Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cumberland County)

Default New walk-around varmint rifle.

I was at my favorite rifle store (Schuman's in Newville if it matters) this afternoon. I'm always a little like a one eyed dog in a meat market when I walk into that place. Hunting rifles and shotguns on every wall and inbetween. Anyway, I got there a bit early to be there when the UPS truck came in with my new rifle. It's a .223 CZ527 American sporter. I put a 3-9x40mm Bushnell 3200 Elite scope on it. It isn't that easy to find a scope that fits that rifle with out overpowering the rifle. This is to be a walk around varmint rifle. Probably mostly GH, but we might try it on coyotes too.

With CZ's one sort of takes potluck on the stock wood, but this one is just plain beautiful. Nice character from butplate to the tip of the fore end. Beautifully finished. I took these pictures to see if I could capture the grain.

I can hardly wait to take it and an assortments of handloads up to the range at Shippensburg and get starting finding what it likes.

There is a big fat ground hog living out behind the barn. I think maybe a 36g Barnes Varmint grenade out of this new rifle will be just the ticket to send him to GH heaven.

This is going to be fun ...

Fitch

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: New walk-around varmint rifle.

Beautiful wood grain on that rifle.

yes, ground hoggy season is coming up quickly... I dont do centerfire though... my .17 HMR (also with a 3-9x) does nicely!
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Lehigh County)

i have the LUX model 527 in 223 just to help you dont go over 50 grain ammo it wont pattern i was trying all kinds of 55g that i have for my ar with no luck went and picked up some remy 50g and hornaday 43g they work awsome

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PROVANTAGE View Post
    i have the LUX model 527 in 223 just to help you dont go over 50 grain ammo it wont pattern i was trying all kinds of 55g that i have for my ar with no luck went and picked up some remy 50g and hornaday 43g they work awsome
    Thankyouverymuch! Much appreciated. I was just about to load up 25 ea. 55g V-Max to use for sight in ammo. Sure glad I didin't do that!

I have an unopened box of 250 ea. 40g V-Max. Based on your input, I'll start with those instead. Looking at the manual, 20g of IMR4198 (which I also have) looks like a nice load for initial sight in. Once I get it on paper, I can experiment to see what groups best.

Thanks
    Fitch

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by mikepro8 View Post
    Beautiful wood grain on that rifle.

yes, ground hoggy season is coming up quickly... I dont do centerfire though... my .17 HMR (also with a 3-9x) does nicely!
    I picked off 15 GH last summer with my Savage 93R17, and some more with my CZ527 Hornet. The .17HMR is a indeed fine cartridge, shoots like a laser beam out to around 115 yards.

Fitch