Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default P238--->P938 upgrade?

Seem like a logical step ahead? Before anyone even says it, do not turn this into a caliber vs caliber pissing match. I'm looking at this as a cost and availability thing. Has anyone done/seen/read a side by side of the two of them?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: P238--->P938 upgrade?

I love my 238 and would love to have the 938 as well. If your question was, if a 238 could be upgraded, the answer would be no. Two different guns, the 938 is bigger, although by not much. It also has a stronger barrel, etc.

Just wish they made the 938 in the rainbow titanium that I got the 238 with.

~r~

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bronzdragon View Post
    I love my 238 and would love to have the 938 as well. If your question was, if a 238 could be upgraded, the answer would be no. Two different guns, the 938 is bigger, although by not much. It also has a stronger barrel, etc.

Just wish they made the 938 in the rainbow titanium that I got the 238 with.

~r~
    Not that. Just wondering if trading the 380 to 9mm would be worth it. Even though ammo is scarce all around, 380 is a real PITA to find. I've heard of a few people having some teething problems with them but I'm guessing that was like a lot of things and first batch hiccups. Either that or people not knowing how to properly run a new gun.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    Just wondering if trading the 380 to 9mm would be worth it.
    You run the risk of taking a bath on a trade, even if you can find a P938. Sell it outright if you really want a different gun.

What about the P238 don't you like?

--Phil

(Beaver County)

I've had a 238 SAS since it was available have about 500 rounds of SD ammo through it now. Never a hiccup.

It is what it is "a back-up". Sometimes used as a primary depending on situation but primarily a bug.

All ammo is hard to come by now. Hell 9mm may be the worst to get. Come on you don't see people dumpin their AR's cause 223 was near a buck a round. All ammo will come back in stock.

And on a side note if you didn't have enough ammo stocked up before this it's your fault. I've though we have already crossed that bridge that you can never have enough ammo unless your swimming or on fire.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

These comparisons should make it a little easier for you. I'm not saying the 9mm is a down right no brainer, though it hands down out performs the .380 by quite a bit, but what this does show is with the right .380, you don't have to feel insecure. If you have the $$$ means to upgrade, then by all means, do so. If you can't, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. My wife carried a .380 for four years and I never worried about her not having enough gun, but like you, we felt the upgrade was worth it for performance and cost reasons. .380 is too much $$$ to shoot, much. JMHO

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_fi...otionVideo.htm

http://www.brassfetcher.com/index_fi...SlowMotion.htm
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    223 was near a buck a round.
    $999 for 1000 rds, here. There was talk of it going to $1100 in a week. My AR's, recently, have been doubling as dust magnets and conversation pieces.
    Last edited by harold63; March 20th, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    You run the risk of taking a bath on a trade, even if you can find a P938. Sell it outright if you really want a different gun.

What about the P238 don't you like?

--Phil
    Not a thing, actually. Other than having to pay for 380.

Quote Originally Posted by DucatiRon View Post
    I've had a 238 SAS since it was available have about 500 rounds of SD ammo through it now. Never a hiccup.

It is what it is "a back-up". Sometimes used as a primary depending on situation but primarily a bug.

All ammo is hard to come by now. Hell 9mm may be the worst to get. Come on you don't see people dumpin their AR's cause 223 was near a buck a round. All ammo will come back in stock.

And on a side note if you didn't have enough ammo stocked up before this it's your fault. I've though we have already crossed that bridge that you can never have enough ammo unless your swimming or on fire.
    This is a hobby and SD for me. It's not an obsession like it is for some people. I have other bills that are a little more important than going out and picking another box of ammo. Especially considering the current climate. But, saying about not ditching a given gun because of current ammo pricing is a good point. It would just be more $$$ out of my pocket that I wouldn't do much with since there's nothing to shoot.

(Westmoreland County)

I did this very upgrade. Still have my P238, but loved it because it shoots so well with the great sights and figured the 938 would be the same. Have not run much through the P938 but am pretty happy. The 938 is just a hair bigger in all dimensions, so my crossbreed holster wont work but the leather pocket holster is snug but usable. I have actually been considering selling my 238 finally as I really haven't touched it since I got my 938 Extreme.

(Allegheny County)

hmm,,
    started with the ruger LCP,, " upgraded " to the Sig P 238 ..

got a P 938 , but do not feel it is an " upgrade " in guns , but more of a
    same pistol, differnt caliber ..

both 238 & 938 have run smoothly and constant ..

938 on the hip, and the 238 in the pocket when the cloth does not cover .

if the question is about the firearm , not the caliber ,, they are so similar and the reliability are great for both ..

yes , the 238 is slightly smaller , can tell the most in the width of the grip ,

I would have it as , one is good , the other is the same ,, take your pick

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast