Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Visiting a relative at Camp Hill SCI

I have a relative that is currently an inmate at Camp Hill SCI, and I am trying to find an alternative to leaving my firearm at home, since I will probably be running other errands the day I go to visit. The prison does not provide anywhere to check a firearm, and does not allow leaving a firearm in you car (which they claim is subject to search at any time). I tried calling the Cumberland County Sherriff's Dept, and tey will not allow me to check my firearm there will I visit CHSCI. Any other ideas?
    "Give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Visiting a relative at Camp Hill SCI

I would say park close and walk. But the only thing I see close and on the same road is a church to the south west. I would worry about such a big church that it might also be a school. There is a mall to the north but you would have to cut through some wooded area (probably private property) cross the railroad tracks and you would be approaching the prison from the rear. I can see that possibly not going well. To walk around from the mall using roads is a few miles.
    "No, it's just a machine. I'm the weapon." - Jack Harper in Oblivion

If you were willing to drive all the way to Carlisle and check your firearm at the sheriff's office to visit SCI Camp Hill (a 20 miles distance), why not leave it at home and drive from York which is about the same distance?

I understand your dilemma and the desire to have your firearm on you for the balance of the day. However, I'd say you have 2 legal options

1. Leave it in your car and park off SCI property

2. Leave it at home

I said legal because you have already identified a 3rd option which is leaving it in your car at the facility. This would not be worth the risk. If you were that 1% that get searched you would never have to worry about where to leave your gun again.

Wish I could offer a better solution!

(Cambria County)

Could park in a local mall or shopping center. Leave pistol in car locked up, call a cab to take you to the prison.

Funny part is that if they ever searched employees cars. They would probably find firearms in half of them. If anyone sees the need to carry, it is someone working in corrections. And hunting season. Probably rifles in 3/4 of the cars.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    I would say park close and walk. But the only thing I see close and on the same road is a church to the south west. I would worry about such a big church that it might also be a school. There is a mall to the north but you would have to cut through some wooded area (probably private property) cross the railroad tracks and you would be approaching the prison from the rear. I can see that possibly not going well. To walk around from the mall using roads is a few miles.
    I have attended services there with a member and there were more than just he and I that were carrying. Another option is to enter the Church driveway and follow the exit lane to the left that drives to the baseball field. Park and walk down the dirt road hill to the Camp Hill SCI from their.
    Brian - US Navy Retired - If you aren't having fun doing it, find something else to do.

(Berks County)

Find a friend to drop you off at the entrance and pick you up later.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post

There is also a swamp you would have to through also

(York County)

Thanks for the help. I didnt realize the courthouse was that far away from the SCI, it was just the first idea that came to mind for me. It's looking like my best bet will be to just leave it at home and just make my visit a specific trip there and back, I just dont trust leaving a firearm and loaded magazines in an unattended vehicle.
    "Give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

I have a GunVault in my car. Cost about $40. Heavy steel box with a key lock and a cable loop that attaches to a sturdy point in the car. Qualifies for use in luggage per TSA.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by bill gray View Post
    Qualifies for use in luggage per TSA.
    Doesn't qualify as permitted on the property per DOC.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast