Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bear in my yard

(Luzerne County)

Default Bear in my yard

I live in the country on 11 acres. I take my dog out every night about 10 pm. I carry my Ruger LCR .357 in my pocket just in case. Last night my dog and I encountered a Big black bear strolling around my barn. Inside my horse was going crazy and outside my dog was going the same. The barking and my yelling didn't bother Mr. Bear at all. After a while, he slowly left. My question.... if he came at my dog, horse, or me, and I had to use the .357,would it be effective. and where should shot placement be?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Bear in my yard

In his mouth going out the back of his head.

(Centre County)

Full load(158gr) .357magnum shot out of 4" barrel can produce the velocity in excess of 1450+fps, and 750+ft/lb or muzzle energy. While no match for things like .41magnum, or 44magnum, if well aimed, it's surely enough to stop a black bear. I'd also consider something like semi wadcutter(meplat type)nstead of JHP for the penetration of fat layer.

LCR is a great CC weapon, but potential of .357mag is hindered, due to short barrel.
    If I were you, I'd either look for .44mag or .357mag in least 4" barrel(since size does not matter as you are walking around in your own property, I may even consider a some lever action rifle in .44mag)
    Last edited by Mity2; March 23rd, 2013 at 08:38 AM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Luzerne County)

Before you even thinking of shooting a bear in self defense in Pa. it better be clawing on you back and chewing your leg off. The PGC don't take lightly to anyone killing there bears. When the woodticks drag you to court you better have deep bite marks to show the judge or face a huge fine.
    You don't have enough guns untill you don't know how many you have.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    I live in the country on 11 acres. I take my dog out every night about 10 pm. I carry my Ruger LCR .357 in my pocket just in case. Last night my dog and I encountered a Big black bear strolling around my barn. Inside my horse was going crazy and outside my dog was going the same. The barking and my yelling didn't bother Mr. Bear at all. After a while, he slowly left. My question.... if he came at my dog, horse, or me, and I had to use the .357,would it be effective. and where should shot placement be?
    After this incident have you considered carrying something that requires a sling to carry?
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Monroe County)

Call the game commission and have this bear relocated. Fresh out of hibernation he's going to eat anything he comes across.

By it's actions it's clearly used to people and has the potential to be a threat. Bears don't like dogs and will usually attack them, so don't let your dog run free until this bear is taken care of.
    “When a man cannot chose, he ceases to be a man.”

Quote Originally Posted by Arrdy View Post
    Call the game commission and have this bear relocated. Fresh out of hibernation he's going to eat anything he comes across.

By it's actions it's clearly used to people and has the potential to be a threat. Bears don't like dogs and will usually attack them, so don't let your dog run free until this bear is taken care of.
    +1

Call the PGC, they'll help you out.

(Wayne County)

Seriously?

He didn't say that the bear was eating his horse or dog, he just said that they were reacting to its presence. If you live in this area, expect to have bears walk through your yard. The only time that you need to call PGC is when the bear is routinely getting into you garbage (even after you've taken steps to prevent it OTHER than just putting the lid on the can) or pushing its way into vehicles, outbuildings or your house. Most bear control starts with not being careless with food scraps.

If the OP is really concerned about bumping in to Mr. Bruin in the dark (which is a reasonable expectation this time of year), spend the $40-$50 for a good, BIG can of bear spray and keep it by the back door so you can grab it on the way out to cover Fido while he poops. Then, if you do need to use your .357, after first having to use pepper spray, you'd have a much better case w/ the PGC/judge that you tried non-lethal methods first.

My bet is, if you have your dog trained properly, you won't even need to use the spray.

This reminds me, it's time to pick up new can of bear spray. Thanks for bringing it up.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Quote Originally Posted by nailer View Post
    The barking and my yelling didn't bother Mr. Bear at all. After a while, he slowly left.
    Bears are curious. If they/ do not feel threatened or they're away from their "territory", they don't waste their energy. Go in a female's territory with her cubs and you'll likely have a different reaction. Black bears, especially females, can be very territorial.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparxfly72 View Post
    In his mouth going out the back of his head.
    Nice...........

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    LCR is a great CC weapon, but potential of .357mag is hindered, due to short barrel.
    It's plenty strong enough with proper shot placement (face, top or side of skull straight on-not at an angle, chest if standing). Not knowing the laws in PA about shooting a bear, I'd be more inclined to use bear spray, first, if it even charges. No cubs, no food, no territory; usually no threat.

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    After this incident have you considered carrying something that requires a sling to carry?
    11 acres in the country now knowing that an occasional bear may come around, I'd carry something a little better, just to be sure, but bear spray, for sure. It works well. They remember.

Again, this bear clearly didn't feel threatened. Doesn't mean they are used to people.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    Seriously?

He didn't say that the bear was eating his horse or dog, he just said that they were reacting to its presence. Most bear control starts with not being careless with food scraps.

If the OP is really concerned about bumping in to Mr. Bruin in the dark (which is a reasonable expectation this time of year), spend the $40-$50 for a good, BIG can of bear spray and keep it by the back door so you can grab it on the way out to cover Fido while he poops. Then, if you do need to use your .357, after first having to use pepper spray, you'd have a much better case w/ the PGC/judge that you tried non-lethal methods first.
    +1
    Last edited by harold63; March 23rd, 2013 at 11:28 AM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Allegheny County)

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast