Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Glock 32/19 why so smooth ,something wrong?

Hi Guys, Maybe some of you more experienced handgunners could shed some light on this for me:

I just installed a Lone wolf conversion barrel into my Glock 32 (.357 Sig) making it into a Glock 19( 9mm)

Now the Gun shoots extremely light with minimal recoil and muzzle climb, very smooth , much lighter recoil than my Glock 17 9mm
    Which shouldnt be because the Glock 17 is bigger and heavier.

I weighed both barrels , the original Glock 32 barrel weighs 3.8 ounces and the new Lonewolf barrel also weighs 3.8 ounces so no weight were added to the gun.
    Is this Normal ? Or is there a problem i havent yet detected?
    I am using the same recoil spring from the Glock 32 (.357 Sig) And Glock 17 mags.

Thanks for your input,

Michael Richard Nyman

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Glock 32/19 why so smooth ,something wrong?

Different type of rifling perhaps?? Polygonal versus Ballard.

So, their may be different amounts of bullet friction against the barrel, which would increase pressures in the barrel with more friction, thus would result in more recoil.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Lehigh County)

I'm going to talk out of my arse for a sec and it's important you know that, because I'm by no means a subject matter expert on this.

If you're using a recoil spring designed for a .357 but you're shooting 9mm, would the recoil not be expected to be minimal? Edit: Or at least lessened?

I would also think a heavier recoil spring would mean less felt recoil. Could pose a problem if shooting light reloads with the 357 Sig spring.
    Rick - NRA Endowment Member
    Gun Owners of America
    Second Amendment Foundation

Less bottoming with the heavier spring translates into feeling smoother and less muzzle rise since the slide bottoming causes some of the muzzle rise and 'clanky' feel with a semi. My opinion is to run the stiffest spring that will still not spit the brass down your shirt. Semi's always feel better when you have this balance. Curious to know where the brass is being spent with the .357 Sig spring and the 9mm, combined. Add to that what Knight says about less friction and it's a two-fer.
    BCM and Glock...for a bigger pile of 'cold dead hands' brass.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by 300WM View Post
    Less bottoming with the heavier spring translates into feeling smoother and less muzzle rise since the slide bottoming causes some of the muzzle rise and 'clanky' feel with a semi. My opinion is to run the stiffest spring that will still not spit the brass down your shirt. Semi's always feel better when you have this balance. Curious to know where the brass is being spent with the .357 Sig spring and the 9mm, combined. Add to that what Knight says about less friction and it's a two-fer.
    This is the only difference i have noticed so far , the brass is going almost straight up and landing on my should or head as oppsed to just going straight out and landing sideways with the .357.

Yah its a ss barrel as opposed to the blued Glock barrel, maybe the ss barrel is more slicker.

When i researched the recoil spring issue on the Glock store website they were listing the same spring for the .357 and 9mm and .40 so i were assuming that those 3 used the same spring.
    Now tha you mention it i will check the stiffness on my Glock 17 to see if the .357 spring is indeed stiffer.
    I were using Speer gold dot 124 grain +p , no failure to function whatsoever.
    I also tried some weak WWB 115 grain range ammo and they too functioned flawlessly.

Thanks guys.

(York County)

I would say there is some credibility to the heavier recoil spring argument. I can't help but wonder, given the vigorous nature of the 357sig, if maybe the slide isn't heavier ( more mass would slow the slide) than the 17's slide. I don't know if that's the case, its just a thought.

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by DClan View Post
    I would say there is some credibility to the heavier recoil spring argument. I can't help but wonder, given the vigorous nature of the 357sig, if maybe the slide isn't heavier ( more mass would slow the slide) than the 17's slide. I don't know if that's the case, its just a thought.
    17 lbs. is the factory spring weight for all Glock models. For example, Lone Wolf Distributors lists the Glock OEM recoil spring for 19, 23, 32, 38. That is all of the compact frames except for the 29/30, which are a different size.

I've read that the recoil on a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is less than on the models with longer barrels. Could the reduced barrel length be the cause of less felt recoil?

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Breadman03 View Post
    ...I've read that the recoil on a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan is less than on the models with longer barrels. Could the reduced barrel length be the cause of less felt recoil?
    I know barrels are often designed to get maximum velocity. Too long and the bullet begins to slow down before it even leaves the barrel with the additional drag of the rifling. Too short and you don't get the bullet up to full velocity before it leaves the barrel and you lose back pressure. Remember recoil is just physics in action: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Force is mass x velocity. Reduce velocity with a short barrel, you've reduced force, and the result is less opposite force, or recoil.
    Sorry to be such a nerd!

Don't know what generation you have but the Gen3 19/23/32 use the same RSA so if you kept the stock RSA there is no difference. Slide weight differences between a G19 and a G32 are very small.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast