Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default raptor grip mossberg 500

So I just got this grip today. If anyone is looking for a different type of pistol grip for their shotguns this fits the bill. I just installed it today so havnt shot yet but I like the feel of it. Puts your wrist at a more comfortable angle, at least for me, I'll update after a range trip. Oh, in case your looking for info, made by shock wave technologies, solid...not hollow and very beefy, and like $34 shipped....
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: raptor grip mossberg 500

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
    So I just got this grip today. If anyone is looking for a different type of pistol grip for their shotguns this fits the bill. I just installed it today so havnt shot yet but I like the feel of it. Puts your wrist at a more comfortable angle, at least for me, I'll update after a range trip. Oh, in case your looking for info, made by shock wave technologies, solid...not hollow and very beefy, and like $34 shipped....
    Have you had a chance to shoot yet, how much of a difference does it make.

I ask this because my medical condition does not allow me to shoulder any rifle or shot gun, so i must shoot from a low hold position, i have tried a pistol grip and that is a no go, hurts like a bitch.

I have watched you tube vids of the Raptor in action and it looks like it may work for me, so when i saw that you have one i just had to ask your opinion of it.
    Last edited by redeye202; March 27th, 2013 at 01:19 PM.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Lackawanna County)

I went up to shoot it this weekend. decided to do some 4-wheelin with my 7 year old son before shooting. ended up letting him drive and he over-throttled and I went off the back. I screwed up my back and never got to shoot. I may end up headed back up our land next weekend to shoot so I will update then.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Lackawanna County)

by the way, I bought this due to a medical reason as well.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by jeremyx28 View Post
    by the way, I bought this due to a medical reason as well.

Take care of your back, the shooting can wait and so can the review.

(Montgomery County)

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I'd jump in on this one.

Above is pictured my Maverick 88 Cruiser with the Shockwave Raptor bird's head grip installed.

Today, I shot a few boxes of #8 target and then some LE-type low recoil buck and slug, about 90 rounds total. A 12 gauge setup in this way is definitely a ton of fun to shoot, but I would not really call it practical. I was definitely less accurate with the Raptor grip than I am with my fully stocked shotguns, but at defense distances it was not too hard to put in good hits. I did no shooting from the hip, all shots were "properly" aimed at eye level. At no point did I experience any discomfort, and so long as you keep enough forward pressure on the forearm, you are not likely to pop yourself in the face under recoil (at least with target or reduced recoil loads). The angle of the grip seems to work with your wrist instead of against it. After a couple hours at the range, I feel like I could've shot double or triple what I did and still feel great.

For me, the Maverick 88 is preferred over the Mossberg 500 when using this grip. The reason being, I have small hands and had to "choke up" on the grip to reach the trigger. This means that my hand was partially gripping the receiver, and the standard Mossberg tang safety would have then rubbed the web of my hand between my thumb and index finger. The Maverick's cross bolt safety, being out of the way on the trigger guard, posed no such annoyance. In turn, this grip would also be great on an 870.

In short, the Raptor grip is a ton of fun, but if it's to be on your only shotgun, I recommend choosing something with full shoulder stock, or be prepared to practice a lot with it. I'll keep this shotgun as a fun little range toy. There is something just cool about what practically amounts to a big 12 gauge pistol, but I will not be making it part of my home defense plan at this time.

(Lackawanna County)

Thank you for your review, i have a Maverick 88 Field, after reading your review i plan on ordering the grip and cutting 9 1/2 inches off the barrel, this will be my home defense gun + my have fun blowing stuff up gun.

Once again, thank you.

(Montgomery County)

I have a couple suggestions, Redeye, before you hack apart the factory barrel.

Take a look at this:
    http://www.brownells.com/magazines/s...prod25124.aspx

You can backorder a 20" barrel with a bead sight and a 7 shot mag tube, turning your shotgun into a 7+1, for $100.

You can then sell your original barrel and mag tube, and probably come close to if not completely break even on the deal, especially if your existing barrel accepts removable chokes.

If you'd rather keep it a 5+1, here's a link for a factory 18.5:
    http://www.brownells.com/shotgun-par...prod17370.aspx

$95, in stock now.

A 28" field barrel sold for $100, used on eBay recently:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mossberg-500...p2047675.l2557

I make the suggestion to go with factory barrels as a person who cut down a factory field barrel. It looked great, shot great, no problem... but when I decided to sell it off I ended up losing a few dollars in the end. If you sell your existing barrel, you can more than likely get your shortened setup for free, no need to cut, re-blue, or install a new sight. Plus, it will make your whole rig hold its value better if you decide to get something else down the line, because most people prefer to buy used gear that is unaltered.

Finally, if you are going to rely on it for HD, I would recommend practicing a LOT with it with the Raptor grip before betting your life on it. Your mileage may vary, but I was nowhere near as accurate without the full stock. This got better as the session went on. This is not my HD setup, I've got a 500 with the rifle sight version of the high cap kit and a full stock for that.

(Monroe County)

That's interesting. It looks EXACTLY like one of the grips offered by Speed Feed. Hmmmm........

(Montgomery County)

Speedfeed only appears to offer the Bird's head grip for the 870 at the moment. If you want one for the Mossberg, the Raptor grip is readily available. Shockwave also makes one for the 870 too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast