Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus PT1911

Default Taurus PT1911

I have been hearing so many good things about the Taurus PT1911, so I decided to buy one today. The price was the cheapest that I have seen it at $449. It came with 2-8rd mags, ambi safety, Heinie sights. I will try to get to the range tomorrow with the pistol and a range report will follow. The one negative thing that I am reading is that the finish wears too quickly. I have noticed the that the finish isn't as nice as some other 1911's, but I'm not paying $1,000+ for the pistol. I will probably send it off to TrippResearch to have it hard chromed, once the finish really starts wearing on the pistol.

Here is a link to the pistol.

http://taurususa.com/products/produc...ategory=Pistol

BTW, I bought the pistol because GMG aka Grand Master Grizz wanted a range report. LOL
    Last edited by aubie515; December 30th, 2006 at 11:44 PM.

(Union County)

Default Re: Taurus PT1911

Been hearing good things about this pistol. Waiting for a range report. When you pick up the pistol give it a good cleaning and lube job and if is reliable over say 500 rounds without another cleaning.

grizz

(Bucks County)

So far I like mine too! Once mine wears I was thinking about a Moly coating. Think it would look much better in a dark color instead of Chrome.

(Allegheny County)

Aub, you know I'm axiously awaiting your report. At $449, you should have just gone ahead and got mine too!
    I made it to the range today and met up with a guy who was shooting some S&W 1911's. The guy swears by em. He let me shoot a couple. I really liked the Sc alot. I can't remember the mod # of the first one though. Shooting those didn't help my decision on the Taurus at all. Especially when he had nothing nice to say about them. Though, like you, I've heard nothing but good things. Plus I could use an ambidextrous safty being lefty and all. So let us know.

I must confess that I don't know much about 1911's...I owned a Kimber that I traded to my friend before I even shot the pistol. I just disassembled it for the very first time this afternoon. I didn't even have any instructions, so I suppose it's not as hard as I first imagined.

The gunshop owner is Randy Hollowbush, he is suppose to be some big time 1911guy. He had all sorts of good things to say about the PT1911. I was going to buy a Norinco or RIA and have Randy work on them, but he recommended going with the PT1911.

As far as moly, I have a bunch of the Norrell's OD moly resin left over. If I can take the entire pistol, I might consider using Norrell's. The current finish feels too smooth to use Norrell's, so I'd have to have the pistol sand blasted.

I like hard chrome because it is very durable and it's not as shiny. At least the hard chrome that Tripp Research does. I have one done on my Steyr slide and I like it a lot. I like it for cleaning the slide and I like something other than black.

(Allegheny County)

The only bad things I've heard about the Taurus 1911's have come from people who don't own them and have never shot them. I took my new SW 1911 to the range for the first time yesterday..there was a young man at the next shooting position with a Taurus...he had just turned 21 and this was his first gun purchase. He said he would have liked to get something a little higher up the scale but he figured it would be good for a start. He managed to find a used one (it looked as new) for $369!!!!!! We both put over 100 rounds through our guns with no stoppages or problems.....he was shooting groups almost as tight as mine (oh to have the eyesight I had at 21 again!) . Time will tell how well the Taurus 1911's hold up but they sure seem like a nice gun......
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Berks County)

Nice purchase Aub. I've seen lots of good reviews on this pistol, at least when put in the price/performance perspective.

Looking forward to your range report.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

Nice score Aub!! I have been pondering about one of those too....they sure have a juicy ad campaign, that no doubt helps. There's nothing priced even close to the Taurus for what you get.

Hey Bib, glad to hear you finally got a real 1911!!!! Better let us see it.

Which one is it. We wanna see to believe

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast