Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    (Indiana County)

Default Re: Here comes the over priced LNIB ar15 flood.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Seriously. I don't hide the fact that I own ammo from people.
    Neither do I, that's why the question posed to me above by another poster is so strange.

Guys know me as the one that shows up for shooting sessions with "extra" ammo.
    I have a circle of friends and acquaintances that in case of a SHTF, we know who has what and where to go to pool resources.

I don't need to stockpile food, water, batteries, fuel and ammo.
    I keep some things on hand to get me and mine by for a time period that I have chosen, after that it's off to the circle.

I guess I'm the ammo guy.

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    You must be one of those jerks that bought all the ammo early while they were still at good prices before all the panic buying started and now sit back and laugh at others that didn't listen to the folks screaming from the rooftops, "Buy cheap and stack it deep". ARE YOU ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE!!??????
    That pretty much describes me to a "T."

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    That pretty much describes me to a "T."

Noah
    We need to gang up on ^this guy. I've heard rumors about his ammo stash.

But I'm not going in first, you take point

(Schuylkill County)

It's not just AR's, hell alot of people are going crazy selling used stuff. A few weeks ago savagemod11 and I were just driving around googling gun shops ( I was looking for a python) and there were people lined up to buy ammo in calibers they don't own, or intend to own, just so they could resell it on the internet. WTF?

(Chester County)

I assume Winchester, Remington, Hornady, etc. are already running 3 shifts a day x 7 days. Any insight from anyone regarding ammo production ramping up further to meet the demand? The suits in the corner office surely realize the 'wave' they need to catch, but what are they doing about it?
    Last edited by JAKIII; April 7th, 2013 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunowner99 View Post
    This is all contrary to what I am being told here and other places. I thought chrome was good, if not chrome lined then what? Are stainless barrels plentiful and what about plating elsewhere, is that bad?
    I have read a couple times you are looking at around a 10k round barrel life with a non chromed stainless barrel. Travis Haley mentions in some of his vids with a chrome lined hammer forged barrel he has well over 20k round through it without accuracy degrading. I do not doubt at all that a non plated barrel is more accurate, makes sense. There are tradeoffs with pretty much anything. My AR has a chrome lined barrel but I may get an upper with a stainless barrel sometime. I would have to get it black ion coated though, don't like the silver barrel at all.

Here Noveske has a description of the two barrel types they offer and recommend uses. http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...ay.cgi?cat=106

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by paptini View Post
    It's not just AR's, hell alot of people are going crazy selling used stuff. A few weeks ago savagemod11 and I were just driving around googling gun shops ( I was looking for a python) and there were people lined up to buy ammo in calibers they don't own, or intend to own, just so they could resell it on the internet. WTF?
    According to some here, there is no problem in doing that, it's perfectly normal behavior.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    I have read a couple times you are looking at around a 10k round barrel life with a non chromed stainless barrel. Travis Haley mentions in some of his vids with a chrome lined hammer forged barrel he has well over 20k round through it without accuracy degrading. I do not doubt at all that a non plated barrel is more accurate, makes sense. There are tradeoffs with pretty much anything. My AR has a chrome lined barrel but I may get an upper with a stainless barrel sometime. I would have to get it black ion coated though, don't like the silver barrel at all.

Here Noveske has a description of the two barrel types they offer and recommend uses. http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin...ay.cgi?cat=106
    Assuming those numbers are correct, let say someone that plinks on weekends shoots 1K a year, that's ten years of barrel life, a new barrel currently costs about $125.
    So for $12.50 a year I can have better accuracy.

Now, I have a during Clinton ban era Olympic, non lined that has well in excess of 15K run through it, I have yet to see any marked decrease in accuracy.

From the Noveske link:
    For use in any precision application, we recommend the stainless barrel for its edge in accuracy and excellent reliability.
    So it seems that even Noveske agrees that for the casual plinker that is not bumpfiring and wants an edge in accuracy, non-chrome is the way to go.

A non chromed stainless barrel similar in quality to Noveske is going quite a bit more change than $125. But yeah considering the cost of 10k rounds of ammo even a $350 barrel is not really a huge cost. If you are running iron sights and/or a red dot I don't really know if you will notice much of a difference in accuracy. On the bench with good glass, probably will notice the difference.

I agree most people do not need a chrome lined barrel. I would not really need one either. I wanted a gun I could run hard if I had to and have for decades to come. May never needto run it hard but you never know what the future will hold. Hell about a decade ago I said I would never own an AR and did not have a need for one.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516