Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Ammo for an M1 Garand

The Garand Collectors Association is a great club. You get a whole lot for your membership. If you have an M1 from the CMP, shoot their ammo. If you have one of Springfield's modern versions of the M1, Springfield will tell you, as they have told me, to shoot only new Federal ammo, I think 150gr. If you shoot surplus ammo through a new version M1 and need to have Springfield service it, you will be in for a battle. Happy shooting...Mike45

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike45 View Post
    The Garand Collectors Association is a great club. You get a whole lot for your membership. If you have an M1 from the CMP, shoot their ammo. If you have one of Springfield's modern versions of the M1, Springfield will tell you, as they have told me, to shoot only new Federal ammo, I think 150gr. If you shoot surplus ammo through a new version M1 and need to have Springfield service it, you will be in for a battle. Happy shooting...Mike45
    Care to elaborate? I've never heard this one before. I've shot plenty of Mil-Surp (granted i tear down the ammo for inspection, then reassemble to M2-Ball specs) The only thing i've heard about ammo damaging the garand comes from using Powders that are outside the pressure curve for the gas system.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Bucks County)

Agent Ronin, I bought a brand new, made in 2003, M1 from a run of 10,000 made by SA for some reason or another. I called SA about what ammo would be best. They said the new commercial Federal ammo. I'cannot be sure if they said to use 150 gr. but they were specific and it has been a few years since then and I just plain old do not remember. They said not to use the surplus ammo from CMP and I assumed that was for warranty reasons.

As for the GCA, for $25 you get the quarterly magazine which is a treasure chest of information. They have a yearly convention which is held for members. A couple of years ago, it was held at the Springfield Armory National Historical Site. You will also become familiar with people who network parts, sales, and info for collectors and shooters. $25 well spent, and membership will qualify you for CMP purchases.

Hope that is enough elaborating to answer your questions, my fingers are tired...Mike45

(Centre County)

Cool, yea i guess Mil-Surp would be for warranty reasons now that i think about it. Well, especially trying to do a warranty claim after shooting corrosive ammo lol.

But anyways i have never shot a single round of Mil-Surp that i havent pulled the bullet and inspected the whole thing. Even with the large amount of KA73 ammo i have i've replaced the primers with new CCI #34's. But the powder and bullet we're all in excellent shape.

Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(York County)

Springfield, Inc. replaced a previous new-issue Garand for me that they were told had the same problem with all sorts of ammo, including Milsurp. I never received the advice that I should be using American Eagle exclusively --not even when I recieved the replacement rifle-- but I may have had a different representative, I don't know...

Best,

--Coop

(Bucks County)

I love Springfield's lifetime warrantee but not being to shoot Milsurp ammo seems wierd and almost morally wrong. Did they ever give a reason why? I'm guessing that the Milsurp shoots hotter and Springfield is no longer using USGI parts - could be maybe a Op Rod issue?

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I love Springfield's lifetime warrantee but not being to shoot Milsurp ammo seems wierd and almost morally wrong. Did they ever give a reason why? I'm guessing that the Milsurp shoots hotter and Springfield is no longer using USGI parts - could be maybe a Op Rod issue?
    springfield never used usgi parts on their m1. i think they may have used some beretta parts early on. in fact the receiver is cast not forged, like the real guns.
    milsurp m2 spec rds are littler than ''modren'' commerical loads.
    Last edited by brian; January 1st, 2007 at 08:42 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Centre County)

I still dont think that there is any reason why milsurp ammo can hurt a M1. Ok lets just humor the fact that new ones are not quite as rugged. But i cannot imagine that the reciever/bolt unit cant handle the rounds. The only weak link is the Op-Rod. And thats easily fixed by using an adjustable gas cylinder plug. Anyways thats a must if you ever plan on using heavier bullet weights for competition reasons.

(i have one installed and i found a nice port size that smoothed out the action but still feeds/ejects every time)

(Monroe County)

I know this is a necro post, but you guys have really peeked my interest here. I own a 1955 H&R Garand and I've hand loaded my own rounds... so... are you guys saying that I can't hand load anything heavier than the 150 grain? I've shot about 20 to 50 rounds through it already that were between 165 and 180 grain.

(Centre County)

Generally, 150-180 grain is the safe range for the M1's gas system.

The problems come from not the bullet weight, but from the difference in pressure exerted on the gas system. The M1 was designed around the .30 M2 Ball (150gn. ~2750fps using IMR-4895). This is the handload i duplicate for general plinking. As for heavier rounds, IMR-4064 will propel the 165-180gn range without overtaxing the gas system too much. Any type of powders outside of the range of those will probably cause damage over time.

On a side note, those who handload match ammo typically use 165gn bullets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast