Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    (Jefferson County)

Default Re: Stupid Hoarders!

Quote Originally Posted by mache62 View Post
    No. I think those people are ridiculous. The French Toast crowd are exactly who the media is hoping will react in order to validate their jobs!

The point of my post isn't how much ammo I think someone should have, it's more trying to understand the need of thousands of rounds hanging around for what??

I don't need that much ammo to feel secure. I think it's a little paranoid to feel like you might be invaded by an army....besides the fact that you couldn't possibly defend yourself against it!
    It is your duty to have ** number of cartridges per firearm for militia service. Back when it was muzzleloaders the duty was to keep anywhere between 24 and 120 "cartridges" at ready. With modern firearms that are capable of shooting more cartridges in the same given amount of time, there would an expectation to keep more ammunition at hand.

Then, there are times like these when the grasshoppers are scrambling to find ammo because THEY bought it all out due to their inability to look forward enough to a crisis.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I think a good way to go is establish how much ammo you can afford to purchase along with what room you have to store it. I would say a good base line is around a 1000-2000 rounds of ammo and whatever you use, you try to replace and you constantly rotate out your oldest stock. If you want to buffer yourself further, 5000-10000 rounds of one caliber takes up a reasonable amount of room and depending on what you buy can be built up over time without too much duress for most.

A lot of people are like "you dummy, if you had 300,000 rounds like I do, you wouldn't have to worry, hahaha!". But a lot of us don't have the money or the space to pile it all up like some army depot and personally I like to travel light and not have all that overhead.

I also think if limited in space or money, one can cut down on the logistical issues by limiting yourself to 2 different calibers max in pistol, 2 in rifle and then a shotgun with associated shells. People end up with a bunch of guns in a bazillion different calibers and then if you can imagine like an armies logistical system you have to keep all those items fed.
    Well even though I have a long way to go I have put some thought into that. I have enough room in one closet to stack 12, 50 Caliber ammo cans and I can see that being more than plenty of ammo. More than that IMO would be ridiculous (Financially and space wise at least) plus it will probably take me several years to collect just that much ammo. I can see consolidating calibers but limiting calibers just gets boring. However I can see stocking up on staples like 22LR, 9mm, 45 ACP, 5.56/223, 7.62x39 and 12 Gauge but getting much lesser amounts for others.

I think 2,500 to 5,000 rounds for each caliber would be my goal. Maybe only 500-1000 rounds for arms I wouldn't use as much. I would probably keep a lot less on hand for revolvers and bolt actions as they go through ammo at a much slower rate (500-1000 rounds IMO).
    Last edited by LifeInPa; April 12th, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

(Westmoreland County)

^^^

Yep, consolidated calibers a few years back but then went and bought another 9mm cuz they're cheaper to shoot. I may have to rethink that and eliminate that round from my calibers again, since I only have one that uses it.
    Last edited by SwampFoxZ71; April 10th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by mache62 View Post
    well, I got a bridge for sale.
    Didn't read the whole crybaby rant. BUT I am down to 17 bridges in my safe so let me know how much...

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFoxZ71 View Post
    ^^^

Yep, consolidated calibers a few years back but then went and bought another 9mm cuz they're cheaper to shoot. I may have to rethink that and eliminate that round from my calibers again, since I only have one that uses it.
    I like my 9mm but I also want to add 45 ACP, 357 Mag/38 Special, 7.62x25 Tokerav, and 9mm Makarov. Eventually I will probably add 10mm and 7.62x38 Nagant in small quantites as I want to get pistols in those calibers too, the Nagant would be more of a novelty so I probably would only keep 200 rounds on hand.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

There really are two issues here 1) maintaining a hobby at the previous level and 2) self defense/hunting needs

The first issue is where most of the complaints are coming from...not only is there rampant inflation but now complete shortages...you just can't afford to maintain your hobby anymore (if you can find anything at all)

The second issue I think has likely been amply prepared for by most folks over the years...it's a problem for newbies and it's also a problem for those who like to train a lot (like cops) but for most of us it's likely you have enough ammo to last a few years if not longer

There is a third issue that I'd rather not get into but the basic premise is you only need enough ammo to last until you do....when the swatties come for you and you decide to take them on your lifespan is about a clip if that

Quote Originally Posted by Single Six View Post
    There really are two issues here 1) maintaining a hobby at the previous level and 2) self defense/hunting needs

The first issue is where most of the complaints are coming from...not only is there rampant inflation but now complete shortages...you just can't afford to maintain your hobby anymore (if you can find anything at all)

The second issue I think has likely been amply prepared for by most folks over the years...it's a problem for newbies and it's also a problem for those who like to train a lot (like cops) but for most of us it's likely you have enough ammo to last a few years if not longer

There is a third issue that I'd rather not get into but the basic premise is you only need enough ammo to last until you do....when the swatties come for you and you decide to take them on your lifespan is about a clip if that
    Thank you.....after 13 pages, some of it just plain arrogant, I think you have summed it up quite nicely. I realize a lot of people live in places that are more wide open than where I live yet I still don't think an army is going to show up at my (or anyone else's) door demanding my guns and ammo.

The basis of my 'crybaby' rant was just that I didn't want to have to use any of my stored ammo for practice and I was irritated to be limited to a single box at the range. Of course as it turned out that was only a temporary issue as I'm allowed to shoot my normal 3 boxes.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    I like my 9mm but I also want to add 45 ACP, 357 Mag/38 Special, 7.62x25 Tokerav, and 9mm Makarov. Eventually I will probably add 10mm and 7.62x38 Nagant in small quantites as I want to get pistols in those calibers too, the Nagant would be more of a novelty so I probably would only keep 200 rounds on hand.
    I have one handgun I have maybe a box of ammo for and another I have maybe 150 rounds for. If I can't get ammo for them I don't really care, I just won't shoot them until I do. I just feel better having enough around to make them go bang if necessary. I only try to keep a good stock of about 6 calibers, with 3 being dominant - primary rifle, primary handgun/carbine, and .22 rimfire.

Yes, I have all the .22.

(Northampton County)

How many people think mache62 will be crying again next time there is an ammo shortage just like this time?

I don't think he's learned anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Yes, I have all the .22.
    Whoa, you scared me for a minute! I read that and dropped what I was doing to run out and check my hoard. For a second I thought you had found it and taken it home with you.

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast