Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default Range distance from well

I am planning on building a practice range on my farm and have a couple of potential sites picked out. The site that lends itself well and will take the least amount of investment is about 100 feet from my wellhead. Is this too close? Is there a standard distance that range backstops should be from a well to avoid heavy metal contamination of water?
    Thank you in advance.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Range distance from well

I assume your worried about lead contamination?
    IMO, your well is way to deep to be concerned with lead contamination from surface sources. {that asumming you don't have a ''dug well''}
    The real problem in farming areas, is all the years of fertilizer use on crops. Water run off eventually finding it's way into the drinking water.Your may already have lead in your water. A lot of counties will test your water for free or a minimal charge.
    My brother lives in a rural farming area of Maryland and all the well water needs a purification system. Even then, his water taste like crap.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    Even then, his water taste like crap.
    Da-doom-cha!

I see a punn in this comment.......

Edit to by-pass the punn.....

Seriously, the lead contamination will not effect you so long as you don't fire a thousand rounds per day.

If you are worried about the contamination but really want the range where you want it then simply maintain your backstop and everything will be just fine. As stupid as it may sound, a sifter machine isn't that expensive or difficult o build as long as you have the mechanical aptitude for it.

Sift through your backstop every few months depending on how many rounds you send down range.

I have a metal backstop and am constantly changing the range to improve it so when I do I clean the lead and copper from the ground as best as I can.
    Last edited by G23neverjams; March 20th, 2013 at 11:52 PM. Reason: more info
    Never underestimate the stupidity of your fellow human. Always carry a weapon!

(Northampton County)

Thank you all for your replies. Yes, lead contamination is what I was concerned about. We've got lots of recommendations on the books on how far to keep livestock from a well (100 ft minimum) to avoid contamination but cannot find anything on lead from backstop. I guess if I adhere to the 100' rule with livestock, all should be fine.
    Thanks again.

(Luzerne County)

PA has no private water supply construction regulations. There may be local ordinances where you are located related to wells. This means that thousands of private water supplies in this Commonwealth are at risk for contamination from a variety of sources. These sources include septic, surface contamination, flooding, livestock and agricultural practices and many others. I suggest that you first attempt to obtain the well completion report from the drilling company or PA Dept of Conservation and Natural Resources. This may tell you the total depth, depth to water bearing zones, recharge rate, whether casing was installed and how much casing. Casing is useful in preventing surface contamination but it becomes more protective if grouted or cemented in place at time of install. You may want to take some pre-range water tests by contacting a local testing company (yellowpages or google). You may also want to ensure that any runoff from your range is directed away from the well head to prevent surface contamination. I would never put my backstop near the well but the firing line might be a possibility. Remember that lead and heavy metals are involved in all aspects of shooting. I certainly wouldn't want to expose children or pregnant women to lead contaminated drinking water. Also think of the future sales value if you do contaminate the well.

If you can't tell, I do this stuff for a living.

(Warren County)

Build a bullet trap. Recycle the projectiles. There is somebody near you somewhere that will pay for lead/copper.

You avoid all possibility (remote as it may be) that lead oxide will somehow build up and leach into your well.

32 pages of discussion here:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...recycling-lead
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

Quote Originally Posted by Placer View Post
    I guess if I adhere to the 100' rule with livestock, all should be fine.
    Thanks again.
    I've dealt with this "shit" all my life...I'd rather have the lead.

Kicking aside (though it's true), my best friend's back stop is on one side of his fish pond. We sift it a couple times a year. Yea, it's hard work, but it doesn't take long and the moisture doesn't really get near the lead unless it rains a lot, and then he just pushes the mound back up with a Bobcat. There is more stuff already in the ground than what you're going to do, anyway.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.