Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Tioga County)

Default Universal Background Checks: the Liberal Holy Grail

Feinstein's assault rifle ban has been removed from the Senate gun-control bill. While that is good news, it was recognized from the beginning as a bridge too far. What has survived, and may well become law, all in the spirit of bipartisan compromise, will actually be far worse.

Read more: http://www.americanthinker.com/2013/...#ixzz2OGzEGmAL
    MikeP

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Universal Background Checks: the Liberal Holy Grail

That is how it's done! Show you one horrible possibility and one 'not so horrible' shelter that you can run to. When you arrive at that shelter, you find the monster lives there!

Ok, so we won't ban your guns, but in return you have to tell us who all has them and what exactly you have and you have to open your medical records, and oh , just throw those cumbersome Fourth Amendment rights in that round file over there by the door as you enter the shelter.

(Greene County)

Another piece of legislation that they're trying to pass is the mental health screenings.. Here in PA, they already do some sort of mental health screening, as I have a friend who about 10 years ago was taken to a mental facility for evaluation over a complete misunderstanding and now cannot own a firearm because of this, even though he wouldn't hurt a fly.. What about people who suffered from mild depression or anxiety at one point in their lives? Or a soldier who was treated for PTSD when coming home from war? Some people with PTSD may be a threat to others, most are not.. Same goes with people who have suffered from despression or anxiety, although they're more of a threat to themselves than to others.. So what's the "line in the sand" where this person would be considered dangerous and this person is not? They could push this as far as if you have some sort of mental health treatment in the past, you wouldnt be able to own firearms.. I say this because I've suffered from anxiety (panic attacks), and I would be absolutely LIVID if I were to lose my 2nd amendment rights because of it.. I'm no danger to anyone that doesnt pose a threat to myself or my family.. Remember, if you try to purchase a firearm and are denied, the FFL reports that (I believe at least) to authorities and then they would be knocking on your door to take the rest of your firearms.. Pretty scary stuff if you ask me!!!

The land o' cotton, old times there are not forgotten

First of all, there is no gun show loophole. People who sell firearms at gun shows are licensed Federal Firearms Licensed (FFL) dealers to begin with. Other people can set up a table at a gun show to sell tee shirts, laser sights, hand grips and other shooting accessories. Unless they are FFL dealers, they cannot sell guns.
    Not necessarily true. Non-licensees may, in many states, sell at gun shows as a face to face transaction. I don't have a problem with Jim-Bob selling off his excess guns at a gun show. I have issues with the people who are doing it as a business and skirting the law by not having an FFL.

I've been told by friends in the mid-West that they'll go to gun shows and there'll be "unlicensed dealers" there who have tables filled with guns and these guys are there at every show. It really stretches the imagination to believe that these guys happen to have 20 unfired Sigs that were just filling up their basements.

How many criminals actually get their guns this way? Not many according to ATF but these "dealers" cast a bad image for the gun world and one would think that ATF would be going after them.

When you sift through all the bullshit these law makers want to propose it all boils down to disarming every law abiding citizen. Plain and simple. None of these proposals will do anything to prevent crime. They will sugar coat it every which way to make it look like it will. Sorry, I am not buying it and I know just about everyone on this forum knows it.

Hell, this administration can't and won't enforce whats on the books already. If they did, we would not be where we are today.

Keep hammering these elected officials and tell them "NO" on any and all gun control related bills!

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    Not necessarily true. Non-licensees may, in many states, sell at gun shows as a face to face transaction. I don't have a problem with Jim-Bob selling off his excess guns at a gun show. I have issues with the people who are doing it as a business and skirting the law by not having an FFL.

I've been told by friends in the mid-West that they'll go to gun shows and there'll be "unlicensed dealers" there who have tables filled with guns and these guys are there at every show. It really stretches the imagination to believe that these guys happen to have 20 unfired Sigs that were just filling up their basements.

How many criminals actually get their guns this way? Not many according to ATF but these "dealers" cast a bad image for the gun world and one would think that ATF would be going after them.
    They should just get rid of FFLs altogeter... no more BATFE

(Northampton County)

we need to STOP this crap... this is just a form of registration and will cost us ALL more money if passed. If you can give a friend of 20+ years, or a family member a gun that was granpa's then thats a major issue. i have NO issue with selling FTF private sales, most criminals get them on the street corner and are after pistols, not rifles or shotguns. As said before, they just want to ban everyone. I too have a friend that was at kidspeace when he was young over a misunderstanding, and he too is barred, BS, hasnt been in ANY trouble in 10+ years (he is under 35). These folks are good enough to work, and pay taxes, and so they should have ALL rights restored back! he doesnt have the 4000-6000 it would cost to fix all this either so its a messed up system to say the least, and yet i know people who WERE in trouble many times that have tons of guns, but they pleaded all the things down to not get on the list.

WE ALL NEED TO KEEP UP THE HEAT AND TELL THEM NOT TO VOTE FOR ANYTHING NEW!!!!!
    Sec. 21. The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post

I have heard this before and I don't understand why it is not prosecuted. Fortunately when the topic has been brought up by anti's to me before and I usually ask "if it is so apparent and obvious why does the federal government not prosecute them, they have laws against it and a large agecny to deal with it." They have no answer but neither do I other than they say very few guns are received by criminals this way and they have larger issues to deal with.

(Bucks County)

At the risk of pissing off some very close family and friends, I firmly believe if you are taking anti-depressants, you should not have access to a gun. If you convinced your doctor (even if it's just because you don't want to have to cope, or just want a little escape), or if your doctor became convinced through observation/diagnosis, that you NEED to be taking mood elevators, you absolutely do not need to be in possesion of a firearm. or knife, or hammer, or keys to a car for that matter.
    Sorry, but I grew up with a Mom, who I loved dearly, that severely needed anti-depressants (and never got them) and I consequently have very firm beliefs about who shouldn't have access to a gun. Or a knife, or a baseball bat, and definitely not a fan belt, and I have the scars to backup this position. I'm old enough that these things were swept under carpets back then. Today, Mom would be in prison and never see a child again. Back then, people would send their kids to live with Grandma and Grandpa until the scars healed.

I liked working/living on the farm. I felt safe there.

(Monroe County)

Expanded background checks will be abused.

First instance of abuse is where the background checks are used to create in illegal national gun registry.

The powers that be... can also lower the bar so that a person with a small misdemeanor for a bar fight back when they were in college is considered a prohibited person. In some states / cities excessive speeding or downloading a lot of music can get you a felony charge. Felonies are no longer restricted to violent crimes. How long before spitting on the sidewalk prohibits you from owning a gun?

Then they have the whole domestic violence side they are trying to stretch to include just grabbing someone's wrist or shoving someone out of your way as you walk out the door. No end to the amount of abuse that background checks will eventually lead to.

In NYC if you have a gun permit, the police randomly call your house and ask your family members if you every display any signs of stress or great anger... and then pick at that. The wrong answers by your family will get your permit revoked.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast