Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default HELP! Charter Arms .38 SPL Undercover Serial 653XXX

So I just inherited a sweet sweet Winchester (I'm pretty sure it's a Model 94 45-70, still have some research to do on that) from, if it is a 94, 1898, as well as an older Charter Arms Undercover .38 spl. The trigger on the 38 was binding and would not always reset, as it had been sitting in a closet for about 20 years, with periodic cleaning but hadn't been fired since my grandad bought it decades ago.

Here's my issue. I did a full detail strip of the gun, removing the trigger and all, since it was binding and would not always reset. My problem is, being a novice gunsmith (I can field strip with the best of them, but still got my detail strip training wheels on), I can't seem to correctly seat the trigger spring so that it functions properly. The closest I've come is getting it function flawlessy minus there being any tension on the trigger to reset.

Again, I'm still working on gaining knowledge beyond a general field strip for cleaning, and any help is greatly appreciated. All I've been able to find online is parts schematics, but no step by steps or videos. Help a novice out !
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

Default Re: HELP! Charter Arms .38 SPL Undercover Serial 653XXX

This won't be perfect, but it may be close enough that you can figure it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6Tv27mTGB8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEToUNZViuk

I did the trigger on my Tracker 44 watching these vids. If I can do it, anyone can. Not what you're doing, but you get the drift.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Default Re: HELP! Charter Arms .38 SPL Undercover Serial 653XXX

If your Winchester lever gun is .45-70, chances are it's an model of 1886. One of the strogest lever actions Winchester built. Worth some serious money, if it's in good shape. The model 94 wan't made in that caliber as the action was not heavy enough. Much later (90's?) there was a Model 94 "Big Bore" chambered in .375 Winchester, but that was probably the most powerful cartridge chambered in a 94.

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member