have no need to buy ammo now with the inflated prices or with rationing.
    You HOARDER! Sell me a brick for $75 so you can also be a GOUGER!
    Montani Semper Liberi

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by gummy jones View Post
    You HOARDER! Sell me a brick for $75 so you can also be a GOUGER!
    I'll give you a break, I'll sell you a brick for 73.99 and 10 bitcoins.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Butler County)

Until the political/media climate changes in ways that doesn't consistently attack, alienate, and blame those who enjoy the shooting sports for whatever reason, this isn't going to change.

Look at the '08 election. After that, supplies ran dry in a hurry because "Obama is coming for your guns" was the mantra. The current administration is obviously hostile to the 2nd Amendment, but I never believed that it was "coming for our guns" because the general population isn't really behind any massive gun grab scheme. Once the reality sets in, a majority of Americans are still against blatant attempts to violate individual rights and freedoms. That's why the important issues aren't the blatant "gun grabbing" threats (because even those proposing them know they won't pass) but the subtle long-game erosion of rights very slowly so no one notices.

So, after the ammo supplies came back and prices went down, most of us who had some disposable income for our hobby started stocking up. Not because we're all hoarding wackos who were worried about their guns being taken but because we like to shoot for fun and it was, at minimum, a minor annoyance to find reasonably priced ammo. Like so many others, I'd shoot a box at the range and buy two or three more to replace it. Took advantage of some bulk deals I came across as well. Now? Another panic run and I'm not paying $30, $40, $50+ for a box of range ammo if I can find it because I stocked up slowly over time. I can sit tight and save cash waiting for the supply to return.

Panic buying over a perceived scarcity threat is inevitable in any commodity good. Look at supermarkets before a big storm. Look at generator and plywood sales in the face of an oncoming hurricane. Look at gasoline in a blackout. When people's supply of X is threatened, people who haven't made a plan for X go buy all of X they can because of the uncertainty over the future supply of X.

We've seen it before with ammo, we'll see it again. Ammo prices will return from the stratosphere and the cycle will start again.

P.S. If you want a generator, now's the time to buy on Ebay, Craigslist, etc.
    Last edited by Argentum; March 24th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast