Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Stay away from whole foods

My gf works at wholefoods in Devon and I usually pick her up and drop her off at work. Sometimes it takes her a little bit longer to come out of the store and therefore I spend a lot of time on Whole Foods property and figured I should find out what their gun policies are. I sent them an E-Mail and here is their response:

Hi Marcel,

Thank you for contacting Whole Foods Market. Our policy restricting handguns in the store is driven around providing a safe working environment for our Team Members – and our intent is to extend this safe environment to our customers. In our Whole Foods Market General Information Guide (employee handbook), we state that:

“Whole Foods Market has adopted a policy that no one, including Team Members and customers, may bring firearms, concealed weapons or the like to any Whole Foods Market location. This prohibition applies, but is not limited to, any public areas of our stores, back rooms, break rooms, Team Member lockers, central kitchens, distribution centers, parking lots and garages… only commissioned law enforcement officers or other law enforcement personnel are permitted to bring firearms onto Company premises.”

Also, we have specific policies in how our Team Members respond to armed robber and state:

“If you are ever confronted by an armed robber, cooperate completely! We have a ‘no heroes’ policy which means that no Team Member should ever put themselves in danger when it comes to robbers, shoplifters, etc… Give the robber everything he or she wants.”

Again, Whole Foods Market’s “No Firearms” policy is in place for safety reasons only; while individuals in the company may have personal opinions regarding the 2nd Amendment, Whole Foods Market does not take a political position on this issue, nor is our policy intended to infer a lack of support for the 2nd Amendment. Whole Foods Market’s policy is based on state law, which allows businesses to establish and enforce a “No Firearms” policy in our stores as part of state criminal trespass laws.

We recognize that you have a choice in where you shop – and appreciate your business. I hope that this e-mail clarifies some of your concerns regarding our reasons for this policy.

If you have any further questions please use our on-line response form.

Best regards,

{name removed at request}
    Last edited by knight0334; May 13th, 2016 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Removed name

Default Re: Stay away from whole foods

I love the "only law enforcement" can carry crap

Looks like I violated their policy the one and only time I ever stepped foot in a Whole Foods. Whoops. No worries, I won't be going back ever again.

(Monroe County)

Well Sucks I was going to check them out... Well with the weirdos out there today shooting up malls and Movies and what the hell ever, wont catch me not carrying and well the state of PA says I can so to bad for them.

Just my 2 cents. Jeremy

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobdole10 View Post
    Well Sucks I was going to check them out... Well with the weirdos out there today shooting up malls and Movies and what the hell ever, wont catch me not carrying and well the state of PA says I can so to bad for them.

Just my 2 cents. Jeremy
    There is no sign against guns posted anywhere so go for it and if someone says something just tell them you didn't know. Worst that can happen is them ask you to leave or call a LEO to ask you to leave.

(Allegheny County)

Breaking news! Hippie grocery store prohibits guns!

Oh, wait. Not breaking news?
    Nevermind.

Tune in at 11 for our exclusive coverage of MALLS that prohibit weapons!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

With a name like "Carijane Grigsby-Etter" you can be sure this lady come from a long line of hippies....

I actually never been in a Whole Foods. Giant is sufficient for me.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by em2b96p View Post
    With a name like "Carijane Grigsby-Etter" you can be sure this lady come from a long line of hippies....

I actually never been in a Whole Foods. Giant is sufficient for me.

HAHAHAHAHA! Indeed.

I've been to one. It's a trendy store filed with trendy products for trendy people in a trendy part of the city.
    Got a freaking awesome "organic steak" there, but I had to shower when I got home to get all the "liberal" off of me. (shudder)

It's a store for liberal, bicycle-riding city dwellers who have more money than they know what to do with.

"Oh, look - soap made from the bark of the Egyptian poo-poo shrub!" I MUST have this!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Was it posted no firearms at the door? If not why bother asking?

If an organization is not going to post that carrying is prohibited I take that as de facto permission to carry. They might have it buried in an employee handbook (that customers are not going to see), website, or list of rules in small typeface one you are inside their store. That is hardly reasonable notification and is there more as a CYA so if something happens they can point to a no weapons policy and not be held responsible.

For most places that are not specifically pro-2a I think they ban weapons as policy because new employees and customers are cheaper that settling a lawsuit because the allowed weapons to be on their property.
    Last edited by QuackXP; March 22nd, 2013 at 11:55 AM.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

(Delaware County)

I regularly open carry in the store in Devon and ones in Virginia when I'm down there - never had any issues.
    "...The gun at my side means that I cannot be forced, only persuaded...It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force."
    Marko Kloos 2007

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast