Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Luzerne County)

Question Mossberg Pump guns

I have always used Rem 870's and am not really familiar with the Mossberg line of shotguns. I have never shot one but have picked several up and checked them over(used ones). And found a trend in them it seems everyone that i can think of the fore-ends always seem loose and giggly. I do not know if they were just neglected or just all happen to just be that way for whatever reason( I would really love to know if this is a fixable thing or just something you just have to live with). I was thinking of adding to my collection of shotties with a 590A1 but i am a little concerned with this issue. I have no doubts that Mossbergs are a nice firearm and will work with little or no issues but it is still racking my brain with this. With all of that said i am not sure myself what all my questions really are but any information on Mossbergs shotguns would be helpful. I am not trying to make this a anti-Mossberg thread just a informational thread so like i said any info will be appreciated good or bad trying to look at it from all angles.

Thanks and Best Regards;
    Linchpin

Default Re: Mossberg Pump guns

The forend on Mossberg shotguns is loose by design. I thought it was odd when I first handled one, but you get used to it. I own a 590A1 and love it.

(Jefferson County)

You have to get over the "tight is good" mentality. Loose is why AK47's and wartime 1911's are reliable.

There would probably something wrong with a Mossberg 500 or 590 if the slide didn't rattle a bit. While bigger gaps makes it easier for dirt to get in, it also makes it easier for dirt to get out. Bury a 500 or 590 in sand, dig it back out, stand it on its muzzle and a whack it a couple times and the sand will fall out. With a 870 their would like be some left in the slide's forend tube assembly that goes up and down the magazine, grinding away at the metal.

I've owned two 500's in my life, and I'm not sure how many friends and relatives have had 500's over the years - but that loose fore arm/slide never caused a problem. The US Navy, Marines, and Coast Guard use the 590, same with some special forces too. ...if it is good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Many parts on the 500 are loose and rattly, that's the point. I recently bought a used one and willfully shot a bunch of sticks and leaves through it, didn't cause any kind of problem. The only thing that sucks about it is until you get used to handling it, it makes a lot of noise while you're carrying it around.

(Bucks County)

I got a 590A1 #51670. Slide rattles a little, but like others have said, it's normal. Runs smooth (after a slight break in) and have had no issues with it. Highly recommend.
    5.56mm, 9mm, .40SW, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, .22LR, 12GA, .45-70, 7.62x54R

When I started hunting all I could afford was a Mossberg 500. I have used it for trap for years. It has several thousand trap rounds through it. Rattles now like it did new.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Bucks County)

Can't say I've ever heard of any reliability issues with Mossbergs, so when you consider how many have been sold, they're right up there with 870's for that. When previous poster stated you can bury in dirt/sand whatever and it will fire whereas an 870 would gunk, that is probably true. If it is your intention to treat your shotgun like that, then a Mossberg definitely fits the bill.

I have the 590a1 its good rifle my first shotgun .
    Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Were you wearing 5.11 pants?I make you guys all the time.